Sponsored by:

Vettenuts bezel

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Guy5861
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vettenuts bezel

With the new bezels coming in what is a good option for a new head unit? I don’t want or need a CD player or navigation just want CarPlay, tuner and a backup camera input
Old 03-16-2018, 11:28 AM
blackcrow64
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazon Amazon

This is the one I installed in my vette last summer. Just waiting on the new bezel to show up and it'll be completed. I really like it as a simple Carplay device and it was easy enough to wire up to the factory wiring. Added a backup camera too which was the hardest part to route the wiring from the back to the front.
The following users liked this post:
redzg (03-22-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:30 AM
digitaloutsider
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

If CarPlay is all you want, this will do: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV...ax100&skipvs=T

I have the next level up, the AX200, because I wanted SiriusXM in my car again. I think it blends in with the rest of the interior well.

The following 2 users liked this post by digitaloutsider:
redzg (03-22-2018), Rico7142 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:08 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm hunting around too. My needs are about the same as yours. I was looking at an Alpine ILX-107 and ILX-207 because I have a cousin who runs a car stereo shop and he recommends them. Ironically, he doesn't sell them. lol Very curious to see what others have to say.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:25 PM
blackcrow64
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also recommend the Alpines and Pioneers as they are also great systems that I have ran in past vehicles also. What I really liked about the Sony is an analog volume **** instead of a push button or touch screen volume. All depends on what’s on your wish list of features in a head unit. Wish they had the AX200 out when I got mine last year.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:36 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by blackcrow64
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XAV-AX10.../dp/B01MF9W0GU

This is the one I installed in my vette last summer. Just waiting on the new bezel to show up and it'll be completed. I really like it as a simple Carplay device and it was easy enough to wire up to the factory wiring. Added a backup camera too which was the hardest part to route the wiring from the back to the front.
Originally Posted by digitaloutsider
If CarPlay is all you want, this will do: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV...ax100&skipvs=T

I have the next level up, the AX200, because I wanted SiriusXM in my car again. I think it blends in with the rest of the interior well.

I just installed the AX100 in mine, as well as a full audio upgrade with all new speakers, amp, and sub.. so far I really like the Sony.. haven’t had a lot of time to tinker with it yet because I’m still buttoning up everything on the install, but it’s very user friendly and the CarPlay is fantastic.. another perk is that you won’t hafta remove any of your factory radio or HVAC trays to install because the size of the unit is a single din and the screen itself is double din .. I have a Pioneer 4100 NEX in my truck and so far I like the Sony much more
Old 03-16-2018, 06:54 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by oneandgone
I'm hunting around too. My needs are about the same as yours. I was looking at an Alpine ILX-107 and ILX-207 because I have a cousin who runs a car stereo shop and he recommends them. Ironically, he doesn't sell them. lol Very curious to see what others have to say.
Ilx-207 here. Really like it, it sounds great and since everything nowadays is smartphone-driven, the mechless design leaves less parts to fail.

Car play is great, it sounds better than streaming Bluetooth but it's a bit of a hassle to have to pull your phone out to connect it in the center console.

OTOH, one benefit of the hassle is the system is more responsive than streaming when directly connected with the wire.

Alpine sound quality is very good.
Attached Images  
oneandgone (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 07:35 PM
Raiden8816
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m going with the MVH-1400NEX. It’s a digital receiver without CD, only does CarPlay. Plus it had a capacitive screen which is exactly like your iPhone and supports multitouch. Most lower end stereos only offer resistive screens that feel like crappy plastic.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:39 PM
Raiden8816
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also if anyone who has the Sony AX100, just as an FYI since the disclaimer message doesn’t go away unless you hit ok every time you start it up. There is an unofficial firmware you can flash via XDA forums, of course it may brick your receiver but follow the instructions and it will reduce startup time for that unit. In contrast the Pioneer disclaimer warnings go away after like 15 seconds without a touch of the ok button.

Last edited by Raiden8816; 03-16-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Guess many of us need to really start focusing on the radio set up since the bezels will be heading to us soon.
Appreciate the info everyone is sharing.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:41 PM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow those look fantastic!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:33 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

I have to say I am not really a fan of the Metra bezel but combined with the Sony and a good quality installation, it looks fantastic and I believe I could live with that bezel if I had to. I also hear the Sony is a pretty nice unit, that sounds really good and priced right.

