Sponsored by:

Need suggestion for coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 02:05 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Need suggestion for coil overs

Since I lowered my C5 with Eibach 2inch lowering bolts( has new Z06 shocks, cultrag C6 Z51 sways) it’s been hell. I’m not even convinced Bilsteins Sport B8’s I believe they are ( designed for a lowered application ) will provide the substantial difference I want.

So in the coil over market, strickly for my daily driver that yes I do rip around all over in it. Which set is gonna provide the softest ride with minimal roll as possible. The soft ride is more important. I realize the words soft ride and corvette never collide in the same sentence but if I gotta spend a grand or close to it I will. Honestly sick of how rough it is. Thank guys.

I just did some research on coil overs and Aldan American Coil Overs seem to stand out over everything. $1300 sounds like a lot for shocks on a daily driver but honestly if purchasing these are the end all of poor ride comfort in my C5. I’m happy to pay it. Please let me know what I’m getting into purchasing this brand.

Last edited by C5 for life; 10-20-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:47 PM
c5capcity
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the Aldan's. In this price range you're limited to the BC Racing, Stance and Aldan's. I had the BC's first and the shock diameter is way too small for a vette imo. They road nice but I have the stiffness all the way up for how low I am. The Aldan's are much beefier and ride nice. I keep turning them up as I feel they are too soft(I still have a couple clicks left.) I think you'll be pleased with the Aldan's if comfort is your main concern.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:00 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Subscribing to this thread. I will be installing coilovers sometime I hope also. The Aldan's are my choice at the moment also but I don't have any experience with any of them yet. I like their price also.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:03 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Originally Posted by c5capcity
Go with the Aldan's. In this price range you're limited to the BC Racing, Stance and Aldan's. I had the BC's first and the shock diameter is way too small for a vette imo. They road nice but I have the stiffness all the way up for how low I am. The Aldan's are much beefier and ride nice. I keep turning them up as I feel they are too soft(I still have a couple clicks left.) I think you'll be pleased with the Aldan's if comfort is your main concern.
it certainly is my friend. I keep adding things here and there for cosmetic and such before I get into the performance portion. The coil overs and my side skirts are the last before I put her away for the long sleep of the winter. Thank you brother!

Last edited by C5 for life; 10-20-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:10 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Go with the Aldan's. In this price range you're limited to the BC Racing, Stance and Aldan's. I had the BC's first and the shock diameter is way too small for a vette imo. They road nice but I have the stiffness all the way up for how low I am. The Aldan's are much beefier and ride nice. I keep turning them up as I feel they are too soft(I still have a couple clicks left.) I think you'll be pleased with
the Aldan's if comfort is your main concern.
hey bud, I’m seeing they market them as “stock height coil overs” Being that I’m dropped two inches with my lowering bolts do they customize the set I want to support a lowered application ? Or should I just call them directly to get the broad strokes ?
Old 10-20-2018, 03:33 PM
c5capcity
Advanced

They will go to the ground. I raised my car up when I put my headers on, but the went lower than my BC’s.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:39 PM
c5capcity
Advanced

How she sits now.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:41 PM
C5 for life
Pro

How she sits now.
And she’s looking sweet! 👍🏻
Old 10-20-2018, 04:04 PM
c5capcity
Advanced

Thank you
Old 10-20-2018, 04:06 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Only had mine since January and I can’t get it together fast enough. Best decision I ever made.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:41 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

I put lots of coilover info in this C6 thread, not sure how I got involved here but I did, I could post a lot more, but just did not have time to research all of them.

I did not pick any favorites, just tried to post what I learned & researched on my own & by talking to the engineers from the companies that make coilovers & springs.

Hopefully I can help someone here as well, I have the BC Racing DR Series Digressive, so I have lots of pictures of them installed, and have been running them this summer without issue, would like to add I also run a drop spindle so I get the extra 1" drop, just because you have coilovers doesn't mean you can slam your car & still get the ride quality you want.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...coilovers.html

Last edited by 6speedsteve; 10-20-2018 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mstromquist (10-22-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 04:45 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve
I put lots of coilover info in this C6 thread, not sure how I got involved here but I did, I could post a lot more, but just did not have time to research all of them.

