Sponsored by:

Radios

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 08:09 AM
openpot1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radios

What do you guys do about putting in a new radio in the C5 ?
Old 09-29-2018, 10:56 AM
Gunnmetalblue
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by openpot1
www.crutchfield.com
Old 09-29-2018, 11:11 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by openpot1
You did not mention if you're looking at a Double-DIN replacement or a Single-DIN. That's the 1st decision you have to make.

A Double-DIN is very nice, but if budget doesn't allow it and you want to consider a Single-DIN, then you would need an adapter plate to secure the new unit in place and provide a nice finish.

Here is an adapter plate that matches the interior very well. It has the word "Corvette" engraved in it that can be set up with backlighting (or you can customize the lettering).

From their website:

CNC machined aluminum faceplate, finished in either a fine black texture finish or brushed aluminum.

The lettering can be above or below the head unit opening, there is also a non illuminated version with the head unit located in the center of the mount.

The main lettering illumination available in red, blue, green, yellow, white LED’s and also red mini lamp illumination.

Custom lettering and design is available.

For a ​​​​Double-DIN headunit you will need a Double-DIN bezel. Vettenuts offers one that is topnotch, but not inexpensive. There's a less expensive option, although not at the same quality level, from Metra. You may want to compare them before making a decision.

Regarding the headunit, these are basically the main options available:
  1. Replace just the headunit, leaving the rest of the system intact using
  2. Keep the headunit, but replace everything else adding a multichannel external amp driving new speakers through new wires by using
  3. Replace just the 4 twiddlers with 2-way coaxial speakers leaving the rest of the system intact
  4. Combine 1 and 3
  5. Take everything out and replace all from scratch

That being said, without a doubt, the easiest and least expensive way to upgrade the system with the more bang for your buck is new speakers that can be bolted on in place of the factory ones, keeping the rest of the system intact.

The C5 OEM speakers do not include any real tweeter. Bose used 4 plain-cone (paper) speakers to handle high and mid frequencies and called them "twiddlers". That's why you can make a big improvement by replacing them with a 2-way coaxial design.

OEM C5 Speaker Sizes:

-Front
Twiddler: 3.5"
Subwoofer: 8"

-Rear Twiddler
Coupe: 6.5"
FRC/Z06/Convertible: 5.25"

For bolt-on speaker upgrades, get 3.5" 2-way coaxial speakers to replace the doors' twiddlers and 2-way coaxials of the right size for the rear. Don't touch the OEM subwoofers.

A quick search produced this:

JL Audio Evolution™ C2 Series 2-way car speakers:
  • C2-350X (3-1/2")
  • C2-525X (5-1/4")
  • C2-650X (6-1/2")

Not only they are from the same manufacturer, but they all belong to the same line. This should reasonably assure you they have the same timbre.

You are going to need
<b>this kit</b> this kit
as well. One kit will do both rears.

Independent confirmation that upgrading the 4 twiddlers makes a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade.

Last edited by GCG; 01-12-2019 at 10:13 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GCG:
bc6152 (01-11-2019), laurent_zo6 (10-05-2018), Mr. Black (09-30-2018), Vetteman Jack (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 02:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

GCG - excellent post with very useful information. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:30 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnmetalblue
I second the motion!
Old 09-30-2018, 10:25 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
GCG - excellent post with very useful information. Thanks.
Thank you for your kind words. This is a subject that comes up often and I tried to cover all the possible angles.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:13 AM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,124 Likes on 1,929 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I just finished a double din swap and it was worth every penny so far. Backup camera and Waze on a big screen were my main goals.

GCG very nice write up, but I will add that I am 99% sure that the current PAC box retains the RAP as well. I will verify soon. I don't really care about that feature but I am certain I have taken the key out and the radio remains on until a door is opened.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:20 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
GCG very nice write up, but I will add that I am 99% sure that the current PAC box retains the RAP as well. I will verify soon...
Thanks! Please, let us know your findings. That would be a new feature for the PAC

Last edited by GCG; 09-30-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GCG
Thanks! Please, let us know your findings. That would be a new feature for the PAC
I stand myself corrected. It appears to not retain the RAP feature. Thanks for making me double check.