I have an Alpine INE-W960 and it has served me wonderfully and is loaded with features for under $500. It's a great value and sounds leaps and bounds better than the Pioneer I removed from there. I slightly cracked my first modified bezel so can't wait to get the new one in from Marc.
redzg (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 10:49 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts
Default Metra bezel

Nice job!
That's in the Metra bezel? Looks much better in your photo than in some others -- did you do anything to the bezel to better match the original interior?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:44 AM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdmvette
Ilx-207 here. Really like it, it sounds great and since everything nowadays is smartphone-driven, the mechless design leaves less parts to fail.

Car play is great, it sounds better than streaming Bluetooth but it's a bit of a hassle to have to pull your phone out to connect it in the center console.

OTOH, one benefit of the hassle is the system is more responsive than streaming when directly connected with the wire.

Alpine sound quality is very good.
Can you simultaneously listen to music on your phone and use apps like nav? Also, do these put the other apps onto your the screen, like if you're on facebook or the internet? Lastly, is there any way to keep your text messages from going to it? What if you get a text that the person in the car with you doesn't need to be reading/hearing, does it just blurt them out regardless?

I almost ordered one of these last night, but couldn't find answers to these questions so I took it out of my cart...
Old 03-17-2018, 12:35 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I love my Kenwood 9903. It's in the upper price range but highly recommended by the "once loved" Dennis. If you have an I-phone, CarPlay is a must. Your interior will be rejuvenated. Its the best interactive system I've seen in any car, including OEM. You have the power of Siri and the regular updates of Apple software always at your disposal. You touch the Siri button and then you talk...that's it.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:48 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Can you simultaneously listen to music on your phone and use apps like nav?

Also, do these put the other apps onto your the screen, like if you're on facebook or the internet?

Lastly, is there any way to keep your text messages from going to it?

What if you get a text that the person in the car with you doesn't need to be reading/hearing, does it just blurt them out regardless?

I almost ordered one of these last night, but couldn't find answers to these questions so I took it out of my cart...
I broke your questions down to answer them separately.

1. Yes, nav driven off apple maps will run while your music library plays at the same time.

2. Car play only has what's built into car play, no other apps. You can't get on Facebook via the ilx unless you mirror your device I guess, but then you may as well just look at your device. You can hook up an HDMI cable to the ilx and use the Apple adapter to play media from your iPad or iPhone.

3. Car play will pop up a "message received" notification at the top of the screen for like 5 seconds then it goes away. The message does not open and is not read to you unless you tap the icon. When you tap the icon, Siri reads it to you, but it doesn't come up as text on the screen. Same thing for replying to texts, it's done via Siri voice entry.

But if you have your wife in the car with you and you don't want texts from your mistress popping up, just don't use car pla. Instead use the Bluetooth streaming function for your music. No texts will be received by the ilx.

The following 2 users liked this post by jdmvette:
oneandgone (03-18-2018), slvr bulit (03-22-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 01:55 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Exactly as Ken described

Get notified of new replies

To Vettenuts bezel

Old 03-22-2018, 12:04 AM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdmvette
I broke your questions down to answer them separately.

1. Yes, nav driven off apple maps will run while your music library plays at the same time.

2. Car play only has what's built into car play, no other apps. You can't get on Facebook via the ilx unless you mirror your device I guess, but then you may as well just look at your device. You can hook up an HDMI cable to the ilx and use the Apple adapter to play media from your iPad or iPhone.

3. Car play will pop up a "message received" notification at the top of the screen for like 5 seconds then it goes away. The message does not open and is not read to you unless you tap the icon. When you tap the icon, Siri reads it to you, but it doesn't come up as text on the screen. Same thing for replying to texts, it's done via Siri voice entry.

But if you have your wife in the car with you and you don't want texts from your mistress popping up, just don't use car pla. Instead use the Bluetooth streaming function for your music. No texts will be received by the ilx.

Thanks for the info! I ordered it and received it today. I can't wait to install it! I'm curious...if you have someone set in messaging to hide notifications do they even show up on the screen when you get a message? I'm not married btw.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:12 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Thanks for the info! I ordered it and received it today. I can't wait to install it! I'm curious...if you have someone set in messaging to hide notifications do they even show up on the screen when you get a message? I'm not married btw.
The messages work as they do on the phone. No worries.
oneandgone (03-22-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 02:02 AM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Shawn and I are finishing up the last of tracking numbers tonight at 1am. We still have a few hours to go but you guys have waited a long time and we are gonna get it done!

Quick Reply: Vettenuts bezel