Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about lowering

 
Old 11-18-2017, 10:16 AM
  #1  
CactusCat
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CactusCat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 2,899
Thanked 194 Times in 145 Posts
Default Question about lowering

I've oftened wondered why folks lower their super low C5s. Maybe a few of you can chime in and give me your opinion. Is it to make the car "racier" looking (like the C5R?) or is it to make the wheel well look filled in so that not so much free space is showing around the tire? Is it the stance you're trying to achieve or what? If trying to fill out the wheel well, wouldn't it make sense to use a larger tire? If stance is the goal, I guess I could understand that but sure seems that super low C5s being lowered even more causes a lot of problems for the sake of looking good. I've not ever lowered my car and I rub on stuff all the time. A lowered vehicle would be a bad thing where I live. However, when I went to larger tires on front and back (both front and rear are 1.5" taller tires) the wheel wells are filled nicely and the car rides better plus has been raised so that I don't rub hardly ever now. Plus it still seems really low to me. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by CactusCat; 11-18-2017 at 10:18 AM.
CactusCat is offline  
Old 11-18-2017, 11:08 AM
  #2  
Pounder
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Pounder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Shawnee Oklahoma
Posts: 9,686
Thanked 1,419 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

when I met my now wife, her C 6 ZO 6 was lowered some and in Ok. the roads are horrible, the car bottomed out regularly !!!!! We AutoX this car and went with 18's all around due to the availability of 200 compound tires. made the car even worst with DD and I raised the car back to about 5/8 of a inch between tire and fender, looks better (IMO) and rides so much better, not to mention getting in and out of many driveways !!!!!
Pounder is offline  
Old 11-18-2017, 04:55 PM
  #3  
Grandpa1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: Wichita Falls Texas
Posts: 354
Thanks: 0
Thanked 77 Times in 55 Posts
Default

When I bought my 03 Vert around five months ago it had been lowered using the stock bolts. The owner said he liked the way it looked and I agree, it did look good.
I drove it around 140 miles home and it drug in a few places and I just didn't like the sound or feel of the dragging at all.
When my wife drove it she complained about it before we got a mile from the house.
I did a search on the forum and raised it back up using the stock bolts.
The dragging is gone now and I think it still looks pretty dang good!
To each his own.
Raised or lowered I think the C5 is a beautiful vehicle!
Grandpa1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Grandpa1 For This Useful Post:
msandym (01-07-2018)
Old 11-18-2017, 05:07 PM
  #4  
knewblewkorvette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
knewblewkorvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 10,727
Thanked 547 Times in 475 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-18-'19

Default

Originally Posted by CactusCat View Post
I've oftened wondered why folks lower their super low C5s. Maybe a few of you can chime in and give me your opinion. Is it to make the car "racier" looking (like the C5R?) or is it to make the wheel well look filled in so that not so much free space is showing around the tire? Is it the stance you're trying to achieve or what? If trying to fill out the wheel well, wouldn't it make sense to use a larger tire? If stance is the goal, I guess I could understand that but sure seems that super low C5s being lowered even more causes a lot of problems for the sake of looking good. I've not ever lowered my car and I rub on stuff all the time. A lowered vehicle would be a bad thing where I live. However, when I went to larger tires on front and back (both front and rear are 1.5" taller tires) the wheel wells are filled nicely and the car rides better plus has been raised so that I don't rub hardly ever now. Plus it still seems really low to me. Let me know what you think.
I'm surprised going 1.5" bigger didn't throw off the TC
knewblewkorvette is offline  
Old 11-18-2017, 05:16 PM
  #5  
Patches
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Patches's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA
Posts: 23,084
Thanked 714 Times in 479 Posts
Default

Geez! What a bunch of whining little babies!

Just kidding, boys!

First thing I did when I brought my '02 home from the dealer in Oct. of '01 was lower it. Looked like a 4x4 when I picked it up. I lower it for looks, to fill in the wheel well and for stance.

My C7 daily driver is even lower - I have maybe 1-1/2" clearance below my side skirts and I have no problem scraping, but then, I have lots of practice. And California has the 49th worst-condition roads in the US according to a recent survey.


