Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time of year to sell...is it significantly different?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:28 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Actually there is a cost I hadn't recalled earlier. My NCM insurance is due at the end of December. Not too bad, but would suck to renew for a whole year and then sell early next year anyway.

I think at the end of the day this has helped me answer my question. Maybe there is some extra money to be had if I hold out to the Spring, but there is no guarantee. The only guarantee I do have is that I will be paying another year of insurance and will be scraping my "winter" car off for another season. I think I'll reconsider my asking price and see what happens. Worst case it still doesn't sell and I'll try again next spring.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:48 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by imgn tht
Actually there is a cost I hadn't recalled earlier. My NCM insurance is due at the end of December. Not too bad, but would suck to renew for a whole year and then sell early next year anyway.

I think at the end of the day this has helped me answer my question. Maybe there is some extra money to be had if I hold out to the Spring, but there is no guarantee. The only guarantee I do have is that I will be paying another year of insurance and will be scraping my "winter" car off for another season. I think I'll reconsider my asking price and see what happens. Worst case it still doesn't sell and I'll try again next spring.
Most insurance companies refund the "unused" balance if you cancel part way through the year. Springtime is a better time to sell.
The following users liked this post:
The Rabbi (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 06:59 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

My point was that $18K was my original bottom line. I'm now asking even less that than. Not that I only made a $200 price adjustment hoping for buyers.
Sorry... was maybe a bit snide. Main point is that I think your price is high.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:03 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

Depending on where you live many items sell in the right season or sell cheap off season. I purchased more than one boat during winter from a motivated seller for a low price. Ignore the Z06 hype, only Z owners believe it. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:05 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

FB and CL are primarily frequented by broke *** folks. Or folks like me that aren't broke, but like a steal.
I'd get it up on eBay. You would be surprised how many luxury US toys sell to overseas buyers, and eBay is a good tool for such.
CorvetteBrent (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 07:08 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Now until January I'll be looking for a quality C6's. I'll sell the snowblowers I bought in spring and summer. It's not hard. Little window now for convertibles but generally it's down hill for sporty cars until February when dealers start to stock up for spring.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Here’s my input - I think your price is OK it just takes time for the right buyer to show up. Springtime is the best time to sell as buyers will have a full spring, summer and fall to enjoy the car. And as such, prices will be higher that time of year.

As for insurance, the NCM will prorate your premium if you sell the car.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:01 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

CL, CF, FB Marketplace--both on local groups and specific Corvette Buy-Sell-Trade.
Try cargurus, cars.com, ebay... the ones you listed suck..always lowballers..I sold my 79 vette for a decent price and was getting a bunch of hits from car gurus and letgo... if you car is near perfect shape then you should be able to find a buyer who wants a near new looking c5..
Old 09-19-2018, 09:42 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

A couple weeks ago I sold my car and bought a different one. Both private party sales. I was fumbling around on the for sale forum and saw a car that I decided I wanted. It was priced to sell in my opinion, and the seller wanted a no-hassle transaction. That was the incentive to purchase at a reduced price. The seller was quite patient and was willing to wait a few weeks for me to try to sell my car. I basically did the same thing as the seller did, I put a price on my car that was more than fair and listed it. My first buyer came along and asked me what was my best cash price, I moved a little and it was sold. He has called me back multiple times since thrilled with the car and thanked me multiple times for the deal I gave. I don't know how much I left on the table to be honest, I don't even care. I wanted a fast transaction so I can get the car I wanted. In the Ops case, he wants a garage that empty. Will how bad do you want it empty? I did my transaction on my car, contacted my seller and said it's on, and as soon as we could both schedule in sometime for a transaction that was done also. Now did both of us leave some money on the table? Yes. How much is our time worth? I can assure you that's exactly what my seller said to me. And I wasn't willing to take multiple half days off work or screw around wasting time that I could do something constructive, dealing with Tire kickers.

Net result: my seller is happy because he can move on. I'm happy because I've already moved on. And my buyer is happy because he got a great deal on a hell of a nice C5. Right there is the definition of a good deal is when all parties are happy. The op has already pissed around 4 months waiting for a buyer and hasn't figured out that the market isn't there for that car at that price. At least not in the area he's at so he's either too high or he's marketing the car in the wrong locations.
CorvetteBrent (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 02:48 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbair64
I would say. If your storing at your home and its not costing you anything. You could hold off and see if you get any better offers. If your paying for storage you would have to weigh out the cost of storing it against what the potential sale price could be. If it cost you that same 2k to store sell it now for 16k.
Storing his car at home may cost him some money if he pays for insurance on the car.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:04 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 210 Posts

CL, CF, FB Marketplace--both on local groups and specific Corvette Buy-Sell-Trade.
I think you are on the right track. You might try eBay. I have purchased 3 Corvette C5s on eBay and I sold my C4 convertible on that site.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:55 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

I buy boats and sports cars in the fall for that very reason. On my '02 Z06 the owner was asking 28K and it was late September. It had 19K on the clock, in mint condition, and has Magnuson supercharger and Callaway Exhaust already installed. I paid 24K as he didn't want to sit on it over the winter and it was a Wisconsin car. You only want to be a buyer this time of year not a seller.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:23 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

When I was wholesaling cars in Chicago I bought an MGB in Sept and couldn't get a bid at the auction, had to hold it till Spring if that experience tells you anything.

Quick Reply: Time of year to sell...is it significantly different?