Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anybody buy a C5 over 6 or 7 just based on looks ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:05 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Efx
C5 is a timeless design
No doubt.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:10 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcypress
yes , one coupe and one convertible and truth is i ''hated'' looks of c5 when they first came out . . . peace
So did I, but it grew on me as well.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:17 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

I first bought my C5 Vert and I absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED the car. It was fast, sexy and turned heads. I like and respect the C6, but to me, it wasn't that much different "looking" than a C5 so to me I always felt it wasn't worth the money to upgrade.

I then sat in a C7 and it was game over - I fell in love with the C7 and just had to have one - so I sold my C5, and bought a 2014 Z51, 3LT, 7-spd. Although I stole this car from the seller - the price did "sting" a bit financially (because its a toy) but well worth it in the end...

Fast forward 1 year, my fiance comes to a car show with me, and falls in love with a C6 and yellow is her favorite color - so this year she turns 50 so I surprised her with a mint C6 for her Birthday - so now Ive had the C5, C6 and C7 - all are just awesome cars...

Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Whipitnow
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert

My my point was he likes the coupe, (I much prefer the Z and the FRC style myself) but if it’s Z performance you want in a coupe, it could easily be done with Z parts or aftermarket, after all they are basically the same car or am I missing something?

Wasn't trying to insult anyone, maybe my wording was not exactly right when I said “doesn’t take much” all things relative though, money wise, I think it would not be too bad at all to get them close enough for the average driver.
From my reading performance wise a FRC with a slightly massaged motor is a Z06, I know the seats were different and curious what else is ?

When you buy a C6 Z06 you are getting a completely defferent car over the other C6's, it's a shame the motor the " LS7's " has had a few issues that were or could be catastrophic because other than that it seems it would be the one to have.....
Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipitnow
From my reading performance wise a FRC with a slightly massaged motor is a Z06, I know the seats were different and curious what else is ?

When you buy a C6 Z06 you are getting a completely defferent car over the other C6's, it's a shame the motor the " LS7's " has had a few issues that were or could be catastrophic because other than that it seems it would be the one to have.....
There are a TON of differences between the C5Z and the base C5, and much of it is outside the motor.

Lots of weight saving measures (including thinner glass, titanium exhaust), better transmission gearing, many suspension components, fixed/hard top body for chassis rigidity, the list goes on and on...

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 01-14-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

I thought a FRC had the same suspension ? tranny ? or different gearing on rear ?
Old 01-14-2019, 03:28 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

I thought a FRC had the same suspension ? tranny ? or different gearing on rear ?
AFAIR...
Different springs, shocks, sway bars
Same rear gears, but better tranny gearing
LS6 vs LS1
Lighter windshield, exhaust
Bigger wheels and tires
Better cooling
There is a huge precise list out there.

Last edited by grantv; 01-14-2019 at 03:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by grantv:
ArmchairArchitect (01-15-2019), Lingenfelter (01-27-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

Originally Posted by grantv
AFAIR...
Different springs, shocks, sway bars
Same rear gears, but better tranny gearing
LS6 vs LS1
Lighter windshield, exhaust
Bigger wheels and tires
Better cooling
There is a huge precise list out there.
I thought the FRC had Z51 suspension package which was the Z06 package ? Better quality gears or just lower gearing ?

I heard the windsheild is bad because if you break it it is a nightmare to replace ?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:02 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I thought the FRC had Z51 suspension package which was the Z06 package ? Better quality gears or just lower gearing ?
Z06 suspension is different than Z51. Thicker sway bars, etc. Lower gears but you still have 5th and 6th as overdrive gears for highway fuel economy (it may have beefier transmission components as well, not sure). You can do a Google search for all the differences.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 01-15-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:45 AM
BlackHellcat
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have had 2 C6 Vettes & now picked up a C5. The right deal just happened to be a C5 as I was also looking at C6s again
Old 01-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Z06 suspension is different than Z51. Thicker sway bars, etc. Lower gears but you still have 5th and 6th as overdrive gears for highway fuel economy (it may have beefier transmission components as well, not sure). You can do a Google search for all the differences.
I wonder how hard it is to take the top up on a Z06 ?
Old 01-15-2019, 02:31 PM
Vortech C5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C5 z06