Last edited by Patches; 11-18-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Patches is offline  
Old 11-18-2017, 06:36 PM
  #6  
02BlownZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
02BlownZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Kansas
Posts: 1,681
Thanked 334 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Lowering a C5 is definitely a wicked and desired look. The trade off is that it will not ride as well. I lowered mine with aftermarket bolts and it is fairly slammed. I swapped in Bilstein shocks and that helped a bunch but I am thinking coilovers would be the best if you want to stay slammed. Surprisingly, scraping isn't really that much worse if you use some due diligence in your driving methods.
02BlownZ06 is offline  
Old 11-18-2017, 06:49 PM
  #7  
Pounder
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Pounder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Shawnee Oklahoma
Posts: 9,686
Thanked 1,419 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06 View Post
Lowering a C5 is definitely a wicked and desired look. The trade off is that it will not ride as well. I lowered mine with aftermarket bolts and it is fairly slammed. I swapped in Bilstein shocks and that helped a bunch but I am thinking coilovers would be the best if you want to stay slammed. Surprisingly, scraping isn't really that much worse if you use some due diligence in your driving methods.
have you driven in Oklahoma City ??????????????????
Pounder is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Pounder For This Useful Post:
LowRyter (11-30-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 06:56 PM
  #8  
02BlownZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
02BlownZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Kansas
Posts: 1,681
Thanked 334 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pounder View Post
have you driven in Oklahoma City ??????????????????
LOL no Pounder I have not. Are the roads pretty beat up there? In Kansas we have some of the best roads in the country but I can relate. When tooling around in the bad part of town my Z does not like it!!!
02BlownZ06 is offline  
Old 11-18-2017, 06:58 PM
  #9  
ZigZag
CF Senior Member
 
ZigZag's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Lynn MA
Posts: 1,132
Thanked 102 Times in 94 Posts
Default

I've lowered mine just about all the way down on stock bolts and love the look, stance and anything else. Hated the 4x4 look, I did replace the shocks with C6 ones and I do have the fangs in the front but all that ever scrapes is the front air dam which is spring loaded so it's not a worry.
ZigZag is offline  
Old 11-18-2017, 07:02 PM
  #10  
02BlownZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
02BlownZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Kansas
Posts: 1,681
Thanked 334 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZigZag View Post
I've lowered mine just about all the way down on stock bolts and love the look, stance and anything else. Hated the 4x4 look, I did replace the shocks with C6 ones and I do have the fangs in the front but all that ever scrapes is the front air dam which is spring loaded so it's not a worry.
Ditto!
02BlownZ06 is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 09:41 AM
  #11  
Gordy M
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2001
Location: Plymouth MI
Posts: 2,069
Thanks: 0
Thanked 148 Times in 138 Posts
Default

Unless you want maximum handling, lowering the ride height will not hurt the ride using stock bolts. The important part is lowering each bolt the same number of turns otherwise you will have uneven ride height side to side and end to end. Another item to remember is to keep the rake (front end lower than the rear end) to factory specs.

For max handling, lowering about 1/2", corner weighing, and suspension come into play. If you look at the top drivers in Autocross, they have a noticeable gap above the tires to accommodate body roll. and not hitting on the bump stock on the shocks.
Gordy M is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 09:57 AM
  #12  
Grandpa1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: Wichita Falls Texas
Posts: 354
Thanks: 0
Thanked 77 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
Unless you want maximum handling, lowering the ride height will not hurt the ride using stock bolts. The important part is lowering each bolt the same number of turns otherwise you will have uneven ride height side to side and end to end. Another item to remember is to keep the rake (front end lower than the rear end) to factory specs.

For max handling, lowering about 1/2", corner weighing, and suspension come into play. If you look at the top drivers in Autocross, they have a noticeable gap above the tires to accommodate body roll. and not hitting on the bump stock on the shocks.
As I stated in an earlier post, my 03 was lowered using the stock bolts by the previous owner but when I raised it back up counting the number of turns it was way off.
I ended up using a tape measure on each corner to finally get the desired level that I wanted. It took a few times adjusting and driving around the block to get it right but I finally did.
Counting the turns didn't work for me at all.
Grandpa1 is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 11:32 AM
  #13  
Pete Zahria
Junior Member
 
Pete Zahria's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: New Hampster
Posts: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Guys living in fairly warm states talking about rough roads...
Move to New England in the spring when the frost heaves come out..
You won't be driving your Vette..... to be sure!!.



