Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 ^ by 50%

Old 07-19-2019, 01:01 PM
HPD_Hopper
Heel & Toe

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieB
I’m not impressed with the C8. A nice C5 compared to the C8 for 70K?

As far as the appearance goes, I think they went WAY wrong.
The front is way too high, not aerodynamic looking at all.

After only 5 people in the audience at the introduction clapped,
the presenter went and hid under the car.
The C5 section is truly a marvel of the universe. Guys, the C5 isn't going to magically start going up in value lol; if anything the C5 is just going to fall more until even the cleanest of C5/C5Z's fall into the lower $20,000- maybe less. They haven't even hit "Track day beater" status yes. 90% of the C5's need to become Vette-Karts... then the value might bottom out. The C5 is a great car- but it's on the lower end of a bargain sports car; it's basically a C3/C4 corvette technologically speaking now. The C5 visually aged quite well but build quality wise... my goodness. The fit and finish on these cars is absolutely horrendous after almost 20 years. Mechanically speaking- most of these cars need a bit of a re-fresh. C6 GS and C6 Z06's are far too appealing in prices now and in the case of the C6 Z06 you are actually getting a special car- the last NA "Big cube" LS production car with a stick shift.
A mint C5 isn't even in the same solar system as a brand new C8. It's literally a apples to oranges comparison here. If offered a C8, I wouldn't be able to dump the C5 fast enough. 500hp, DCT, Mid-Rear engine vs a recycled canoe with interior panel gaps you can lose a whole roll of quarters in?

The loss of the manual is a bit of a downer but at least GM actually put a proper DCT in and not some POS torque converter automatic. The Auto in the C7Z was a joke. GM and CorvetteForums all claimed it was as fast as the PDK/DCT but honest to god that transmission would not grab gears when you needed it to on the track. A DCT is a bit dim on the street and in traffic, but quite fun in manual mode; not as involving as a true manual but still a lot of fun to grab gears like you're driving a car with a proper race transmission.

Moving the engine mid-rear was necessary for handling, cooling, and future drive-train purposes. The C7 basically used a recycled C5/C6 chassis- and while 650-750hp is great for bragging rights and drag racing, these cars really struggled to put the power down efficiently; it was way way easier to drive the C7 GS harder than the C7Z. The C8 chassis also means- potentially- an awd and/or hybrid drive-train. And I know the C5 section is miserably stubborn with AWD and electric motors (because V8 MODOR MORE SOUND NICE)- but the performance those systems open up for the Corvette would be incredible. And the fact is, the Corvette is going to need to be a hybrid sports car in the very near future- which isn't a bad thing performance wise (1000hp+ Hybrid super cars are a thing and they make mince meat out of our cars). How a car performs is more important than the exhaust sound anyways.

All in, I'm very happy with the C8. I can't wait for the higher performance versions (GS, Z06, ZR1...). If you think about it, the C8 is probably as big of a revolutionary step for Corvette as the C5 was when it came out.
The following users liked this post:
jackthelad (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 01:54 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I like the new design of the C8. I will have one someday I hope, maybe have to retire first though. I also think the new design will attract a whole new group of people into the fold, and maybe get some others back who have been absent for a while again. I plan on keeping my C5 forever also.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:24 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
I do. I actually like to take road trips with my Corvettes, so storage is important. Unless you would rather drive your SUV. Then it doesn't matter.
I would never travel in my C5, my truck is way more comfortable. To each his own.....
Old 07-19-2019, 03:26 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieB
I’m not impressed with the C8. A nice C5 compared to the C8 for 70K?

As far as the appearance goes, I think they went WAY wrong.
The front is way too high, not aerodynamic looking at all.

After only 5 people in the audience at the introduction clapped,
the presenter went and hid under the car.
How much was a new C5 20 years ago? The C8 is a much better sports car value from what I’ve seen and read so far..
The following 2 users liked this post by Forcedvert:
Not4spd (07-19-2019), rjwvetttt (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:29 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
How much was a new C5 20 years ago? The C8 is a much better sports car value from what I’ve seen and read so far..
Some just like comparing apples to oranges.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:39 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

If someone doesn’t think that car looks absolutely amazing for $60k, you’re fooling yourself. Hopefully the z06 has 750hp, and the zr1 850hp with butterfly doors.

Last edited by STRMLNE; 07-19-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Can you get a set of golf clubs in the trunk of a C8?
Yes, but sadly, I don't play golf anymore. No Corvette has more useable cargo space than a C5 coupe - I only have to rent a pick-up truck maybe once every 2 years. I am always transporting large picture frames, etc. - I can't do that with a C8, but golf clubs - no problem.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:00 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Do you work for an art gallery? I need to know more about this “always transporting large picture frames.”
Old 07-19-2019, 05:02 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

The new C8 looks awesome overall to me and I would love to add one to my garage; however...