I had a 2000 Arctic white FRC I bought new in October of 99. I absolutely loved that car. White is my color of choice on all cars. Sadly, in 2014, I crashed and totaled it. While I love all corvettes, there is nothing I like more then the C5 FRC shape. I searched for a mint replacement but couldn't find one in white. I ordered a new 2015 BMW M3 instead. It was a brand new model for 2015 (still the same generation/shape) with awesome stuff from the factory (big brakes, 430hp, 3.9 0-60, etc.)! I figured that this car would "fix" me. While I still have the car and love it (my daily driver) it was never a vette in my opinion. I continued my search and finally found the car of my dreams in late August of 2018. A 2001 speedway white Z06 (one of 352 ever made) with 25K miles. Its absolutely mint without a scratch and loved by the previous owner. It was covered all of its life in a climate controlled garage by a collector. Needless to say, I am beside my self with this car. NOTHING (to me) is a C5 corvette. I feel that its the last of the "raw" experience without driving a rattle can. It also is new enough but not to new so you don't feel like you are driving a computer. My BMW does everything well but doesn't provide the visceral experience of my C5 Z06. Also, NO new car is as light as a C5 Z06 and its evident every time I drive it. To me....Yes...The C5 vettes are "it."
Ray
Old 01-15-2019, 03:48 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

Thanks Ray, how much more do you like the Z over the FRC ? Yaa I looked at a Speedway White Z06 EXPENSIVE!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:15 PM
Vortech C5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

The 99 and 00 FRC vettes are incredible too. For me, 95% is the body style and they are both the same. They are both super lightweight too. I just wanted a mint white one. You can't go wrong with any of the C5s really. Some love the coupe and convertible shape. Those have beautiful lines too. They all have proved to be "bullet proof," were way over engineered, and set the blueprint (engine and drive terrain) for all the vettes to follow. As far as price, I don't think they will ever be cheaper then the current market. You can't go wrong. Its always better to spend a few extra thousand to get a clean one then one that needs work and was never as loved/cared for. Good luck!

Last edited by Vortech C5; 01-15-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:25 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 818 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
The throttle response in a Stingray would get granny killed if she drove it and that is why they have the progressive electronic throttle. That's easily eliminated in HP Tuners or TunerCat if you want to do it, but I for one have no interest in it. I did all the tuning on my C5 and I have given thought to what it would be like in my C6 w/LS7. All you need to do is roll in the throttle and let the rpms rise. In my Vert, at 25% throttle it'll light up the tires on smooth dry road at 70 in 2nd gear. Can you imagine what that would be like to drive if it was all there at idle? Probably sounds fun, but in truth, I don't want the tires spinning every time I breathe on the throttle.

I could tune it out of mine in the torque management, but have no desire. I prefer that you have to be a little more deliberate to get it opened up. Good move by GM imho.
K-Spas... Thanx for the info on throttle lag!... I've questioned that lag often to a "Corvette wrench" without the clear explanation you have provided.... I have often wanted that lag to be tuned out, thinking it a hindrance. You've convinced me to "let it ride"... Good call by the designers of C5.
​​​​​
Old 01-26-2019, 05:25 PM
Aquarian
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Love my C5 its Light years away from my 75 ...I wanted it because of the pop up headlights..always loved them, was kinda disappointed when the C6 did away with them. As for the new C7, I have more room in the C5, especially on the passengers side. I work at a Chevy store and many people noticed the difference for the previous generation vettes with regards to interior room. With that said , Im looking at picking up a nice C6 we took in on trade. Its a sickness......
Old 01-26-2019, 10:49 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

