Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Din Head Unit Upgrade Question (Existing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 01:35 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Double Din Head Unit Upgrade Question (Existing)

I installed my original Double Din head unit back in 2012. I worked with former vendor DD Mods and the install and the Kenwood DNX 6980 unit has worked great over the past 6 years.

I now want to upgrade my head unit with one that offers Apple Car Play. The good news is the costs are about 50% of what they were in 2012 plus I can bypass a NAV unit because I can use my iPhone mapping apps/software.

One of the units I'm considering is the Kenwood DDX9703S. The question I have is that since this new unit has a mechanical or tilting face to access auxiliary USB ports or for DVD/CD access and my current DNX 6980 does not, will I have any issues retrofitting the new head unit into my existing double-din/modified center console allowing the head unit screen to extend and open? I'm hoping it will be a simple plug-n-play (re) modification as I plan to use my existing speakers, however I also plan to upgrade the amplifier which is installed in the trunk floor panel. Also, since the C5 doesn't have steering wheel controls, the new head unit will need volume controls as I prefer to still have a tactile feel when adjusting volume vs. using my iPhone. This particular Kenwood unit has the volume up/down control arrows at the bottom vs. the volume **** my current DNX 6980 has.

Existing head unit/setup:

Video demo of the DDX9703S:

Any feedback is appreciated. Especially from someone who has performed a similar (re) mod.

Thanks!

Last edited by MSG C5; 02-17-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by whalepirot
I had 4 (warranty replacement) replacement top-of-the-line Kenwood units. All suffered the same pre-amp noise problem, as did a display unit. While they boasted apps for Droid and Apple, my experience was like others expressed online: didn't work. Suggest homework on Crutchfield and A-zon for user experience and if purchased, from a source that take returns.

Kenwood is trying to change its reputation for poor quality, but haven't nailed it yet, in my experience.
Thanks. Fortunately, I haven't had any negative experiences with my current Kenwood HU with the exception that the touch screen response, specifically the artist or track scrolling could be (a lot) better.

Any recommendation of other similar head units that offer Apple Car Play? Pioneer?

I found this recent review on-line so it gives me some other models to consider. However I'm mostly concerned with whether or not any folding screen models will work with my existing modified console. I would think it would if I don't exceed the original DD dimensions.

https://10carbest.com/apple-carplay-stereo

Last edited by MSG C5; 02-17-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:08 PM
lebeeby
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW...I have a DDX 9903 in my Double D modified center console
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2018, 07:05 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Alpine
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2018, 10:17 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Thanks for all the suggestions. For those of you who have tilting screens that open and/or extend forward, any issues with fitment on an existing double-din center console? Any special install issues or tips?
Old 02-17-2018, 11:24 PM
m4bgringo
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks for all the suggestions. For those of you who have tilting screens that open and/or extend forward, any issues with fitment on an existing double-din center console? Any special install issues or tips?
I did my own conversion in our '02 'Vert. It came out pretty nice. I have always used Pioneer equipment. I feel it is a good bang for the buck. Of course there is much better out there, but with the top down we have PLENTY of volume with no distortion. Did two amps, one for the front and rear speakers, one for the sub. Sounds great.

I always use the remote to control the head unit. I know where all the buttons are to raise/lower volume, skip the current track, etc... without even looking at it. I think I have done four of their double din head units in the last six years or so. They have all been perfect.

Now, I don't use Apple Play or any of that other stuff so I can't help you there. I usually just use my USB sticks for my music or XM Radio. I have a dvd for the wife that is always in the unit with 600 or so songs on it for her, never have to swap that one out! I have never watched movies on any of them, just listen to our tunes!
The following users liked this post:
MSG C5 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 09:32 AM
twill
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Got mine from DD

I got my Kenwood DNN9922 from DD Mods a couple of years ago,and had him modify a bezel for me. It has a tilting faceplate and it all works fine. I am however thinking of replacing my bezel because the one I got back from Dennis didn't fit the way I would like it to. There are now two other options that I didn't have two years ago and I will go with the one that seems to be the best.
MSG C5 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Also, has anyone run the USB connecting cable from the HU under the center console and into the center console armrest? If so, any routing suggestions or tips I should be aware of?

In my current configuration, I have the USB cable connected from the back of the HU and routed into the passenger glove box. That's OK from an iPod perspective, however if I connect directly via USB to my iPhone, I want it in the center console for easier access.

Also, any suggestions on a better, aftermarket USB cord than the standard Apple fire wire?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:58 AM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Also, has anyone run the USB connecting cable from the HU under the center console and into the center console armrest? If so, any routing suggestions or tips I should be aware of?

In my current configuration, I have the USB cable connected from the back of the HU and routed into the passenger glove box. That's OK from an iPod perspective, however if I connect directly via USB to my iPhone, I want it in the center console for easier access.

