Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not unexpected but interesting

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 05:00 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I have a couple of friends that own automotive based forums and facebook is killing the online forum business. I agree with Bill, I can't wrap my head around it (the social media part) but everybody wants all the info now and since we all carry very capable computers on use at all times (our smart phones), the younger crowd finds facebook to be perfectly normal. I don't know how you would follow long build threads or long tech threads, but it is what it is. I personally can't follow the flow of facebook and I hate it.

The fact that you can also control who is on your specific facebook pages means you don't have a bunch of knuckleheads posting, etc. And since it really is pretty much as close to free as free can be, you don't have the first 5 or 6 posts of every section filled with vendors trying to sell you stuff on every page. A lot of younger people just won't accept that and see it as spam that they don't want to deal with.

A lot of vendors are also finding it is better to just post all their stuff, updates, pics, etc on their companies facebook page and they get a better response rate than what they do from the larger forums where they have to pay to be a vendor. I know a couple of small custom Viper parts manufacturers that no longer advertise on the Viper forum, etc.....just way better response and sales from their facebook page.

Very sad in my opinion.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:33 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I think Facebook offers free access to cyber friends, ands also connect to real life friends.. I notice that people like to brag about the number of friends, followers they have on social media. I guess it represents a sense of self worth ( personal gratification ). FB capitalizes on this, and of course, the more followers that get on social media, the more their email, and tracking cues can be sold . FB makes millions off of people's personal access . they have scripts that track movement, interests and purchases. The less they know about me, the happier I am.. All those spam mails emails, phone calls are brought about by information you really did not want anyone to have. even though in the legal speak, you sign away that right when you subscribe.

Bill aka ET
Old 03-22-2019, 05:39 PM
flyingmfrc
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 271 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Unmodified

I don't have a Facebook and I don't have a smart phone. I don't dislike either and I have no problem with others using them. I will choose my own communication forms. I sometimes carry a flip phone and I can talk to anybody I CHOOSE by email. I had a C4 Vette for 32 years and did not know this forum existed. I now have a C5 and enjoy using this forum daily. I hope everybody can make their own decisions on communication, and don't let the crazies bother you.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:28 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by AE Guy
I have learned more about my Corvette from the Corvette Forum (CF) than anywhere else. Even if you combined the knowledge I've gained from fellow Corvette enthusiasts at many all Corvette car shows & clubs, manuals/books, and other online websites/forums - nothing compares to the CF in my opinion. The only thing that comes close for me is YouTube, and there just aren't enough videos to compete with the knowledge of the CF veterans at this point in time. I am anti-Facebook for the reasons ET mentioned in a post far above and will have nothing to do with it, but I do visit CF at least once a day if not multiple times a day.

This forum has helped me save a ton of cash by guiding me to maintain and repair my car by myself. Long Live the CF!
There is sadly also a lot of misinformation on this forum. Example: when my rear brake lights failed, I was assured my multiple posters that it was the multi function switch that was at fault. The fact that the factory service manuals told me it was the hazard switch did not register with these people. The ONLY 100% reliable way to diagnose your C5 is with the factory manuals. I bought a set when I first bought my C5. Best investment I ever made.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:39 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Evil-Twin;1599091936 All those spam mails emails, phone calls are brought about by information you really did not want anyone to have. even though in the legal speak, you sign away that right when you subscribe.

Bill aka ET[/QUOTE]

Not really. Most (90%+) of spam phone calls are from companies using autodialers that work through all the numbers in your area in the hopes that one of their calls is answered by someone dumb enough to fall for their scams. I get a stream of calls on both my landline and cell from people whose Caller Id's claim them to be "local" callers - even showing my neighbors' names in the call id name field. You know it's definitely a scam when your own name and number appear on the caller ID display - which happens frequently.

Dealing with them is easy - have an answering machine and never answer the phone. Anyone who really wants to talk to you will leave a message. 9 out of 10 will just hang up when they hear the answerphone message.

BTW, if you receive a call with just a town name in the ID field, it is 99% likely a scammer. Real people use their names.

Last edited by jackthelad; 03-22-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:08 PM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Definitely not unexpected as these cars get older but definitely interesting to see the results. As you can see I don’t post a lot but I usually visit and read at least once a day.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:24 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I’m a Facebook user and around Bill’s age. I’m on everyday with family and friends, many reconnections from college and even elementary school. FWIW, I NEVER post from a location other than home or broadcast my plans.
There are now a few C5 groups on FB and yes, there is lots of misinformation as well as the decent people and smartasses. Since there’s no search function you won’t get the impatient trolls who would rather tell a newbie to look it up instead of just giving an answer and yes the search function on the forum is not as good as googling it.
For telephone spammers, I use NOMOROBO.COM. you sign up and any computer generated call will be one ring and then a hang up.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:49 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

I lost interest in coming to C5 general a long time ago when the new owners decided it was good idea to allow ads in it. It clutters things up and runs rampant. Why they can't just have a sub forum under each generation called "Vendors" I have no idea. I would be glad to pay an annual fee to the site just to not have to see the ads.