Dan
Pete Zahria is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 12:38 PM
  #14  
striper
CF Senior Member
 
striper's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Sussex County New Jersey
Posts: 6,295
Thanked 208 Times in 182 Posts
Default

When I bought my '03 Z06 in the owner's video that came with the car Dave Hill suggests for optimum handling lowering is a suggested thing to do, so I did. It also looks great and I don't find the ride to be significantly worse than before.
striper is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 10:43 PM
  #15  
6speedsteve
CF Senior Member
 
6speedsteve's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: West Seneca NY
Posts: 1,419
Thanked 212 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Mostly about the look, I look at how the rim sits up in the wheel well, how it flows with the shape of the wheel well, or I guess you could say it looks better if the lines of the rim are as close to parallel to the wheel well shape as you can get it. I also think the diameter of the rim will also have an affect on how it looks at different heights.

STOCK HEIGHT
Name:  picture_php_pictureid_93843_7ad8ce5335b02b83a935726ee0b8d357db23e445.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  73.6 KB

19" LOWERED 1/2" FRONT 3/4" REAR
Name:  DSC04345.JPG
Views: 632
Size:  1.31 MB

19/20 LOWERED 1/2" & 3/4"
Name:  DSC05886.JPG
Views: 623
Size:  2.07 MB

20/20 LOWERED 1/2" & 3/4"
Name:  DSC05888.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  2.06 MB

19" 1" LOWER ON DROP SPINDLES
Name:  DSC06298 (3).jpg
Views: 627
Size:  2.09 MB

19/20 DROP SPINDLES
Name:  DSC06707 (2).jpg
Views: 658
Size:  1.62 MB

20/20 DROP SPINDLES
Name:  DSC06680 (3).jpg
Views: 646
Size:  1.73 MB
6speedsteve is offline  
Old 11-20-2017, 09:55 AM
  #16  
radar502
CF Senior Member
 
radar502's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,958
Thanked 110 Times in 96 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pounder View Post
have you driven in Oklahoma City ??????????????????
Right ,lower one drive it to Houston and I will come behind as to rip off parts I'll pick up and see it I can use them on my 04 ..LOl
radar502 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radar502 For This Useful Post:
msandym (01-07-2018), Pounder (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM
  #17  
Velocity_Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Velocity_Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Location: Little Rock Arkansas
Posts: 1,424
Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts
Default

The only thing I regret about lowering my C5 was I didn't do it immediately after purchase.
Velocity_Vette is offline  
Old 11-20-2017, 10:34 AM
  #18  
CactusCat
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CactusCat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 2,899
Thanked 194 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette View Post
I'm surprised going 1.5" bigger didn't throw off the TC
Not sure that size has much to do with it. I'd always heard it was the ratio of the front to rear that was needed. Since I used 1.5" taller on both front and rear, I still have the 1" difference that the stock sizes had. Seems to work quite well. Never a single issue with TC plus I don't have AH so that's never an issue as well..
CactusCat is offline  
Old 11-20-2017, 10:41 AM
  #19  
CactusCat
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CactusCat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 2,899
Thanked 194 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pounder View Post
when I met my now wife, her C 6 ZO 6 was lowered some and in Ok. the roads are horrible, the car bottomed out regularly !!!!! We AutoX this car and went with 18's all around due to the availability of 200 compound tires. made the car even worst with DD and I raised the car back to about 5/8 of a inch between tire and fender, looks better (IMO) and rides so much better, not to mention getting in and out of many driveways !!!!!
Pretty much my experience as well. Some of the streets are ok but some are really bad. BTW Pounder, I met your wifey a couple of years ago at XP Racing when she was having Brett do some work on her car. It was a Saturday afternoon and we had a nice chat. Ask her if she remembers me. She's a real nice gal. You're lucky to find one like her.
CactusCat is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to CactusCat For This Useful Post:
Pounder (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 01:06 AM
  #20  
striper
CF Senior Member
 
striper's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Sussex County New Jersey
Posts: 6,295
Thanked 208 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve View Post
Mostly about the look, I look at how the rim sits up in the wheel well, how it flows with the shape of the wheel well, or I guess you could say it looks better if the lines of the rim are as close to parallel to the wheel well shape as you can get it. I also think the diameter of the rim will also have an affect on how it looks at different heights.

STOCK HEIGHT
Attachment 48227156

19" LOWERED 1/2" FRONT 3/4" REAR
Attachment 48227159

19/20 LOWERED 1/2" & 3/4"
Attachment 48227170

20/20 LOWERED 1/2" & 3/4"
Attachment 48227171

19" 1" LOWER ON DROP SPINDLES
Attachment 48227173

19/20 DROP SPINDLES
Attachment 48227174

20/20 DROP SPINDLES
Attachment 48227175
I was wondering why the front bumper looks so high off the ground. Why is your spoiler removed?
striper is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about lowering


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: