Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you roll with no front plate in a state that requires it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Here in Texas, technically they can't stop you for no front plate - it's an add-on if they stop you for something else. They will give you a fix-it ticket for it (you have 30 days to fix the problem and get the car inspected). I say "technically" because I have been pulled over and that was the excuse they gave me - although when I asked them how, as they passed me going to other way, did they manage to see my Texas plate in their rear view mirror, they later admitted a white guy in a sports car with a brown girlfriend heading towards the border (my wife and I were on our way to Big Bend National Park) was considered "suspicious". In other words, I was profiled. But they let me go once they spoke to my wife in Spanish and she answered in Tagalog.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:53 AM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

NH does have a front plate law. Mine is mounted, but under the cover, which is held on with Velcro.
Never stopped for that reason, and wasn't mentioned when I was. If I ever am, I can comply within seconds.

The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (07-26-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 09:56 AM
jamesbii
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in MN, and I don't have a front plate.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:29 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
In 1998 I became friendly with a C5 owning state trooper. He told me I should remove my front plate because it looks better that way. He said it is an unwritten rule that troopers don't stop Vettes for no front plate. Haven't run a front plate since. I don't run one on my daily driver either. At inspection the woman running the facility told me that they don't care if Vettes have no front plate, they just ignore it. Apparently I guess no one here knows you can put on the front plate and the "Corvette" cover will reinstall right over it. That's how I run mine, it's always on should I need it. Just pull off the cover!
Most of us know that. Mine was kept under the cover. It still is against the law.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:55 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by asicuranza
I live in Cali and have installed this clear plate cover. I think it looks good. Obviously, the best-case scenario would be to not have a plate on the front; however, I don't want to give police a reason to pull me over.

Thanks for posting up this link I live in NorCal also. & its only a matter of time before they get me.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:59 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Used to live in Maryland which requires a front plate. Some jurisdictions there, the cops are just looking for reasons to pull you over in the hope they will find something - especially if you are a younger driver.

Moved across the river to WV, got my new rear plate and took great delight in fitting the front cover.

Last edited by jackthelad; 07-24-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:12 AM
WillItFloat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in Ohio where the plate is required. I used to drive without it and was never stopped. However, I use the car as my daily driver in good weather and drive it on long trips (180,000 miles now). The license plate trim cover got beaten up constantly and I was tired of filling pits and repainting it so now I drive with the plate on. I put the cover on when I want it to look good. As you might guess with 180,000 miles it's no show car
Old 07-24-2018, 11:52 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

WA. state here.I've had the car for 15 years without a front plate. Big caveat... I live in the SE corner of the state, which doesn't do things the same as the libnazis on the west side of the mountains.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:06 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Here in Texas, technically they can't stop you for no front plate - it's an add-on if they stop you for something else. They will give you a fix-it ticket for it (you have 30 days to fix the problem and get the car inspected). I say "technically" because I have been pulled over and that was the excuse they gave me - although when I asked them how, as they passed me going to other way, did they manage to see my Texas plate in their rear view mirror, they later admitted a white guy in a sports car with a brown girlfriend heading towards the border (my wife and I were on our way to Big Bend National Park) was considered "suspicious". In other words, I was profiled. But they let me go once they spoke to my wife in Spanish and she answered in Tagalog.
Tagalog is simply Filipino Spanish, so makes sense!

No front plates on any of my cars here in Texas. I think I’m a hold over from all the years I lived in PA where no front plate is required.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Jim_ZO6
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 108 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C5 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by BlackC5 Z06
Just got my C5 Z06 and I really hate to put the front plate on it because it looks so much better with the cover on it. But I live in IL where front plate is required and I see cops all the time. I feel like it's just a matter of time before I get hassled and pulled over so I might just go ahead and put it on. So do any of you get hassled much that live in a state that requires one?
I live Northwest of Chicago, in Lake County, and I roll without my front plate. It does look a lot cleaner. If I get pulled over, I doubt it will be for not having a front plate, but for driving the way that I do.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Jim_ZO6
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 108 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C5 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by neutron82
they just want your plate to show up on the cctv cameras planted all over the place, that's basically all it is and then a cash grab to ticket people
Old 07-24-2018, 03:00 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I run the front plate on mine - I just do not want to give an LEO any reason to stop me for something that is so minor to me.
SG Lou (08-10-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 04:53 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Another Illinois resident here and I used to run my car without a front plate. Then one day I was pulling off the main street onto my block and there was a cop at the corner doing speed traps. F*cker followed me to my house and pulled into my driveway to ticket me. Not even a warning, just immediate ticket.

Since then, I've run the front plate. It's hideous but I don't want to be hassled and worried everytime I drive. This is my daily and I'm always running around to various parts of the town so it would only be a matter of time before they get me again. It's not worth the tickets and record.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:14 PM
spooledx2
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not running a front plate either even though it is the law in Ida Ho. I ran into a female officer at the gas station right after I got the car 5 months ago... I said "How long will it be before I get pulled over for no front plate?" She said "Honestly most cops don't hassle Vettes for some reason, as long as you aren't speeding or driving recklessly they will most likely leave you alone."

I have been pulled over for not having a front plate in my Porsche 4 times with warnings, twice in my GTR, and once in my truck.. but I have yet to get a ticket. I have the plate and frame in the trunk just in case I do though.

Ramon
Old 07-25-2018, 10:14 AM
mtarr07
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm in Virginia (NoVa). They don't care for the most part but if you're parked on the street pretty much anywhere in Arlington County they will ticket you for no front plate (yes, while it's parked). Que all you old geezers "Well who parks their Corvette on the street, its a national treasure?!?". Street parking is very common, you see plenty of 6 figure cars on the street as it's a city and parking is scarce. I do think it's criminal to get a ticket for no front plate while literally PARKED and not being in the car. Go to a bar for some wings and beer? Hope you enjoy that no front plate ticket when you get out! Ridiculous.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I live in Cali, law says front plate required but 50% of cars on the road here don't have a front plate. Same with me.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:34 AM
Glasact
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

I live in Ohio where front plates are required and I have been lucky so far. In four years, no ticket yet. In fact I would estimate about 70% of the C5 owners in Ohio do not run them. I found my car in Sycamore Illinois, and the previous owner said he had never had front plates on her. I remove the cover a couple times per year to remove bug carcasses and detail.

Get notified of new replies

To How many of you roll with no front plate in a state that requires it?

Old 07-25-2018, 02:31 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

I do not understand all the ruckus about front license plates in states that require them. So what if the plate may not cosmetically blend into the C5 appearance. It is the friggin law folks. . If your state does not require a license plate, why not put one on showing your patriotism while driving and supporting a made in America sports car. I have to but also

proudly display my tag showing folks my dedication to this wonderfully country in the front and back of my avatar. How about you?
Old 07-25-2018, 03:58 PM
C6Sal
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

New York...required...first thing I took off the car when I bought it.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Me. I have refused on every Corvette owned.

Quick Reply: How many of you roll with no front plate in a state that requires it?