New front shot!
wow! that's wicked!
Old 01-26-2019, 09:31 PM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by petdsim
Update pics!
maggies have that cool factor that goes with the PD blower look. very very sweet...
Old 01-26-2019, 09:31 PM
petdsim
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
ps: have you addressed cooling (fluids & IATs) yet?
Nope - that's definitely something I'd want to hit in the future... only cooling besides what was provided in the Maggie kit would be e85... Hopefully it won't have ridiculous IATs lol.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:37 PM
petdsim
Instructor

yeah, i ain't so sure keeping that cam did you any favors. folks've used MS3s & MS4s with PD blowers in the past & been disappointed... just as a nuggets-up.
i ended up getting the BTR PD Stg3 - first i've ever seen in less than a 6.0L - so we'll see how it turns out for putting around town.with a sawzall
lower mounts can provide other issues (like oil pan on front spring & balancer to PS rack), but cradle spacers have done the trick for the lower-profile heartbeat systems. seen 2 of those fitted to C5s with stock hoods. TVS is too tall, though. good news is you don't need spacers with the right hood. if you saw me talking about them earlier, it was because i was gonna use a 1/2" spacer in the blower manifold, which then did require some massaging.Hm I was not aware of this... I thought the blower would only require a raised hood for fitment. Next time I am in contact with the shop for an update I will ask them!
that was the cowl for the FAST as explained earlier as well as the LSA unit. gotta cut a big chunk out for that one; there's pics all over about it.i'm with Larry on that 6rib. sounds like mine quits making boost at 10 on a stock balancer with 3.8 front & OD cogs.
also consider that's 10psi through a large cam, big-valve heads, and 1 7/8 headers to dual 3". good luck with the flex fuel. my show suggested doing an e85 swap, but i'm already *****-deep into my savings from everything else getting did right now. [/quote]

Oh boy... I'll ask my shop about all that. They told me the cam should be fine and offered to custom grind me a new cam, but... said there was no need. But, what you said brings questions to me... mainly about the boost and when it begins losing the ability to get to or hold boost levels...
Old 01-26-2019, 09:40 PM
petdsim
Instructor

Originally Posted by red03vette
maggies have that cool factor that goes with the PD blower look. very very sweet...
Thanks a lot! I'll keep everyone updated!
Old 01-27-2019, 01:31 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by petdsim
Oh boy... I'll ask my shop about all that. They told me the cam should be fine and offered to custom grind me a new cam, but... said there was no need. But, what you said brings questions to me... mainly about the boost and when it begins losing the ability to get to or hold boost levels...
not saying it'll fall on its face or anything - it just ain't the best option (but will still sound wicked). plenty of guys have changed to smaller boost cams & made more power is all.
big N/A cams do better in centrifugal cars (blowers made to exploit top-end breathing), but it ain't as bad as trying to run it in a turbo setup... so don't lose sleep over it.

granted, i still ain't got my car back from phase 2 yet to provide 1st-hand experience, so take that for what it's worth. my blower's been on a stock motor until now, but i have been studying up for the last few years & talking to dudes who've been there trying to learn as much as i can before pulling the trigger on all the optimization goodies this time around. from what i understand, my pressure plateau is due to pulling the plug on the 8rib swap. i've got the biggest pulley they mass-produce (3.8), the C5 kit has more belt wrap than most TVS setups, and the cogs clearly ain't slipping. tuning's on a temporary hold waiting a couple more parts, but last i heard was it peaked at 10psi & then drops a bit up top. tensioner's still tight.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:27 PM
petdsim
Instructor

Originally Posted by red03vette
Thanks a lot! I'll keep you and everyone else updated!
The following users liked this post:
red03vette (01-27-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 01:37 AM
petdsim
Instructor

not saying it'll fall on its face or anything - it just ain't the best option (but will still sound wicked). plenty of guys have changed to smaller boost cams & made more power is all.
big N/A cams do better in centrifugal cars (blowers made to exploit top-end breathing), but it ain't as bad as trying to run it in a turbo setup... so don't lose sleep over it.

granted, i still ain't got my car back from phase 2 yet to provide 1st-hand experience, so take that for what it's worth. my blower's been on a stock motor until now, but i have been studying up for the last few years & talking to dudes who've been there trying to learn as much as i can before pulling the trigger on all the optimization goodies this time around. from what i understand, my pressure plateau is due to pulling the plug on the 8rib swap. i've got the biggest pulley they mass-produce (3.8), the C5 kit has more belt wrap than most TVS setups, and the cogs clearly ain't slipping. tuning's on a temporary hold waiting a couple more parts, but last i heard was it peaked at 10psi & then drops a bit up top. tensioner's still tight.
Gotcha... that's pretty much what my shop told me about the cam as well, but made it seem like it wouldn't make too much of a difference... I love the sound of a choppy big cam so maybe my wishful thinking steered the convo and decision lol. Definitely not the best cam option for sure... but I fell in love with the chop of this cam so if the power difference is minor I'll be happy haha. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 PM
petdsim
Instructor

Update: I just talked to my shop and they confirmed the car is now fully assembled (as of 1-30-19). Hopefully I'll have some time in the next few days to run over and check it out. It looks like tuning and playing with pulley sizes is all that is left (for now).