Am probably not alone in this sentiment, i.e. less folks generating less traffic.

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 03-23-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:29 AM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

This forum is my most used forum for information on my car being fairly new to the C5's. Between it and You Tube has guided me through some repairs and maintenance items. But, in a few Facebook C5 related groups which mostly is a fast scroll through the BS and stuff but get some useful info at times. Ditto on motorcycle groups I do. And I do check this forum several times a week to see what's happening and learn a bit more about my car and at times , help someone else with their problem. As per the rest of the Vette Forums in the internet, they are pretty much pretty dead as per entries per month much less week.
The following users liked this post:
Edmund Iverson (03-26-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 08:49 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I think Facebook offers free access to cyber friends, ands also connect to real life friends.. I notice that people like to brag about the number of friends, followers they have on social media. I guess it represents a sense of self worth ( personal gratification ). FB capitalizes on this, and of course, the more followers that get on social media, the more their email, and tracking cues can be sold . FB makes millions off of people's personal access . they have scripts that track movement, interests and purchases. The less they know about me, the happier I am.. All those spam mails emails, phone calls are brought about by information you really did not want anyone to have. even though in the legal speak, you sign away that right when you subscribe.

Bill aka ET
I agree, and that's why I won't get involved with FB.

Originally Posted by flyingmfrc
I don't have a Facebook and I don't have a smart phone. I don't dislike either and I have no problem with others using them. I will choose my own communication forms. I sometimes carry a flip phone and I can talk to anybody I CHOOSE by email. I had a C4 Vette for 32 years and did not know this forum existed. I now have a C5 and enjoy using this forum daily. I hope everybody can make their own decisions on communication, and don't let the crazies bother you.
Same here.

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
I lost interest in coming to C5 general a long time ago when the new owners decided it was good idea to allow ads in it. It clutters things up and runs rampant. Why they can't just have a sub forum under each generation called "Vendors" I have no idea. I would be glad to pay an annual fee to the site just to not have to see the ads.

Am probably not alone in this sentiment, i.e. less folks generating less traffic.
Good point. from 200-2009, my wife and I owned a Lincoln LS, and were members of the LS owners club, a private group. Dues were paid annually, and the tech info was excellent, as well as the "off topic" discussions that were somewhat similar to what we have here. Unfortunately, the car died off, and from what I understand, so did the LLSOC...….
Old 03-23-2019, 08:54 AM
ismithlj
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve been a member of this forum for at least 10 years and I rarely post anything. I’ll be honest, I belong to a lot of forums and this one (the whole forum not Just C5) has some of the rudest know it alls I’ve ever seen. If someone doesn’t know something or is wrong about something they get skewered. None of the other forums I participate in are like this one. So I mostly use it to search for info I need or read others threads. I’ve had a 63 for a long time. I got my C5 vert last year, but I never posted anything about it because I just don’t feel like getting criticism for whatever people don’t like. Just too many opinionated people here that take all the fun out of it. And you can criticize me all you want for this post, but that would only reenforce my point.

Last edited by ismithlj; 03-23-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by ismithlj
I’ve been a member of this forum for at least 10 years and I rarely post anything. I’ll be honest, I belong to a lot of forums and this one (the whole forum not Just C5) has some of the rudest know it alls I’ve ever seen. If someone doesn’t know something or is wrong about something they get skewered. None of the other forums I participate in are like this one. So I mostly use it to search for info I need or read others threads. I’ve had a 63 for a long time. I got my C5 vert last year, but I never posted anything about it because I just don’t feel like getting criticism for whatever people don’t like. Just too many opinionated people here that take all the fun out of it. And you can criticize me all you want for this post, but that would only reenforce my point.
I'm really sorry that you feel this way. I reviewed your history, you have been here 15 years.. You have posted 23 threads in that time and only one in the C5 section, you got 18 replies and not one was improper, however you were very critical about someone's C5 offering. You posted 22 threads in the C1/ C2 section and could not find the hostility you speak of.
Ive been here 18 years and as a retired Factory Corvette design engineer This forum offers the absolute best interaction and opportunity to seek and find the answers to almost anything, no matter what the generation. By and large, this forum is not filled with the hostility found in other forums, of course every forum has their distractors.
The following 5 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
chasboy (03-24-2019), Edmund Iverson (03-26-2019), leadfoot4 (03-24-2019), Mike98SilVert (03-23-2019), USAZR1 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:12 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

