[Z06] Kooks Headers in Ca?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 03:42 PM
saxplayer
8th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks Headers in Ca?

Newbie question here. I would like to buy an 02z that is located in Washington state. It's procharged with Kooks long tube headers, Kooks mid pipe with cats and stock TTI exhaust. The procharger has a CARB number so it's no problem but the Kooks headers and mid pipe will not pass the visual part of the smog test. I've read posts in other forums from from folks who have had their cars pass smog testing with the identical set-up but would rather get the car right with Ca requirements. Any ideas? I have called a dealership in Rio Vista to get an idea of the cost to put it back to stock and I'm waiting to hear from them. Anyone have a recomendation on a good performance shop in the bay area for this kind of work? Should I trust a local muffler shop? The headers and mid pipe are fairly new-do they have any resale value? And one more question. If I do replace the Kooks parts with stock parts, and considering the procharger (5-6lbs boost) will I be faced with any issues (I'm assuming that the stock headers will be more restrictive).
Thanks!
Old 05-21-2018, 04:31 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by saxplayer
Newbie question here. I would like to buy an 02z that is located in Washington state. It's procharged with Kooks long tube headers, Kooks mid pipe with cats and stock TTI exhaust. The procharger has a CARB number so it's no problem but the Kooks headers and mid pipe will not pass the visual part of the smog test. I've read posts in other forums from from folks who have had their cars pass smog testing with the identical set-up but would rather get the car right with Ca requirements. Any ideas? I have called a dealership in Rio Vista to get an idea of the cost to put it back to stock and I'm waiting to hear from them. Anyone have a recomendation on a good performance shop in the bay area for this kind of work? Should I trust a local muffler shop? The headers and mid pipe are fairly new-do they have any resale value? And one more question. If I do replace the Kooks parts with stock parts, and considering the procharger (5-6lbs boost) will I be faced with any issues (I'm assuming that the stock headers will be more restrictive).
Thanks!
Many in California have put the C6 Z06 exhaust manifolds on their Z06s.

While they do not flow as well as the long tubes, they are a good compromise with a little better flow than the stock C5 Z06.
The following users liked this post:
saxplayer (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 05:39 PM
Dbl_D718
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
Many in California have put the C6 Z06 exhaust manifolds on their Z06s.

While they do not flow as well as the long tubes, they are a good compromise with a little better flow than the stock C5 Z06.
And technically, this is still not CARB legal, but will often go unnoticed by the technician inspecting your car, just to be clear.
saxplayer (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 06:17 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

you will also need to get the car retuned after putting stock manifolds back on, moreso because the car is boosted
saxplayer (05-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Kooks Headers in Ca?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Kooks Headers in Ca?