Sponsored by:

C5 prices going up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 03:27 PM
MikeWyatt
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Berlin
I just bought my 2004 Z06 with 42,000 miles in December, the dealer wanted $24k, I offered $23K with him paying the registration fees. We settled on $23.5 and half of the reg fees. I also heard from the previous owner that he got $25k on trade-in. So bottom line prices are indeed negotiable.
I just bought a 2004 LeMans Commemorative vert- 16,500 miles, and virtually perfect- for 23,700. I thought I paid a fair price, maybe slightly more than a higher (40K+) mileage car would have been.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:38 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
I am also one who prefers the looks of the coupe over the Z, but I fail to see how that makes the coupe worth as much as the Z...the Z was more expensive new, and it should have a higher resale value now...
The Z is also rarer and a good few got chewed up in competition of one sort or another. You could bring a coupe up to Z spec, if you wanted to, tho' for normal use some of the extras are not really needed - like the power steering cooler.

When the Z was first "in the wind", I went to the dealer where I had bought my coupe and talked to their Corvette guy. He was about as bummed as I was that it was only going to be in FRC style. He reckoned he would have been able to sell an awful lot more if it had been an option on the coupe and vert - and he also reckoned almost nobody would have bought the FRC version. I certainly would have bought a Z06 Coupe at the time and would have been quite happy to lose the removal able roof to get one.

Still, Chevy learned their lesson and has not make the same mistake since.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (08-09-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 03:50 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
The Z is also rarer and a good few got chewed up in competition of one sort or another. You could bring a coupe up to Z spec, if you wanted to, tho' for normal use some of the extras are not really needed - like the power steering cooler.

When the Z was first "in the wind", I went to the dealer where I had bought my coupe and talked to their Corvette guy. He was about as bummed as I was that it was only going to be in FRC style. He reckoned he would have been able to sell an awful lot more if it had been an option on the coupe and vert - and he also reckoned almost nobody would have bought the FRC version. I certainly would have bought a Z06 Coupe at the time and would have been quite happy to lose the removal able roof to get one.

Still, Chevy learned their lesson and has not make the same mistake since.
Yeah, I could never figure out why the C5Z was only made available in the FRC either. Also, I know you are correct in saying that the Z is more rare than the couple as they were only produced for half as many years, but in my for sale searches I'm actually seeing a lot more Zs than coupes...I wonder why?

Last edited by grampi50; 08-08-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

I don't think they're going up in price. If anything I keep seeing cars going DOWN. Even manual transmission targas and convertibles seem to be at their lowest points ever which I thought and have preached forever that they should maintain a premium. I see people in the C5 Corvette Facebook group I'm one of the admins of picking up manual transmission targas with sub-100,000 miles for $10,000 and under quite frequently which at one point wouldn't get you a C5 with mechanical issues. There's even quite a few owners with drift-missile C5s which hey if it saves a C5 I'm all for a drift-missile Corvette.

A few things though;

1) This is the biggest "sell" point of the year IMO, in that it's getting later summer and owners that are scared to take their cars in the rain know they'll get less over the off season because despite what people will tell you it can often be more difficult to sell in the off-season. Holidays are coming up, that equals less money, and most buy around the later stages of winter/early spring during early tax season. Private sellers are going to ask more for their cars, but they're likely not going to get what they're asking and like someone said above in a simple sentence Corvette owners grossly over-estimate the value of their cars by way too much.

2) Keeping in mind above that individuals tend to over price their cars, also don't look at retail. Retail prices are always going to be well above private.

3) If you haven't joined any of the Facebook C5 groups or Corvette sale groups you might look at those. The online sale outlets like Autotrader and Cars.com can only tell you so much, and what I've seen is that many members of these groups give heads up on good deals that come up in the FB marketplace or locally. It's often a very good way to jump on a car that can tick the boxes that you're looking for without having to do a lot of research.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:25 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
I don't think they're going up in price. If anything I keep seeing cars going DOWN. Even manual transmission targas and convertibles seem to be at their lowest points ever which I thought and have preached forever that they should maintain a premium. I see people in the C5 Corvette Facebook group I'm one of the admins of picking up manual transmission targas with sub-100,000 miles for $10,000 and under quite frequently which at one point wouldn't get you a C5 with mechanical issues. There's even quite a few owners with drift-missile C5s which hey if it saves a C5 I'm all for a drift-missile Corvette.