Also, thank you to everyone for the feedback about my cam (MS3)... it started to make me worry about potential problems arising from hitting redline / missing a shift. Due to the size of the cam, there is very little room for error... and I don't want to make a split-second five figure mistake lol. For now, I'm going to keep the N2MB WOT box disabled while I rack up a little more experience with the car one on one lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by petdsim:
CorvetteBrent (02-19-2019), red03vette (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 11:11 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

you sure don't wanna be bouncing off the rev limiter with a cog drive...
Old 02-01-2019, 12:44 PM
petdsim
Instructor

Originally Posted by boostedfury
This is going to be great! Be sure to post up videos also!
Here's a start up video!

The following 3 users liked this post by petdsim:
03hdfatboy (09-05-2021), CorvetteBrent (02-19-2019), Mr. Black (02-18-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 12:46 PM
jglassmaker
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

vroom vroom!
That is the part I would be feeling like I was on top of the world and just finished climbing Mt Everest or something.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:26 PM
petdsim
Instructor

Update: Initial dyno picture attached. We've been having some technical difficulties with the build to say the least. The car made low boost because we were sent the wrong pulley for the cog drive. We ordered a new one so that's no big deal. But... the intake isn't clearing the hood... so I'm hoping there will be a bit that we can shave off under the hood so that we won't have to cut a hole into it lol.

Based off the initial dyno results on low boost, the car should make right around 700 whp. I really want to throw on a 150 shot, but... I don't feel safe doing that with an aluminum block. Not sure a built aluminum ls6 is good for 800+ whp reliably lol.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by petdsim:
CorvetteBrent (02-19-2019), knewblewkorvette (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:30 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

That sounds amazing. I hope you get all your adversities sorted soon enough.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 PM
petdsim
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
That sounds amazing. I hope you get all your adversities sorted soon enough.
Thanks! I hope so too. More updates soon!
Old 02-19-2019, 01:32 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

giggity!

yeah, had i opted for the corn juice conversion, i probably coulda been right up there in the 700s with ya, but i stuck to 93 and expect low-mid 600s-ish. so long as this 3rd a/c line is actually the right one, installs right, and the tuning goes good, i should finally get her back this weekend & see what it actually makes.

Last edited by _zebra; 02-19-2019 at 01:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 12:28 PM
petdsim
Instructor

giggity!

yeah, had i opted for the corn juice conversion, i probably coulda been right up there in the 700s with ya, but i stuck to 93 and expect low-mid 600s-ish. so long as this 3rd a/c line is actually the right one, installs right, and the tuning goes good, i should finally get her back this weekend & see what it actually makes.
That's awesome. Can't wait to hear what you end up running. The good thing about 93 is how easily accessible it is... quality e85 isn't always the easiest to find lol. Luckily, I have a reliable Thornton's near my place. There's a shell by my house that sells e85 as well, but it is consistently terrible haha.

The good thing is that if you can always go e85 in the future. I'm afraid of reaching the point where I get used to the power level with this build. I'd love to throw more power via nitrous at my c5, but don't think the block would be able to handle even a 100 shot lol.

Get notified of new replies

To TVS2300 build on an 01 Z06 by petdsim

Old 02-20-2019, 01:14 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

yeah, the TVS already hits hard enough... to throw a shot of gas on top might not be pretty with as much as we're already pushing the motors.
Bret already said he's softening my tune up a bit because it almost gets away from you too easily... which makes me giggle inside a little.
... that & mine's still a stock LS1 short block
Old 02-21-2019, 11:55 AM
petdsim
Instructor

yeah, the TVS already hits hard enough... to throw a shot of gas on top might not be pretty with as much as we're already pushing the motors.
Bret already said he's softening my tune up a bit because it almost gets away from you too easily... which makes me giggle inside a little.
... that & mine's still a stock LS1 short block
Yeah definitely with a stock short block and all that torque! Haha.

Looks like the shop ran into more problems with my build... major belt slip with the 6 rib setup. We are going with an overdrive rear cog and the 8 rib swap. My shop hopes the 8 rib will be able to hold 12 lbs or so steady and get my peak HP where it should be. Torque was 600+ to the rear tires so at least some good news. But, they are questioning if switching to a 102 intake / throttle body and / or switching the heads with higher flowing ones would relieve any possible restriction (if present). I'm hoping we won't need any of that because those are two pricey mods... so hopefully we can slap the 8 rib pulley on there and call it a day haha.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:42 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

likely nearing the point of pulling a little vacuum on a 90mm TB, so it's about whether or not it's worth it to ya...
last i heard was that my stock balancer & 3.8 was slipping above 10psi... and my belt's pretty tight. that's also with OD cogs.

Quick Reply: TVS2300 build on an 01 Z06 by petdsim