• It would be a waste of money where I live as the streets are now too dangerous to even drive on.
• I can already feel the anxiety I would have pulling it in to the Dealership for warranty work next to all the mud-covered pick-up trucks locally - not to mention the stunned look on the tech's face with something he has never seen before.
• They priced me out of the game (after 10 new Corvettes in the past) - after some options, TTL, Insurance, etc. it would be twice what I paid for my C5 new in 2001 and I have not doubled my income since then sadly.

That said, if I had money to burn, I would be all over it!
Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Jeffmete
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
My 99 six speed vert stickered at just over $52K! Makes under 60 for the c8 a real bargain.

Last edited by Jeffmete; 07-19-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:24 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 978 Likes on 621 Posts

The C8 is the first in the current series c5,6,7 that i would consider buying a base model. What a huge jump all around.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:23 PM
Carmine97
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 47 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

The C8 has too many edges. I like curves.

It's a cool car to be certain but it does appear to take away one important feature of my C5 - The ability, when cruising, to rest my right hand, lightly, upon milady's knee.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:29 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by carmine97
the c8 has too many edges. I like curves.

It's a cool car to be certain but it does appear to take away one important feature of my c5 - the ability, when cruising, to rest my right hand, lightly, upon milady's knee.
😂😂😂😂😂
Old 07-19-2019, 06:44 PM
BobbyC5
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the C8 quite a bit. More than I liked the C7 when it came out. I don't see it having a lot of effect on C5 prices though.
As far as comparing the two, they are very different vehicles, and a comparison doesn't make much sense.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:22 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffmete
My 99 six speed vert stickered at just over $52K! Makes under 60 for the c8 a real bargain.
I'll second you on the price of a '99. I have the window sticker for my '99 6m vert. Same ball park price as yours. I'm frankly amazed that GM can put out the C8, even though a base model, for the price they have quoted.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:30 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 810 Likes on 430 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

I LOVE my Twin Turbo C5. It was my first Corvette, and I missed it so bad after selling it that I ended up buying it back about 4 1/2 years later. That said..........I'm already contemplating parting with it in 1-2 years and going C8. I loved almost everything of what I saw last night.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:12 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Fastbird
I LOVE my Twin Turbo C5. It was my first Corvette, and I missed it so bad after selling it that I ended up buying it back about 4 1/2 years later. That said..........I'm already contemplating parting with it in 1-2 years and going C8. I loved almost everything of what I saw last night.
I'm right there with you, I love mine but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get on the GM site and look at all the different options lol..
I want to see how the trim levels, pricing, tuning workarounds, warranty repairs, etc., pan out but I'm excited to see how it goes... if that all goes well and depending where I am in a few years I just might get rid of the old c5z
Forcedvert (07-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C5 ^ by 50%

Old 07-19-2019, 08:26 PM
TinkersVet
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

The C 8 will be just as timeless in 20 years as my 98 is now and my 66s were in their time. Some will like them some will not, but they are all Corvettes. JR-01-- I presume you never took a trip in a 66 vert with the top down and believed you could take lots of luggage with you for a 2 week trip along the east coast, not possible! But we enjoyed many trips in mine just pack light, and NO golf clubs fit in it unless you folded them and left the bag at home. My 98 coupe trips well with lots of room compared to the 66. The C8 has me thinking about all the good things, storage both front and rear,so that means top off and still have place to put luggage. Although I know many never take the top off the classic or get it wet, mine has been in the rain with the top off after all it is twenty years old has not melted and still looks like it rolled off the showroom floor, just over 66k and well loved miles.The price of under 60k may just make a place in my garage right beside my 98.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:58 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

What we have seen is impressive but what we haven't seen is what owners think of them.
We haven't seen any potential down-sides and every car has them.
What will it be like to work on or have it worked on after the warranty.
For instance: Would you have to drop the entire rear suspension and engine to change engine accessories or spark plugs?
How hard would it be to change the alternator etc...
I haven't heard any news about a convertible option.
laurent_zo6 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 08:42 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

OK, so I've spent the last day looking at a ton of pics of the new C8 and this where I am on this. Just personal opinion of course and not trying to sway anyone. For my eyes, the side view is really appealing. I do not care for the rear end at all. The front shots are doing better than the rear but not by much. What is going on with all the egg crate treatments? Overdone I think. Just plain do not care for the interior layout, It looks awfully cramped. Maybe some of my feelings will change when I have a chance to see the C8 in person.. Maybe younger Corvette enthusiasts see it differently but I'm 69 and maybe not as attuned to the radical change as younger folks. Once again I must say that I'm mystified on how GM can offer the C8 starting in the 60K range. As I mentioned above in an earlier post my '99 6m vert was in the low 50's in 1999. When you figure in 20 years of the dollar having lost about 40% of its value from around year 2000 to the present, around 2% per year, I would think the base price would be substantially higher. Anyway, just the musings and thoughts of an older Corvette enthusiast. Best wishes to all!
Rob 02 (07-20-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 ^ by 50%