A few things though;

1) This is the biggest "sell" point of the year IMO, in that it's getting later summer and owners that are scared to take their cars in the rain know they'll get less over the off season because despite what people will tell you it can often be more difficult to sell in the off-season. Holidays are coming up, that equals less money, and most buy around the later stages of winter/early spring during early tax season. Private sellers are going to ask more for their cars, but they're likely not going to get what they're asking and like someone said above in a simple sentence Corvette owners grossly over-estimate the value of their cars by way too much.

2) Keeping in mind above that individuals tend to over price their cars, also don't look at retail. Retail prices are always going to be well above private.

3) If you haven't joined any of the Facebook C5 groups or Corvette sale groups you might look at those. The online sale outlets like Autotrader and Cars.com can only tell you so much, and what I've seen is that many members of these groups give heads up on good deals that come up in the FB marketplace or locally. It's often a very good way to jump on a car that can tick the boxes that you're looking for without having to do a lot of research.
Okay, you've got me interested in the Facebook and Corvette sale groups. I've never heard of those, and how do I get in touch with them?

Old 08-08-2018, 06:34 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Yeah, I could never figure out why the C5Z was only made available in the FRC either.
Handling/performance. The chassis is 12% stiffer with a fixed roof coupe than a hatchback/targa. For a car like the Z06 which is track-oriented, this is a must.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 08-08-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:39 PM
SSkull
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought my 01 Z06 back in February from a dealer for 17k OTD. 72k miles, CCW 505A wheels with new Pirellis on them, Halltech intake, and B&B axleback.

Having said that, I see them around here dip really low, and really high. I think it's just like some other guys said above, it's a popular car, and you'll always have those guys in the group that overvalue their car. Right before I got the Z06 I was looking at a white cammed FRC which I really wanted, which was listed at 11k, but didn't work out. If you're looking for one, just keep an open eye and from my experience(at least in southern california) you'll find plenty from all ranges of price.

There's usually a couple with sub 100k miles that are earlier pre ls6 manifold years for like 7k or so, and hovering a little higher, and a little lower price wise with the occasional oddities.

Guy I know just picked up a black 99 that's a little rough, has 115k on it. Automatic, with HUD, for 5100 bucks. Was in fair shape, but price was worth it. And I've seen hatches for sale for roughly 8500-10k that were modded and looked great.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:54 PM
corvette.cw
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 156 Posts

Another indicator of price trends is the auction market. At the recent Mecum Harrisburg auction, three stock-looking C5 convertibles sold for between $16,500 and $19,250 with modest mileage. Two highly modified Z06 sold for about $23,000 each. These prices don't include the buyer's fee, which is usually around 10%.
The following 2 users liked this post by corvette.cw:
CorvetteBrent (08-09-2018), OldBalz (08-11-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:33 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

its not an investment.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dark Sarcasm:
Sam Handwich (08-13-2018), Yello95 (08-11-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 11:09 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I am also one who prefers the looks of the coupe over the Z, but I fail to see how that makes the coupe worth as much as the Z...the Z was more expensive new, and it should have a higher resale value now...
You know what they say about opinions......the FRC is a way better look IMO, I don’t like all the glass of the coupe hatch. I like verts top down #1, FRC #2, Coup #3, vert top up last. JMHO

asking prices mean nothing, just be ready to buy when the right car for you comes available and you will do just fine
Old 08-08-2018, 11:41 PM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Okay, you've got me interested in the Facebook and Corvette sale groups. I've never heard of those, and how do I get in touch with them?
I told you about them . Join Facebook, get on c5, and other corvette groups. I’ve seen red coupes for sale. I private messaged you about one awhile ago as an example. Good luck when ever you actually buy one!
Old 08-09-2018, 12:12 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm
its not an investment.
Sometimes it can be.
Bought my 04Z for $22K CAD (when exchange was about par) 4 years ago. Even if I only got $20K USD right now (I think more), that'd be $25K CAD
Not selling, but if I were...
Old 08-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts

I purchased my '03 last Nov. from a dealer that had taken it in on a trade. It was a garage queen, I contacted the previous owner before I bought it. It only had 20.5K on the clock, and not a scratch or blemish to be found. I got it for $21,500 out the door, but this is after I had the dealer put on 4 new Michelins, new rotors, oil change, and transmission & radiator flush. They kind of balked until I showed them I had the cash in a bag with me, and I told them take it or leave it. I may have paid at the high end, but the car is flawless, and the most important thing is that I'm happy with the deal, and when you get right down to it, that's really all that matters.

