Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 01:46 PM
RichSilvestris
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Follow-up on the antenna issue.
I tried Joying's suggestion and hooked the amp control to the accessory wire. No dice. It had been the same for the antenna control wire.
I decided to see if the OEM radio worked again before responding to Joying customer service. When I hooked it up the volume was low, the antenna did not go up and there was a hiss coming out of the woofers. I quit for the night dejected. I figured I had screwed up the Bose signal processor.
Went back out at lunch today and re-checked all the fuses. They looked okay. Then I decided to swap the Bose relay with the defogger relay; they are the same item. Tried the OEM radio again and it was the same result, but I had the radio out on the console as I had done with the Joying...and Tesla spoke from the grave.... "ground the case, dumba$$".... all better.
So I hooked up the Joying and got ready to ground its case. I turned the key before grounding for comparison. The antenna went up and the sound came out of the speakers just fine.
Then I tested the Axxess amp control hooked up to the Joying antenna control, and that worked. I moved it to the Joying amp control and that worked too.
For all three outputs, the antenna is up whenever the key is turned. As I understand from my reading, this is a limitation of the head unit. I will figure out a hack for that,
and I am getting a new relay tonight.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (08-07-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 02:31 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,031 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm462
Are you talking on the unit itself behind the screen and below the AC duct and not on the dash?
Sorry I didn't respond to you yet on this... I finally took a picture to show my GPS antenna location. Naturally you can't really see it because it's obscured by the radio cage. It slips in nicely to that location from the back/top of the radio cage, and you can see how I coiled the excess wire for it as well.

I appreciate all the work you've put into this and I'm close to opting in on this purchase including the 3-D ****. My big hold-up is where I could install this. I really don't want to remove my adjustable magnetic-shock control.
Another member has a similar concern, but sounds like he's planning to delete his mag ride suspension.
Only other place I can think of is on the center console/radio bezel itself, between the shifter and traction control bezel, on the right side. There may be a flat enough spot and it should be empty underneath there. Just means modification to the radio bezel, which isn't my preference (it's a more expensive item compared to the traction control bezel).

Originally Posted by chevyorange
I see a cottage industry that may just pay for some extra 92 octane or beer!!
Perhaps so! Sadly no 92, we only get 91 here (also for the record, I may be too young for the "cottage industry" reference, so I had to look it up, haha)
I'm definitely not looking to make a 2nd job out of this, already have one of those as a contractor and I guarantee this project yields me a substantially lower hourly rate. Point being: I'm not really doing it for the money, but for the community.

Last edited by MetalMan2; 08-05-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:01 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalMan2
Sorry I didn't respond to you yet on this... I finally took a picture to show my GPS antenna location. Naturally you can't really see it because it's obscured by the radio cage. It slips in nicely to that location from the back/top of the radio cage, and you can see how I coiled the excess wire for it as well.

Another member has a similar concern, but sounds like he's planning to delete his mag ride suspension.
Only other place I can think of is on the center console/radio bezel itself, between the shifter and traction control bezel, on the right side. There may be a flat enough spot and it should be empty underneath there. Just means modification to the radio bezel, which isn't my preference (it's a more expensive item compared to the traction control bezel).

No problem...appreciate the info...yes, that's about where I thought you meant on the GPS antenna. My radio bezel is hydro-coated so I won't be doing any modifying to that. If you would please go ahead and put me down for one with the **** if you don't mind. If anything I'll put it in the center console storage box or maybe where the ashtray is under the radio.
philip76 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 11:18 PM
BradJohnson22
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had never heard of Joying, so I went with a known name; I found this Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX on Amazon and it came XM ready, with Bluetooth, HD radio, a back-up camera, built-in Alexa and a remote control. Works with both Apple CarPlay, Android Auto (i have 1 Android and 1 iPhone synced). Since I'm not mechanically inclined, I bit the bullet and paid for the installation. Having Ford Sync in my company car, it made the screen a must for my weekend touring car.

jjanow (08-06-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 01:35 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Got the back-up camera working. Now comes the fun part...routing the cable from the front to back of the car.

Ltemple (08-08-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 07:54 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

How did everyone get the coax cable out to the rear license plate area? Drill a hole through the rear tub?
Old 08-07-2020, 07:59 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

How did everyone get the coax cable out to the rear license plate area? Drill a hole through the rear tub?
That's what a PO did on my car... so I just ran my new camera's cable through the same spot. I may squirt some RTV in there for good measure.
rpm462 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 11:26 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

That's what a PO did on my car... so I just ran my new camera's cable through the same spot. I may squirt some RTV in there for good measure.
Me too but close to the existing wiring harness for the tail lamps so that I could run the wire along the same loom path as the tail lamp loom. I know it’s all still hidden, but I know it’s secure
rpm462 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 11:27 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Default Sound quality

I’m still playing with the EQ options but the rig just doesn’t seem to have the same low end punch as it did with the stock HU.

How is everyone else’s sound quality?
Old 08-08-2020, 02:40 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WIC7Diver
I’m still playing with the EQ options but the rig just doesn’t seem to have the same low end punch as it did with the stock HU.

