Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:02 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Often asked...

Often asked, same answer:
Fix a flat (can of). Tire plug and 12volt compressor.
AAA membership.
Cell phone.
Credit card.

Enjoy...
Old 01-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Mineolajoe
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ronwc
I went on a 4300 mile month long road trip a while back from Fl to CO - see more details here - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...road-trip.html

It was one of the best trips I have ever taken in my life, and the 97 C5 was very reliable, also got great gas mileage. I did very little to prepare, checked tire pressure (non-runflats) and oil, packed a few small tools and a can of runflat.

The way I looked at it was that the tire sensors are very reliable and would give me a headsup of a slow leak or flat, and I have good roadside assistance. My advice is not to overthink it, and have a good time.
That's a beautiful C5, ronwc. Looks just like mine except for the wheels. It sure looks like you had a great trip. I hope mine is as enjoyable and trouble free. I tend to worry too much but I'll take your advice and not overthink it.

Regarding keeping it clean, I'm a fanatic about having a clean car and black shows dirt more than any other color. I'll probably spend more on carwashes than on gas!
Old 01-11-2018, 09:15 AM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Had a flat a couple months ago. Walked right by the tire getting in the car and it didn't show being down at all. Started the car up and Left Rear Tire 0 Air Pressure. What? Put a gauge to it and sure enough, 0 psi. lol!
Picked up a screw in the outer edge of the rear Goodyear Runflat. Talked to and showed my buddy and he said plug it. Not in a wear area or in the side wall. 2000 miles later , no lost of air.
We agreed too much tire left at only 4 yrs old and 20K miles on them.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:12 PM
jfw46544
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Continental has a "Comfort Kit". Sealant and compressor all in one unit. You can use the compressor by itself or have it put the sealant in the tire also. O.E. on some Volvo and the 2nd gen. GT40's. I keep one in the Z06 when I travel.

CONTI COMFORT KIT-12V PORTABLE

I bought mine from the Tire Rack.

Last edited by jfw46544; 01-12-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spell
Old 01-12-2018, 02:19 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by jfw46544
Continental has a "Comfort Kit". Sealant and compressor all in one unit. You can use the compressor by itself or have it put the sealant in the tire also. O.E. on some Volvo and the 2nd gen. GT40's. I keep one in the Z06 when I travel.

CONTI COMFORT KIT-12V PORTABLE

I bought mine from the Tire Rack.
Is it worth the 80 bucks? A can of fix a flat is 7 bucks and it's a lot quicker.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:21 PM
jfw46544
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some guys are recommending taking air compressors. Kill two birds with one stone. I can use it when I go to the track or autocross. Plus it's smaller than a lot of the air compressors.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:34 AM
SAYUNCL
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

yea...I have an air comp, a can of fix a flat and a patch kit...if that's not enough then I'll call my ins for a roadside assist/tow.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 325 Posts

Take a small compressor and plug kit. Fix a flat is optional. Bring a cell phone charger for the car. Leave the quart of oil home. If you run out of oil while going down the road, a quart of oil won't do you any good because you have a major problem. Just check your oil when fueling. NEWS FLASH- Synthetic oil is available nation wide.

Make sure your car has a good battery, belts, fluids and tires before you leave. Remember to hydrate, get out and stretch, and enjoy the trip.

I did a 1500 mile trip this summer and didn't have ANY issues. My car has 272,XXX miles on it at the moment. If your car is maintained properly you are all set. BTW I have non run flats.

Last edited by 3sACROWD; 01-13-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:40 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
Take a small compressor and plug kit. Fix a flat is optional. Bring a cell phone charger for the car. Leave the quart of oil home. If you run out of oil while going down the road, a quart of oil won't do you any good because you have a major problem. Just check your oil when fueling. NEWS FLASH- Synthetic oil is available nation wide.

Make sure your car has a good battery, belts, fluids and tires before you leave. Remember to hydrate, get out and stretch, and enjoy the trip.

I did a 1500 mile trip this summer and didn't have ANY issues. My car has 272,XXX miles on it at the moment. If your car is maintained properly you are all set. BTW I have non run flats.
Last summer we crossed South Dakota. Speed limit was 80 but we were averaging 90+ and the outside temp was over 100 degrees. After three hours of that, the low oil light came on. Oil showed full
at the last fill up. Pulled over and put in the quart of oil I carry in the trunk. The next gas station was 50 to 100 miles ahead. The car has not used any oil since that stretch of highway so there really is nothing wrong with the car. Just a combination of speed and heat.
I am glad I did not listen to your advice and had a bottle of oil with me. Came in real handy. I always carry a bottle of oil. You never know how far to the next gas station.

Last edited by JR-01; 01-13-2018 at 06:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:34 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Last summer we crossed South Dakota. Speed limit was 80 but we were averaging 90+ and the outside temp was over 100 degrees. After three hours of that, the low oil light came on. Oil showed full
at the last fill up. Pulled over and put in the quart of oil I carry in the trunk. The next gas station was 50 to 100 miles ahead. The car has not used any oil since that stretch of highway so there really is nothing wrong with the car. Just a combination of speed and heat.
I am glad I did not listen to your advice and had a bottle of oil with me. Came in real handy. I always carry a bottle of oil. You never know how far to the next gas station.
Glad you had your oil. If you're operating your car at performance levels for extended time you may need extra oil. May even be wise to fill to 7 quarts before leaving when planning such a high speed drive. You were driving in a unique circumstance.

My experience driving sub 90 MPH for over 700,000 miles of lifetime driving has never yielded a need for oil between fuel stops. The time I did need oil was when my engine in the POS Ford I was driving blew two pistons. So I guess we need to know how the OP plans to drive in order to give the appropriate advice.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:23 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by JR-01
Old 01-14-2018, 10:25 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
Glad you had your oil. If you're operating your car at performance levels for extended time you may need extra oil. May even be wise to fill to 7 quarts before leaving when planning such a high speed drive. You were driving in a unique circumstance.

My experience driving sub 90 MPH for over 700,000 miles of lifetime driving has never yielded a need for oil between fuel stops. The time I did need oil was when my engine in the POS Ford I was driving blew two pistons. So I guess we need to know how the OP plans to drive in order to give the appropriate advice.
I do fill with 7 quarts when I change oil. It brings the level to the full mark on the dipstick. When we left home we did not know it was going to be so hot and that traffic was going to be moving at 10 mph over the speed limit. I have found it best to always be prepared. A bottle of oil takes up so little space and you never know where you will be when you need it.

Last edited by JR-01; 01-14-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: What to take along