Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 09:15 AM
rtdder
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has the Joying 1.5 DIN for the C5 been discontinued?
Thanks/ Bob
Old 09-28-2021, 09:18 AM
FieroVin
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rtdder
Thanks/ Bob
This is the one I just ordered recently.

Joying 8.8 Inch Single Din Android Auto Carplay Car Radio Head Unit Support 4G Internet (joyingauto.com)
Old 09-28-2021, 11:31 AM
BRKLYN
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Looks great, wasn’t a fan of that new stuff, but if caught with phone in hand you could get fined. How difficult is that install? I would imagine wiring connectors are available, 1-9 I’m somewhat knowledgeable and mechanically inclined. Again nice and share the link where I can view it. Guys can also share the links of similar units.
Ty
Old 09-28-2021, 12:29 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Removed the factory head unit and speakers due to high level distortions and sadly aged 90's technology.
Replaced the head unit with a Sony DSX m80 and can't be happier.
It's literally plug and play Bluetooth, hands free Phone and voice activation with Sony quality. It has computer enhanced spacial surround sound EQ settings which really help in a convertible for sound and It automatically pares to my phone hands free Voice activation and handles all Pandora Spotify etc.
https://www.sony.com/lr/electronics/marine/dsx-m80
Old 09-30-2021, 05:59 AM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Still available

Originally Posted by rtdder
Thanks/ Bob
Below is the JY-HQS01N4G-1. There's also the JY-HQS01N4G-2.
Joying Android 10.0 Car Radio for 8.8" Single Din support 5GHz WiFi (joyingauto.com)

The install takes some time but isn't that difficult. Patience and time are needed.
Very pleased with the upgrade which the car really needs to get up to date on tech.

Last edited by JWingo; 09-30-2021 at 06:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ltemple (10-07-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 06:24 AM
JWingo
Pro

Originally Posted by FieroVin
Thanks for the reply.

I got the harness wired up yesterday and it seems like everything is working. I haven't done anything with the backup camera yet though.

I guess with this type of system, the "radio" is never really off, so the antenna will always be up if the car is on... Unless doing the type of modification you mentioned above.

Did a little test fitting and bezel modification yesterday too. Getting all that stuff in there from the Axxess etc looks like a fun time. 🤣

I updated the Joying unit with the latest firmware to enable wireless Android auto and that seemed to work great once I figured out how to reboot the unit.

I was playing with the Agama launcher and the on screen volume control doesn't work. Does anyone know if that's a setting somewhere?

Thanks again and this is a great thread, thanks to the pioneers who did all the leg work and testing.

Vin
The volume doesn't integrate. The best app I could find that will integrate all but the volume is "Power amp".
Poweramp Equalizer - Apps on Google Play
It integrates very well showing the album or song playing in the center and it will continue to play while I do something else. Multi-task.
I also used the Axxess unit. I used some industrial strength Velcro and stuck both units to the top of the radio opening. Used Velcro, then used 2 small tie straps to secure it even better. Just above the head unit. Set the Axxess gain level to 50%.

There are many settings for Agma launcher. One is to show or hide the top taskbar where the reboot, etc can be found.
I also did modify the factory Bezel. Opened it up enough to show the screen. Used a small strip of "D shape" weather stripping to close the sides back to the face.
Amazon.com: HOTSYSTEM D-Shape Door Rubber Seal Strip Weatherstrip 3M Self Adhesive Hollow for Car Truck Motor Door Cover Trunk (Black, 26.25 feet) : Automotive Amazon.com: HOTSYSTEM D-Shape Door Rubber Seal Strip Weatherstrip 3M Self Adhesive Hollow for Car Truck Motor Door Cover Trunk (Black, 26.25 feet) : Automotive
I think it looks great. Closed the gap back up and you want even know it's there.

FieroVin (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 09:43 AM
FieroVin
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply... So aside from installing a physical volume ****, has anyone found anything to make it a little easier to get to the on-screen volume control?

Another thing I was wondering about is the "Car Info"... Should the Axxess interface be providing any of the can bus information to the head unit or is that not an option in the C5? I'm just wondering if that should work or if I did something wrong. There was one small white plug from the original head unit that I didn't plug into anything and not sure what it was for.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:59 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,918 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Thanks for the reply... So aside from installing a physical volume ****, has anyone found anything to make it a little easier to get to the on-screen volume control?

Another thing I was wondering about is the "Car Info"... Should the Axxess interface be providing any of the can bus information to the head unit or is that not an option in the C5? I'm just wondering if that should work or if I did something wrong. There was one small white plug from the original head unit that I didn't plug into anything and not sure what it was for.
So what I do is I keep my phone wedged between the driver's seat and center console, and use my phone's volume buttons to quickly/easily control the volume playing through the head unit. Obviously this only works for audio sourced from phone to head unit (ie. bluetooth), but that's 99% of the audio I use on it.

There are also some 3rd party apps that always keep a volume control visible on the screen no matter what app you're in. But the downside is that it's always visible.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-30-2021 at 02:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ArmchairArchitect:
FieroVin (10-01-2021), JWingo (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 05:46 AM
JWingo
Pro

I use this. It's responsive and works well. I also see there are some on Amazon, that could be put on the center console. They're just like the one in the link below but are flat on the back. I also found the one listed below will fit the parking brake handle. If you don't want it on the steering wheel.
Amazon.com: Car Steering Wheel Control DVD Button Universal Wireless Android GPS Navigation Car Steering Wheel Remote Control Buttons (05) : Automotive Amazon.com: Car Steering Wheel Control DVD Button Universal Wireless Android GPS Navigation Car Steering Wheel Remote Control Buttons (05) : Automotive

Last edited by JWingo; 10-01-2021 at 05:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JWingo:
ArmchairArchitect (10-01-2021), FieroVin (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 11:49 AM
C5MSG2004Vert
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 275 Posts

Access doesn't send any info to the radio via the bus. The plug is not used with the axcess so you can ignore it.
The following 2 users liked this post by C5MSG2004Vert:
FieroVin (10-01-2021), JWingo (10-03-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 02:12 PM
Hero Danny
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I just spent 5 hours reading literally every single post from this thread... I just got my corvette re-tuned and now that it's running better than ever I want to go ahead and upgrade the radio.