Last edited by Ramets; 08-09-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:05 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Forcedvert

You know what they say about opinions......the FRC is a way better look IMO, I don’t like all the glass of the coupe hatch. I like verts top down #1, FRC #2, Coup #3, vert top up last. JMHO

asking prices mean nothing, just be ready to buy when the right car for you comes available and you will do just fine
Everyone having different likes is a good thing. How boring of world this would be if everyone liked the same things. I still don't get the sellers who price their coupes as high as the Zs though...
Old 08-09-2018, 03:46 PM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Everyone having different likes is a good thing. How boring of world this would be if everyone liked the same things. I still don't get the sellers who price their coupes as high as the Zs though...
i wouldn’t worry about prices until you’re ready to buy . I’m on 5 corvette groups with FB , just join and join corvette groups . One of them is a buy sell group , 3 are c5 specific
Old 08-09-2018, 04:13 PM
mic575
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

There are difinitely a few that are priced too high with people who aren't really committed to selling. The C5 is usually an extra car so they figure they will wait until the right buyer shows up.

The reality is they are 20 years old and if you pay 10k or if you pay 17k you still are going to have to be prepared to repair it. Especially if you start driving it more than the last owner. Electronics, transmissions, torque tube, ac compressor, rear end etc, may all need repair within a few months of purchase..
Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 PM
broke_dude
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me over 18 months to finally get a 02' z06, though I spent 8 of those months being indecisive and just watched the market. I will say that the used car market for the Corvette is the only market where there is such a wide price difference between what sellers are willing to sell and buyers are willing to pay. Due to this huge gap difference there are a lot of potential Corvette buyers just lurking the markets waiting for that deal. During my time looking for a Vette, I noticed that a well priced Corvette would come onto market every 4-6 weeks in a 200 mile radius. But those Corvettes sell fast, They're gone in 1 to 2 days.

All the Corvette ads you see now that are more than 2 days old will still be here 3 months from now. You just got to wait for the fair deal to pop up and jump on it fast. I, myself, had to call off work to purchased my vette 8 hours after it was posted.

I agree that sellers are asking too much for the c5, particularly those nearing 100k miles. The Corvette was a bang for your buck performance new car and that should translate to a bang for your buck used car. Corvettes are not that rare, and if it is close to or beyond 100k miles it is just a used car. Not trying bash the Corvette, I'm a proud owner myself.

There are a few pristine Corvettes asking for a premium, and they may be worth every penny. But somehow some of us Corvette owners sees this price premium and add it to our own average Corvette.

Last edited by broke_dude; 08-09-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 prices going up?

Old 08-09-2018, 11:43 PM
hurk130
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Berlin
I just bought my 2004 Z06 with 42,000 miles in December, the dealer wanted $24k, I offered $23K with him paying the registration fees. We settled on $23.5 and half of the reg fees. I also heard from the previous owner that he got $25k on trade-in. So bottom line prices are indeed negotiable.
In 2015 I got a 2004 coupe with 32K on the clock for $23.5k after a long talk down from $25k at a local dealer. Your experience was spot on to mine! Unless you go for the exotics, cars are not a good investment. Well I should say there is better things to invest in.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:59 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,138 Likes on 1,936 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by hurk130
Well I should say there is better things to invest in.
Things I should invest in do not give me any smiles per gallon!
Old 08-10-2018, 12:34 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I just rented a shop, sight unseen, in Boulder City man. Moving ALL my stuff from ATL starting next week. Hope I didn't mess up...lol. My gf has a red 09 C6 6spd and I have the black on black C5Z with yellow C6Z brakes/square setup, that's about to be one off widebodied for my YT channel series I am building. Maybe I'll see ya!

For real though...how hot is it...lmao? It was 99 here the otherday, but also like 91% humidity...I'm trying to really figure out if one is worse than the other.
Not gonna Lie...it's freakin' hot, well over 100 today and been that way for awhile, lots of haze from the CA fires..gets cooler end of Oct, Happy Halloween.

Anyway

Welcome to BC it's the best kept secret in Vegas, A real tiny town Mayberry vibe, no gambling etc.. Lot's of Rod's and Bikes..Car shows too.I play a Jazz Brunch deal every Sunday 9-noon at a local spot. (Chilly-Jillys) There's a few 'Vettes in town but mostly you see them driving through from Vegas to Hoover Dam.

You'll see my Pewter Vert around.

777LVP

Cash

Quick Reply: C5 prices going up?