You're using the Axxess? Did you crank up the the controls on the Axxess all the way? That's what I ended up doing, sounds pretty good. But I never had a stock HU to compare with.
ArmchairArchitect (08-09-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 02:58 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Default Sound Quality - Low End Response

Originally Posted by WIC7Diver

@WIC7Diver I take it you are using either the PAC ROEM-VET1 or the AXXESS XSVI-2004. If yes, read below:

I don't know if the Joying unit has a dedicated subwoofer output. If it does, you have to disable it. In addition to that, you can't apply any high pass filtering to the main 4 channels: they have to run as "full range".

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by GCG; 08-08-2020 at 03:02 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (08-09-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 05:33 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

You're using the Axxess? Did you crank up the the controls on the Axxess all the way? That's what I ended up doing, sounds pretty good. But I never had a stock HU to compare with.
Yes, I’m using the Axxess interface and the controls are likely culprit. I’ll pull the unit and adjust to see if that improves. Thanks to everyone for the quick feedback.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:23 PM
JoeJ
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Has anyone hooked a separate amp and sub up to this HU, and how did you do it?
Old 08-09-2020, 01:59 PM
appliance guy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeJ
if you mean aftermarket, not utilizing the Bose system, I'm getting ready to do that shortly . Just got all my equipment.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:47 PM
JoeJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by appliance guy
if you mean aftermarket, not utilizing the Bose system, I'm getting ready to do that shortly . Just got all my equipment.

Yes aftermarket. I believe I used the Pac Audio AOEM- Vet 1 on the install at the time. Trying to figure out what I need to install this head unit. I was looking at the Axxess interface, but not sure if that was correct?
Old 08-09-2020, 05:03 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

If you're doing a full aftermarket sound system (amps(s) + speakers) you won't use most of the features of the Axxess. Like most aftermarket head units, the Joying has RCA connections to hook up to aftermarket amplifiers. You wouldn't even use the bigger box from the Axxess kit (as that is intended to be used with factory wiring and Bose amps). However, you could definitely still use the smaller box from the Axxess kit to retain RAP.
The following 2 users liked this post by MetalMan2:
chevyorange (08-11-2020), philip76 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 09:26 PM
rivano54
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Annoying problems with the Joying

I picked up my '01 when I was traveling in Nevada and wanted to enjoy a good radio system during my 24 days road trip back home in Maryland. So I got a local audio shop to do the installation for me of the head unit and the rear camera. They got the wiring right, but used an aftermarket bracket to install it in front of the bezel. I will try the rooting and resizing process to install it under the bezel, but for now I have three more immediate priority issues.
One, the FM radio function worked well for a while but then it stopped working. Now I get no sound out at all (but bluetooth function works well so I can hear music streamed from my phone).
Two, in order to use CarPlay I have to have the Joying connected to both bluetooth and wifi on my iPhone. This is very annoying because I cannot access the internet directly on my phone (e.g. with the many apps that do not show on the two Z-link screens). Also when I access the Sirius XM icon on the Z-link screen I see none of my past or favorite channels.
Three, the digital volume control is a pain to use. And it is not available at all in CarPlay (using Z-link). To access it, say when using Waze in CarPlay, you have to back through at least two or three screens, then open the volume control on the top right, then adjust it to the desired setting, then go back through multiple screens to Waze! Silly!
Fourth, I need to reprogram the key fob, but to do that it is necessary to power off the radio. Well, the Joying unit does not have a power on/off control, at least not one that I could find!

Can anyone help me address these problems?

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Old 08-11-2020, 09:57 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

...I believe I used the Pac Audio AOEM- Vet 1 on the install at the time...
@JoeJ Hey, Joe! I got your PM, but I'm answering here in case it might help someone else in the future.

You told me that, using a PAC AOEM-VET1, you supplemented the OEM Bose system with a 10" external subwoofer driven by a Kenwood amp.

Now you want to upgrade the headunit, keeping your current infrastructure. Yes, that's perfectly doable, but you would have to change the adapting interface.

The PAC AOEM-VET1 is used with the OEM headunit to provide front and rear Full Range Pre-Amp Outputs. This is achieved by inserting the device in-line with the OEM C4 Connector (see picture below). Since aftermarket headunits lack the C4 Connector, it can only be used with the OEM headunit. When adding an external subwoofer, as you did, the AOEM-VET1's rear outputs are usually used to connect a subwoofer amp, but since the signals are full range, a Low-Pass Filter is required.

To interface between an aftermarket headunit and the OEM Bose infrastructure you'll need to use the PAC ROEM-VET1. The device itself is the same, but its harnesses and connectors are different. I don't know if they are separately available, but it will probably be cheaper just to buy a whole unit anyway.

The ROEM-VET1 connects to the aftermarket headunit and provides connectors C1/C2 and C4 to properly interface with the OEM Bose infrastructure (see picture below). In addition to that, it also provide a Full Range Pre-Amp output that can be used to connect a subwoofer amp (again, a Low-Pass filter is required).

Let me know if you need any further details

Last edited by GCG; 08-11-2020 at 07:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GCG:
chevyorange (08-11-2020), roegs (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 10:18 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,918 Likes on 1,616 Posts

What is the weight savings between this Android unit and the stock head unit?
Old 08-11-2020, 10:26 AM
JoeJ
Instructor

Thanks for the excellent information. The only question I would ask, is there a clean way to do it with the Axxess interface? I would like to have the RAP feature.

Quick Reply: FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)