I had my 2004 C5 Z06 for about 8 years. I had some mods done to it plus I also did some myself. I said I would not get rid of my Z. And I was not planning on it. Test drove a 18 Z06 and I liked it. Total difference between the C5 Z06 which is expected due to technology. I bought my 2019 Z in Dec 2018 and it went right into my garage parked for the winter. Sitting with 50 miles on it. Waiting on spring to unleash this beast. Don’t get me wrong I had a hard time giving up my C5z. Very attached to it. It was hard letting it go. I don’t even know yet till I drive this all summer if I made a mistake buying my Z. Yes it looks awesome and it is amazing all the stuff you can do with it. Especially switching from track mode to tour mode. I said I would never buy another black car. Well the wife loves the black and talkes me into it. Especially the deal I got since I was planning on ordering 2019 Grand Sport. But the wife said you got the car you really wanted. There is definitely a big difference when I fire this beast up in my garage much louder than my C5 Z was. I know when I drove this home totally different driving this compared to my C5. Getting use to the M7. So this summer will be the test to see if I really like my new Z or not. But if I don’t I can always sell it and get back into a C5Z06. Sorry for the long post guys. Here she sits hibernating!! This was taken before I put the cover on. Ignore the messy garage.

Last edited by ZO6 cracker; 01-26-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Did anybody buy a C5 over 6 or 7 just based on looks ?

Old 01-27-2019, 10:20 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker
Sorry for the long post guys. Here she sits hibernating!! This was taken before I put the cover on. Ignore the messy garage.
I don't know how you northerners do it. It would drive me crazy not being able to drive my toy year around due to weather. The new Z looks fantastic and while it may be a PITA to keep clean they always look amazing on any generation Vette. Buddy of mine went from a C5Z to C6Z. He said bar none the power was awesome, but he said the one thing the C6Z lacked where the C5Z was just better was through backroad twistees. While the C7Z is hands down an amazing Corvette in every aspect, I'd be curious to know if you truly feel "connected" with the road. As Corvette evolves and so does technology it just seems there will be a point where that "rawness" wears off and the car becomes so refined that you no longer feel like you are driving a sports car.

Last edited by Not4spd; 01-27-2019 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
digitaloutsider (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 03:39 PM
digitaloutsider
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I grew up looking at C5 Corvettes (I'm 30), so they always had a place in my heart. I NEVER cared for any Vette before the C5. It was the first one that caught my eye.

In my early teens I was set on owning an Electron Blue Metallic Z06 one day. I was enamored by the car, had my computer desktop wallpaper set as one for the longest time. Fast forward more than a decade and I decided I would treat myself to something sporty after years and years of owning hopped-up midsize grocery getters: Grand Prix GTPs, Altima SE-R, Lumina Z34s, Regal GSs, etc.). Briefly considered a CTS-V, but I was dead set on owning a big dumb American Miata. I started seriously looking at C6s vs C5s and I just couldn't go with a C6; the timeless design of the C5 just isn't there. I also absolutely detest the interior. Don't get me wrong, the C5 interior is complete trash when it comes to materials and construction.. but at least it looks nice.

Cue looking at C5 Z06s. Ultimately I decided that they weren't worth the premium people ask for them, and the more I thought about having a FRC, the less I liked it. I saw a Magnetic Red Metallic C5 in person and knew that was the color I wanted. Searched all over casually for a while and ended up finding a '01 Z51 MRM black interior 6-speed coupe in Tampa (I was in PA at the time). Flew to FL with a buddy, drove it home, and never looked back. I really don't particularly care for my cars getting attention, but the C5 STILL gets lots of compliments. GM had everything right in the styling department back in those days. When I get rid of the C5, I'll probably get a C7 of some sort.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:23 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Not4spd
I don't know how you northerners do it. It would drive me crazy not being able to drive my toy year around due to weather. The new Z looks fantastic and while it may be a PITA to keep clean they always look amazing on any generation Vette. Buddy of mine went from a C5Z to C6Z. He said bar none the power was awesome, but he said the one thing the C6Z lacked where the C5Z was just better was through backroad twistees. While the C7Z is hands down an amazing Corvette in every aspect, I'd be curious to know if you truly feel "connected" with the road. As Corvette evolves and so does technology it just seems there will be a point where that "rawness" wears off and the car becomes so refined that you no longer feel like you are driving a sports car.
Thank You,
yeah I won’t know how my new Z will compare till I drive it this summer. That will be the test. I will be posting my thoughts on how my Z performs with all the twisties in my area I drive on. That is one of my concerns with my new Z comparing it with my C5 Z. Just because the car is faster does not mean it is always better. I’am excited to get this out and drive it.

Quick Reply: Did anybody buy a C5 over 6 or 7 just based on looks ?