Also, any suggestions on a better, aftermarket USB cord than the standard Apple fire wire?
For USB:
Amazon Amazon

For 3.5mm male:
Amazon Amazon
MSG C5 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

mine has the tilt face and have no issues, but HATE the Kenwood, will switch to a Pioneer soon !!!! (IMO Pioneer is the go to unit !!!)
Old 02-20-2018, 12:05 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Pounder
mine has the tilt face and have no issues, but HATE the Kenwood, will switch to a Pioneer soon !!!! (IMO Pioneer is the go to unit !!!)
Thanks. Funny because I'm reading a lot of not-so-great reviews of the Kenwood Car Play units, but my current Kenwood has been good with the exception of the slow touch screen/scrolling response.

I've read good things about Alpine but haven't seen too much on Pioneer. Any specific Pioneer model you recommend?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:07 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jrprich
Thanks. I was thinking about modding the power connection/lighter port that's located inside the center armrest console and this adapter looks like a fit for that. It would be nice to open the lid and have two USB ports available.

Last edited by MSG C5; 02-20-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Thanks. Funny because I'm reading a lot of not-so-great reviews of the Kenwood Car Play units, but my current Kenwood has been good with the exception of the slow touch screen/scrolling response.

I've read good things about Alpine but haven't seen too much on Pioneer. Any specific Pioneer model you recommend?
I have had top of the line with Nav. (in wife's ZO 6) middle of the line in my GMC, to a low end one in my winter beater (Monte SS) and I love everything about them !!!! I just get the one with the options I want ???? (my Kenwood/ (from DD Mods) takes forever to turn on, done backing up before it comes on, to just crappy features !!!)

Last edited by Pounder; 02-20-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:21 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

In my current configuration, I have the USB cable connected from the back of the HU and routed into the passenger glove box. That's OK fr6om an iPod perspective, however if I connect directly via USB to my iPhone, I want it in the center console for easier access.

Originally Posted by jrprich
I've have a 9903 since December of 2016. On the whole, it is a good purchase. I do miss the volume button/dial... I also have routed my USB along the tunnel and into the center console using the above adapter. In the summer months in Florida, I experience only what I can call "skipping" - sort of a lag from the phone, but there isn't a cath up. The phone will continue to play but several seconds of audio will not be processed. I think it is due to the heat generated on the aftermarket Amazon piece. I don't get the same issues in the winter. I have Dynamatted and used Refletix to try to limit the heat. No dice...
Old 02-20-2018, 03:39 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
I've have a 9903 since December of 2016. On the whole, it is a good purchase. I do miss the volume button/dial... I also have routed my USB along the tunnel and into the center console using the above adapter. In the summer months in Florida, I experience only what I can call "skipping" - sort of a lag from the phone, but there isn't a cath up. The phone will continue to play but several seconds of audio will not be processed. I think it is due to the heat generated on the aftermarket Amazon piece. I don't get the same issues in the winter. I have Dynamatted and used Refletix to try to limit the heat. No dice...
Thanks. That's my main concern about routing via the center console and over the transmission and gear shift tunnel. We all know how hot the center armrest storage area gets. I had a thermal tunnel plate installed when I had my X-pipe installed in addition to a sound deadening kit under the carpet. I will check to see if there is a better, more heat resistant USB audio cable extender on the market.

Last edited by MSG C5; 02-20-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:02 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

Thanks. That's my main concern about routing via the center console and over the transmission and gear shift tunnel. We all know how hot the center armrest storage area gets. I had a thermal tunnel plate installed when I had my X-pipe installed in addition to a sound deadening kit under the carpet. I will check to see if there is a better, more heat resistant USB audio cable extender on the market.
I had my installer run my usb line into the glove box. I just open the box plug it in my phone and sit my phone in my cup holder and close the glove box. Works great!! I hope this helps. I’m in the process of having Apsis wrapping my other double din bezel. Going a different route with colors.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:34 PM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Over the past 4 years, I had 3 different Pioneer double dins (in 3 different cars) and every one had issues. All of them had the Bluetooth fail and one had a screen die.

I now have Kenwood double dins (2 different vehicles) and they seem to be working fine. I've only had them for about 3 months so still early, however I had a Kenwood single din units in the past (about 5 years ago) and it were very reliable.

I had Panasonic single dins (20) years ago and they were always good performers as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Double Din Head Unit Upgrade Question (Existing)

Old 02-27-2018, 03:58 PM
m4bgringo
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran the USB wire from the head unit to the center console so I can easily get to the USB stick when I want to add/remove songs. Didn't have any issues running it past the 6 spd shifter. I plan on using the magnetic shock switch (will replace it) to switch between a front-mounted camera and the rear camera. One of the things on my to-do list for that car this year when I take it out of storage.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:51 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the Kenwood DDX773BH. The tilt does interfere and get caught on the bezel when you open it for a CD. I only use Bluetooth so its not a big deal for me but I do have that probelm. The head unit itself has been great. I am really happy with it.
MSG C5 (02-27-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 08:33 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Update: I decided on the Kenwood DDX9704S.

Thus far, I'm really happy with the unit. It sounds great and the Apple Car Play is fantastic. The tilt screen for the DVD/CD playback on the DDX9704S works fine with my existing double-din bezel. I routed the USB connections through the center console and then installed a double USB port connection into the center armrest power socket.

Quick Reply: Double Din Head Unit Upgrade Question (Existing)