St. Jude Donor '16

Congrats and welcome!! Car looks good
Old 01-25-2018, 02:22 PM
Denny Kohlman
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Performance tune

Originally Posted by RedRiderZR1
The quick answer to your question is that these cars came with a warranty and they tuned them from the factory to be safe. They wanted them to run rich enough so they would not detonate with bad gas causing engine problems (warranty repairs). By getting a tune alone to get the AFR in check you can pick up around 12-15 rwhp not doing anything else to the car. With headers and catback you will pick up around 30 rwhp +/- what system you put on. Catback system is for sound only on these cars, you don't get any performance benefit out of them for the most part.

Welcome to the Madness. Nice Car.
Thanks for the info. Do you think that a tune is a good bang for the buck? I don't want to spend a lot of money on mods. If I were to make the mods to get more hp (75-100) I would probably be further ahead to sell the car and buy a C6 (probably and 08)
Old 01-25-2018, 02:28 PM
Denny Kohlman
Instructor

Default Performance tune

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
GM as do other manufacturers have many considerations to take into account when setting up a mass production car. Among them are widely varying altitudes the car will operate at, overall driveability, emissions standards, manufacturing tolerances of the end production vehicle, long term maintenance (or lack there of) the vehicle will receive, the engine technology of the time and the engine management software technology of the time to mention just a few. They tuned the vehicles to be a happy medium that will keep them (GM) out of court. The HP wars were less of an issue at the time these cars were being produced than they are today. HP delivered at the time these care were in production (14 to 20 years ago) was quite acceptable given the weight of the car compared to the then competition.

If you are not happy with the HP of your car, take your blank check down to a good performance shop/tuner and the HP can be hugely improved. Money will buy just about anything when it comes to automobiles.......
Thanks for the info. As I replied to Red Rider do you think that a performance is worth the money. If I wanted 75-100 more hp I probably would be better off to sell my car and buy a C6 (08 or newer) It may cost less in the long run.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:29 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Kohlman
Thanks for the info. Do you think that a tune is a good bang for the buck? I don't want to spend a lot of money on mods. If I were to make the mods to get more hp (75-100) I would probably be further ahead to sell the car and buy a C6 (probably and 08)
Since your car is an auto I would recommend it for sure. Not just better engine performance, the transmission tune would be a nice addition as well. There are tuners out there that do mail order tunes that would work well for you for reasonable cost (149 dollars). Downside is you have to send your pcm to them. More expensive options can tune with pcm in car. Either way, you would notice it for sure. Another option if you are a diy person is to buy a handheld unit and upload a tune from the device. That's what I did when I first got my car. I used a diablosport predator device. There are options out there.

Last edited by RedRiderZR1; 01-25-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:20 PM
Denny Kohlman
Instructor

Default performance tune

Originally Posted by RedRiderZR1
Since your car is an auto I would recommend it for sure. Not just better engine performance, the transmission tune would be a nice addition as well. There are tuners out there that do mail order tunes that would work well for you for reasonable cost (149 dollars). Downside is you have to send your pcm to them. More expensive options can tune with pcm in car. Either way, you would notice it for sure. Another option if you are a diy person is to buy a handheld unit and upload a tune from the device. That's what I did when I first got my car. I used a diablosport predator device. There are options out there.
Thanks, that helps. I probably would not do it myself but there is a very good speed shop in the area where I live and come summer (car in storage in Michigan) I may call and talk to them.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:13 AM
2 GRUMPY
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the madness Denny !
Old 01-27-2018, 09:33 AM
Denny Kohlman
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2 GRUMPY
Welcome to the madness Denny !
Nice looking car. We just went to Tennessee this fall and are going back in April with all our kids and grandkids.(16 of us)
The following users liked this post:
2 GRUMPY (01-28-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Denny Kohlman
Instructor

I have been reading the posts for some time and it has been a wealth of information. I finally decided to log in and get a password. Looking forward to being a member
Any pics of millennium yellow C5's with black rims?
Old 02-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Denny Kohlman
Instructor

Default rims and tires

Any pics of millennium yellow C5's with black rims?
Old 02-21-2018, 05:17 PM
Glasact
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome!...............and Good Lookin' Vette!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:15 PM
Denny Kohlman
Instructor

Default C5 Black rims

Are there any pics out there of millennum yellow C5's with black rims?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:29 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have a mill. yellow 2000 that I bought four years ago with 15000 miles. It is stock except for the air cleaner. It is an auto, now with 28,000. I have had 7 previous to this one. Two 64s a 68,69,70, and a 71 that I sold to buy this one. My wife says I can only have one at a time. I wanted one I could drive more and take on some trips. I grew up with the C1s and C2 so while they are great cars at 72 I want something more comfortable to drive. This has been a great car.
Originally Posted by awches
If the Winds of Fate keep on blowing right, my 03 Coupe with 117K miles at present, and me will be headed California way about May. Heck, I'll be 75 yrs old then. Kinda wanna retrace my foot steps from the early 60's from my town to San Diego on the old roads that are left and up the coast by Camp Pendleton and Long Beach while I still can.
Put over 7K miles since buying it for my 74th birthday last March and fixed a bunch of stull that was not working and coding and fender bender deal so all is good at present.
Welcome, Denny!
Thanks to you and awches for driving your cars (although, Denny, you're averaging 4300 miles a year and awches has about 7000 for his year )!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:06 AM
Principal Lewis
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome Denny! Great looking car! There is a reason Corvette racing uses yellow, it is the fastest color!
On a serious note, this is the best forum I have been a part of. Lots of knowledge and members who really want to help.

Last edited by Principal Lewis; 02-22-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:50 AM
2 GRUMPY
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice looking car. We just went to Tennessee this fall and are going back in April with all our kids and grandkids.(16 of us)
Thanks Denny ! Yours looks Slick ! Where did go in Tennessee ?

Last edited by 2 GRUMPY; 02-24-2018 at 03:53 AM.

Quick Reply: new member