Like I said I'm ok with that.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:45 PM
RyanG
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Subbed for GCG's useful info. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:50 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 666 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Lot of good information here!
Gunmetalblue's info about Crutchfield is good to have. I have sometimes found comparable equipment the same price or even a little lower on Amazon, but Crutchfield has a great support team that can walk you through almost any issue you're facing while installing your new equipment.
GCG's breakdown was very complete and comprehensive. However, the question he asked about double or single din is ssignificant. You need to decide that before you get very far into determining which specific pieces of equipment you'll need. As Mr. Black said, a great feature with the double din is the back up camera and WAZE. We also have a front facing camera, navigation, and very important to me is hands free telephone. We spent the extra money to go with the double din console from Vettenuts. As stated, it is more expensive than the Metra unit by about $120, if I remember correctly. However, when looking at the difference in texture (the Vettenuts bezel is virtually identical to the rest of your dash), to me the cost difference spread over however many years we keep this C5 became a very minor point. Hopefully if you go the double din route you would have a chance to see both bezels so you can make your own decision.
We used a pop up single din radio that became almost as large as the double din screen however, when up it blocked the center air/heat vents and it wouldn't interface with our Apple iPhones for nav or hands free. The radio/CD/MP5 player would work when the screen was down however, it became a hassle to remember to raise it every time we wanted to see the back up camera. My grandson is very pleased we went with a new system since he inherited the Panasonic unit.
Best wishes with your search!
Old 10-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Heyspike
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 25 Posts

GCG, I looked at Crutchfield and found a Alpine Unit that says I need to remove the rear bracket in order for it to fit.
Is that a big deal and do you have to have the new bezel? Thanks, John
Old 10-03-2018, 03:14 PM
BillD1956
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Bracket

Originally Posted by Heyspike
GCG, I looked at Crutchfield and found a Alpine Unit that says I need to remove the rear bracket in order for it to fit.
I too was wondering about this.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:15 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyspike
The rear bracket is held in by I think 4 rivets. It took about 10 minutes to grind them down and remove the bracket. I used a bezel from Crutchfield that came with the radio as part of the installation package.. It worked fine.
The following users liked this post:
Heyspike (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:16 PM
howie2092
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BillD1956
I too was wondering about this.
I was able to bend the tab on the bracket back about 45 degrees with a stubby screwdriver (for a single din. Takes like 5 seconds. No cutting necessary). In the unlikely event that I re-install the stock unit, I can bend the bracket back!
If you install a 'digital receiver' (deck with AM/FM, MP3, USB HD radio, Bluetooth, Handsfree, Pandora, SiriusXM... and NO CD player), there is no need to modify the bracket because they are not as deep. Who uses CD's anyway.

Last edited by howie2092; 10-03-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Heyspike (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:57 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by howie2092
I was able to bend the tab on the bracket back about 45 degrees with a stubby screwdriver. No cutting necessary. In the unlikely event that I re-install the stock unit, I can bend the bracket back!
If you install a 'digital receiver' (deck with AM/FM, HD radio, Bluetooth, Handsfree, Pandora, SiriusXM... and NO CD player), there is no need to modify the bracket because they are not as deep. Who uses CD's anyway, it's not 2002 anymore!
You could cut the shelf out with the gnarliest sawzall and cut the tabs off to go full double din, and then if wanted go completely back to factory with a stock bezel and stock head unit, and the car would never know the difference internally or externally. I've seen this done.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Heyspike
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
You could cut the shelf out with the gnarliest sawzall and cut the tabs off to go full double din, and then if wanted go completely back to factory with a stock bezel and stock head unit, and the car would never know the difference internally or externally. I've seen this done.
Thanks guys, I was thinking single DIN, it's not my DD and I'm really not a audiophile person. I have now reception on my stock radio now, it could be an antenna issue.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:03 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG

Regarding the headunit, these are basically the main options available:
  1. Replace just the headunit, leaving the rest of the system intact using
  2. Keep the headunit, but replace everything else adding a multichannel external amp driving new speakers through new wires by using
  3. Replace just the 4 twiddlers with 2-way coaxial speakers leaving the rest of the system intact
  4. Combine 1 and 3
  5. Take everything out and replace all from scratch
@GCG Can you please clarify on #1 above? Are both required or, one or the other? If it's one or the other, can you provide some detail on features, pros/cons? There is quite a price spread between the two.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:13 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bigsapper
@GCG Can you please clarify on #1 above? Are both required or, one or the other? If it's one or the other, can you provide some detail on features, pros/cons? There is quite a price spread between the two.
It is one or the other. Either one will perform well, but the
<b>Axxess XSVI-2004</b> Axxess XSVI-2004
interfaces with the Serial Data Bus, preserving the RAP feature and not needing an external "Accessory" switched power connection.

Since the
Pac Audio ROEM-VET1 Pac Audio ROEM-VET1
doesn't interface with the Serial Data Bus, it doesn't preserve RAP and requires the extra switched connection. The headunit's OEM harness lacks this connection, but it can be easily brought from an unused harness (except '04) in the passenger's footwell that has ground, always hot and accessory switched wires with separate fuses.

Last edited by GCG; 01-12-2019 at 12:45 AM.
bigsapper (01-12-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Radios

Quick Reply: Radios