I did not pick any favorites, just tried to post what I learned & researched on my own & by talking to the engineers from the companies that make coilovers & springs.

Hopefully I can help someone here as well, I have the BC racing so I have lots of pictures of them installed, and have been running them this summer without issue, would like to add I also run a drop spindle so I get the extra 1" drop, just because you have coilovers doesn't mean you can slam your car & still get the ride quality you want.

Thanks for jumping in bud. I live in NJ and the roads here are so beyond bad. Dropping it two inches I was more interested in the look not considering the ride. And it’s of course been worse since dropping. That’s why I’m jumping right to the premium shocks to put this comfort ride problem to bed for good.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:48 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Really good stuff Steve 👍🏻
Old 10-20-2018, 04:52 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve

Hopefully I can help someone here as well, I have the BC Racing DR Series Digressive, so I have lots of pictures of them installed, and have been running them this summer without issue, would like to add I also run a drop spindle so I get the extra 1" drop, just because you have coilovers doesn't mean you can slam your car & still get the ride quality you want.

just a quick thought bud. I’m out the door on my way to work bud real quick. You say more than 1 1/4 inch drop you need a custom set up made. What’s my best bet with my 2 inch eibach lowering bolts while purchasing Aldan Americans ? And what can I expect ?

Last edited by C5 for life; 10-20-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:58 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5 for life

Thanks for jumping in bud. I live in NJ and the roads here are so beyond bad. Dropping it two inches I was more interested in the look not considering the ride. And it’s of course been worse since dropping. That’s why I’m jumping right to the premium shocks to put this comfort ride problem to bed for good.
My car is extremely low, but I still have good ride quality even with 20's and 26" tall tires, never bottomed & still handles as a Corvette should, spring rates are also important if you want ride quality, even with a 400"lb front spring I have not yet scrubbed the tire anywhere inside the wheel well, & I purposely drive on bumpy wallowy roads with out issue, & my shock settings are on soft settings.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:01 PM
c5capcity
Advanced

The Aldan's will get you close to were you at currently. To go lower you start running negative preload. Honestly the reason I'm on BC's is because in order to slam my car I removed collars in the rear resulting in a ton of negative preload. It still road nice imo but that's subjective. But when you start hitting dips or catch air and your suspension travel maxes out your springs are jumping off of their seat. I snapped my BC in half doing that I still run a little negative preload on the Aldan's but not as much as the BC's.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:03 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5 for life

just a quick thought bud. I’m out the door on my way to work bud real quick. You say more than 1 1/4 inch drop you need a custom set up made. What’s my best bet with my 2 inch eibach lowering bolts while purchasing Aldan Americans ? And what can I expect ?
Most manufacturers don't recommend anything lower than 1-1/4" unless you use an adjustable base coilover, but there are still issues with bumpsteer & suspension geometry if you go too low. I know Aldan if you want to go lower they have a special front shock designed for that, you would need to talk to them so they know exactly where you want to be.

Get notified of new replies

To Need suggestion for coil overs

Old 10-20-2018, 05:04 PM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

Received 246 Likes on 75 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

I just bought the Aldan’s myself. I read the entire thread in the racing section. These seem like everything I would want them to do. They have a new design for the shock that allows full height adjustment. The racing guys are having tremendous success with those. Can’t wait to get em on.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:15 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

The Aldan's will get you close to were you at currently. To go lower you start running negative preload. Honestly the reason I'm on BC's is because in order to slam my car I removed collars in the rear resulting in a ton of negative preload. It still road nice imo but that's subjective. But when you start hitting dips or catch air and your suspension travel maxes out your springs are jumping off of their seat. I snapped my BC in half doing that I still run a little negative preload on the Aldan's but not as much as the BC's.
If your springs are coming off the base then you need more preload, or maybe a taller spring. I did not like the BC Racing springs that came with mine, as they stated not to add too much preload as it could result in rate shifting, so I called Hyperco & you can see in the C6 thread I posted in after talking to one of their engineers, to run a taller spring which will give less side loading on your shock, less chance of damage, so I run 7" springs F & R & more than the 1/8 preload that BC recommends.

Last edited by 6speedsteve; 10-20-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:20 PM
jumpmanmb87
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm running Vikings, I like them.

Quick Reply: Need suggestion for coil overs