Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about lowering

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:12 AM
jd911
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the F45 package on mine. It was fully lowered on stock bolts when I bought it. I did not like the rear down look and I found the rear suspension way too soft, much softer than the front when stepping over bumps. Very loose coming off corners. The rear would bottom out very hard over dips in the road.

Somewhere, I found posts that said for best handling on the C5, the rear should be .2 to 1/4 inch higher in the rear than the front, measured at points on the frame.

That is what I shot for, raising the rear while leaving the front where it was. I cut a 2x4 for a measuring block that would just slide under the frame at the jacking point in the front and then ended up raising the rear first 3 turns and then 2 more full turns on the ride height bolts and eyeballed a quarter of an inch at the rear jacking points.

With the F45 suspension the difference in ride and handling was nothing short of amazing. The front and rear now step over bumps just about the same. No more bottoming out of the rear suspension on any dips or holes. No more loosey goosey coming off the corners. Very neutral from the apex off while on the gas. No more secondary bunny hops from the rear suspension. I doubt I'll ever change the ride height again. YMMV, just MHO.

Jim

Last edited by jd911; 11-21-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:17 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
I was wondering why the front bumper looks so high off the ground. Why is your spoiler removed?
In the earlier pictures I had the sides removed & the center was flush to my Fangs & the car would at low speeds run between the 200-230, I then ordered a new center section & cut it to be 1" below the fangs & now car runs 190-200, my sides have been off the car since I bought it in 2010.

At my current ride height, only issue I have had is leaving my driveway, if I go too fast my fangs hit.

Name:  DSC06305 2_zpsxwtpjf6c.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  535.3 KB
Old 11-24-2017, 05:53 AM
SAYUNCL
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The following users liked this post:
soofrsh (01-08-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 06:40 PM
Z06Coop
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jd911
I have the F45 package on mine. It was fully lowered on stock bolts when I bought it. I did not like the rear down look and I found the rear suspension way too soft, much softer than the front when stepping over bumps. Very loose coming off corners. The rear would bottom out very hard over dips in the road.

Somewhere, I found posts that said for best handling on the C5, the rear should be .2 to 1/4 inch higher in the rear than the front, measured at points on the frame.

That is what I shot for, raising the rear while leaving the front where it was. I cut a 2x4 for a measuring block that would just slide under the frame at the jacking point in the front and then ended up raising the rear first 3 turns and then 2 more full turns on the ride height bolts and eyeballed a quarter of an inch at the rear jacking points.

With the F45 suspension the difference in ride and handling was nothing short of amazing. The front and rear now step over bumps just about the same. No more bottoming out of the rear suspension on any dips or holes. No more loosey goosey coming off the corners. Very neutral from the apex off while on the gas. No more secondary bunny hops from the rear suspension. I doubt I'll ever change the ride height again. YMMV, just MHO.

Jim
Thanks Jim. This is exactly what I am going for with mine. So just to confirm your front are all the way down on stock bolts and your rears are 5 full turns higher then the lowest setting?

Last edited by Z06Coop; 12-31-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:55 PM
kobrak
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default wheels are awesome

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve
Mostly about the look, I look at how the rim sits up in the wheel well, how it flows with the shape of the wheel well, or I guess you could say it looks better if the lines of the rim are as close to parallel to the wheel well shape as you can get it. I also think the diameter of the rim will also have an affect on how it looks at different heights.

STOCK HEIGHT
Attachment 48227156

19" LOWERED 1/2" FRONT 3/4" REAR
Attachment 48227159

19/20 LOWERED 1/2" & 3/4"
Attachment 48227170

20/20 LOWERED 1/2" & 3/4"
Attachment 48227171

19" 1" LOWER ON DROP SPINDLES
Attachment 48227173

19/20 DROP SPINDLES
Attachment 48227174

20/20 DROP SPINDLES
Attachment 48227175
I'm not a wheel guy, but I need these. Are they the CCW's or whatever I see mentioned in Wheel posts? Any info is appreciated 6SS!
Old 01-03-2018, 06:20 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by kobrak
I'm not a wheel guy, but I need these. Are they the CCW's or whatever I see mentioned in Wheel posts? Any info is appreciated 6SS!
CCW SP200 they are not listed on their web site, but they have other styles that are similar, if you want that wheel you would need to special order.
The following users liked this post:
kobrak (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

What is this ‘Super Low’ C5’s you speak of? You mean 4X4’s don’t you! I hated having to get my Rubber Maid step ladder out just to get in this thing!
“You’re scrapping on everything”? Your front spoiler is plastic, and hinged, designed to flex, cheap to replace...nothing to get exited about.

frank

HRE. 545R, 19/20's, Pirelli P Zero's, tubbed, on C/O’s.

Attachment 48153285

Attachment 48153286

Last edited by JETZ; 01-04-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:08 AM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I've owned 2 Corvettes in the past few years. When I purchased them they were both lowered with lowering bolts. They also both rode like complete ****. Most people do this for looks. If it's for handling, it's the wrong way to do it.

The car will scrape everything. It will bottom out on the suspension all the time. This could be very dangerous while taking a turn at higher speeds.

I raised both my vettes back up. I turned the stock bolts just a few turns to make it look a little better, while retaining the better ride.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:48 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by EVLGTO
I've owned 2 Corvettes in the past few years. When I purchased them they were both lowered with lowering bolts. They also both rode like complete ****. Most people do this for looks. If it's for handling, it's the wrong way to do it.

The car will scrape everything. It will bottom out on the suspension all the time. This could be very dangerous while taking a turn at higher speeds.

I raised both my vettes back up. I turned the stock bolts just a few turns to make it look a little better, while retaining the better ride.
while on Vacation we stayed at a Condo with secured parking, it had speed bumps that were huge, at crawl speed the C 5 (standard height) bottomed out and scraped. We were afraid of getting hung up !!! Also our C 6 Z slightly lowered scrapes all the time in the sh** streets of Oklahoma City !!!!
Old 01-08-2018, 05:32 PM
soofrsh
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

lowered mine instantly after purchasing it. previous owner must've really liked the raked hot rod look. no issues personally with scraping since its on stock bolts. they look better lowered IMO
Old 01-08-2018, 05:51 PM
jd911
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Coop
Thanks Jim. This is exactly what I am going for with mine. So just to confirm your front are all the way down on stock bolts and your rears are 5 full turns higher then the lowest setting?
Sorry for the delay. It was either 5 full or 5 half turns, it's been a while. Every time you make an adjustment you have to drive it to let the suspension settle back down. I shot for the rear .2 inch higher than the front measured at the jacking points near the rocker panels. I cut a 2x4 to just clear the front jacking point and then kept adjusting and then going for a drive, and then eyeballed .2 inch at the rear points.

Jim

Quick Reply: Question about lowering