There is sometimes a bit of mindless criticism here, but very rare, I think. There are one or two who post on threads whether they have anything to add or not. And some who as I pointed out above, obviously consider themselves diagnostic experts when they are not. But, hey ho, that's what happens on forums - anyone can post anything.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:35 AM
C5 4 ME
Safety Car

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

I have been a member of this Forum for around 16 years. I come on here at least once a day or more. I rarely start a post but comment on some. I have done multiple mods to my Vette because of this Forum. I also go to "upcoming events" forum for things happening in my area.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:15 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

You may be just a bit sensitive. Jmho...How people react has a lot to do with a direction a thread takes. I post some little jabs here and there, maybe some you have read. It is filler, it’s like discussing things with a group of people who are completely comfortable with each other (magnified by 1,000,000) the good info will come and the filler keeps it going longer for even more people to see and post informative stuff.

If if it was all just answers, the threads would be very short and limited in information.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that’s how I feel about it.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 03-23-2019 at 11:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Forcedvert:
Edmund Iverson (03-26-2019), USAZR1 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:48 AM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

The sincere, intelligent, honest members of this forum, and others, greatly outnumber the smart asses with the snarky comments. At the same time, one has to just have a thicker skin and ignore those who feel they have to denigrate members who ask, what they consider, stupid questions. I'm a retired Philly cop and have heard all the comments and more. All of them go in one ear and out the other... Take the good comments and use them to your advantage. disregard the others as there will always be rude people no matter where you go.
I have to say that as of July 2017 I had NO knowledge of a C5. Becoming a member here has been nothing short of excellent as far as gaining knowledge.

My thanks to all of those that have taken the time to respond to my numerous questions. Couldn't do it without you...
Edmund Iverson (03-26-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:58 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
You may be just a bit sensitive. Jmho...How people react has a lot to do with a direction a thread takes. I post some little jabs here and there, maybe some you have read. It is filler, it’s like discussing things with a group of people who are completely comfortable with each other (magnified by 1,000,000) the good info will come and the filler keeps it going longer for even more people to see and post informative stuff.

If if it was all just answers, the threads would be very short and limited in information.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that’s how I feel about it.
Not to mention, lots of folks here arrive at their opinions by watching the interactions of other folks, not knowing the background. For instance, a person might look at jabs between me and a few others on the forum and think, omg, those guys are terrible! When in truth, we're just guys who know each other well and rib the hell out of each other for fun, much like locker-room talk when you were in HS. You'd never guess this might be a friend who brings their kids and stays at my home when they're in the area, or that we might travel 5 hours one way to spend a day working on each other's rides, or whatever.... Don't assume.

As to the OP observation, I'd say this had me a little surprised. C5 Gen might be low on the totem pole in numbers, but I think if you were to gauge it by substantive posts, C5 wins or is a close second to c3. I think the c5 section is way more interesting than the c6. I don't even own a c5 any more and still prefer this forum. I fit in way better here. And I avoid c7 gen like the plague. I think of c7 gen like local corvette clubs. More of a snobs get-together than car guys enjoying their cars, ALL of the cars. When it comes to C7s, I'm not sure which I like less, the cars or the owners. In the C5 section, it's all folks who put their pants on one leg at a time. Even if they also own a C7ZR1 with their C5, they're the original car guys, not the waxers.
USAZR1 (03-23-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Not unexpected but interesting

Old 03-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

This is how Ive always approached this forum.. Its a Corvette Forum, but its also a means to connect with people on a daily or weekly basis.. I always thought it would be a good idea to have a chat room here.. Much more like a social club. I try to help where I can, I like to offer insider information that you wont find in any book on the development of the C5 even the stuff I did two years before its launch, stuff that wound up on the cutting room floor.. Everyone seems to like that.
I try to inject a little humor also, I sometimes add some very mild adult humor for the laugh factor. The interaction and friendly snips as mentioned above are way different from the hostile responses a newbie may see in other forums. I think the slightly off tangent comments to a thread help keep it active and interesting., It also is a means to give alittle insight to the people we talk to here. we just had some personal pet photos here as an example. Knowing some people have a service dog has nothing to do with corvettes but it does give you a better understanding of that members life..
The following 3 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
Edmund Iverson (03-26-2019), IowaZR1 (03-23-2019), USAZR1 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 01:01 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I couldn't agree more, Bill. This site is my favorite place to hang out and interact, with lots of Corvette friends. In my nineteen years as a member, I've made many friends, some of whom keep in close contact.
Sure, we enjoy our cars but the personal interaction is just as important, to me at least.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:25 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Back to the thread topic.....

Yes, not unexpected describes the daily action in C5 general.....

Thanks for the numbers and break downs Bill....

For an older vehicle generations the banter is going to be less, especially when those cars are sold for newer versions....

That said, there is still a lot of good info available when you sift thru threads looking for ideas and answers to certain questions...

Quick Reply: Not unexpected but interesting