During my read I opened Microsoft word and C+P every post/comment that I found relevant and placed it in there... it's 10 pages long (hah!).

Anyway, I'm going to tackle this soon, i'm still in my "research" phase but thanks to this thread I believe I am very close now to pulling the trigger... A few things to note I believe I am going to order the following...
  • JY-HQS01N4G-1 (I have to as the original one is discontinued).
  • Also going with the axxess module (I really don't know why anyone would go for the PAC... it's $20 come on guys it's a corvette not a cobalt, quit being cheap lol).
  • I'm going to go with a front facing camera at the bumper as well as a rear license plate reverse camera. (will help with parking... I think I'm going to get the Beat-Sonic CS3EP front camera selector that someone else here recommended).
  • I will fabricate some sort of volume **** with the arduino if possible... I understand that Metalman isn't making anymore... i'll just have to figure it out myself... or possibly convince him somehow... everyone has a $ right??
  • I also might integrate my rear mirror visor with a dash cam setup. something like this: https://amzn.to/3mwBcA2 I believe that would be awesome to have a camera view instead of the mirror... I bought one for my sister's accord and it works nice. I think i'll get one for myself too plus the dash cam feature is certainly nice to have!
  • I considered swapping to a C6 steering wheel for volume controls (I won't be doing the **** if I can figure that one out).
When I do decide to do the install I will take pics and make a video and do my best to explain everything to help out others as well.. You all gave me the foundation to do this it only seems right to pay back the community.

Thanks!

Edit: I actually do have a few questions I hope you guys can answer... please forgive me if these questions are stupid.

1. Should you disconnect the battery before doing this install? (obvious answer is yes but my tune has to "relearn" every time I disconnect the battery so if it can be avoided then that would be nice)
2. If I do disconnect my battery at any point after the install is done (and it's been rooted) will it possibly lose all configs and default back to factory? (obvious answer is no, but then again I have no experience with these android systems).
3. For the Beat-Sonic CS3EP camera switcher it allows you to switch between the rear and front camera... problem is the rear is triggered by putting the car in reverse... so when you're in 1st gear pulling into a parking space and you try to use the front facing camera, how can you trigger this? @RichSilvestris

Last edited by Hero Danny; 10-07-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:51 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Hero Danny
Edit: I actually do have a few questions I hope you guys can answer... please forgive me if these questions are stupid.

1. Should you disconnect the battery before doing this install? (obvious answer is yes but my tune has to "relearn" every time I disconnect the battery so if it can be avoided then that would be nice)
2. If I do disconnect my battery at any point after the install is done (and it's been rooted) will it possibly lose all configs and default back to factory? (obvious answer is no, but then again I have no experience with these android systems).
3. For the Beat-Sonic CS3EP camera switcher it allows you to switch between the rear and front camera... problem is the rear is triggered by putting the car in reverse... so when you're in 1st gear pulling into a parking space and you try to use the front facing camera, how can you trigger this? @RichSilvestris
@Hero Danny
1. For the standard install which is just plugging into the factory harnesses, no need to disconnect battery. Same for wiring up backup camera to reverse lights. If you're doing anything beyond this, may be safer to disconnect the battery.
2. The Android head unit has memory, so when power is off it doesnt affect it. In fact, the power is cut off to it each time the car is parked. Same as like when you remove the battery from your phone, the data/configs on it doesn't get erased.
3. Instead of wiring the camera(s) to the reverse lights, you can wire them to a separate switch that you place in the cabin. That way the switch will serve as the "trigger", not the power from the reverse lights.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 10-08-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Hero Danny (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 11:11 AM
Centerline1932
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

Metalman isn't making the volume control ***** anymore because the administrators of this forum decided he needed to become a vendor. All he was doing was helping the community with a specific problem and he wasn't really making any money. Just doing it to help others out. It's a shame because anyone who installs a Joying can certainly use one of his volume control units, but that's the way it is. I think I got his last one. He told me it wasn't worth his time to do one-offs so chances are slim that he'll do anymore. Its a shame though....
The following 3 users liked this post by Centerline1932:
Hero Danny (10-08-2021), JWingo (10-09-2021), MetalMan2 (10-11-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 11:19 AM
Hero Danny
Advanced

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
@Hero Danny
1. For the standard install which is just plugging into the factory harnesses, no need to disconnect battery. Same for wiring up backup camera to reverse lights. If you're doing anything beyond this, may be safer to disconnect the battery.
2. The Android head unit has memory, so when power is off it doesnt affect it. In fact, the power is cut off to it each time the car is parked. Same as like when you remove the battery from your phone, the data/configs on it doesn't get erased.
3. Instead of wiring the camera(s) to the reverse lights, you can wire them to a separate switch that you place in the cabin. That way the switch will serve as the "trigger", not the power from the reverse lights.

Thank you! As for #3: I still would want the reverse to trigger the camera if possible so I don't have to bother with a switch every time... just when pulling into a space... hmm maybe i'll just forgo the front cam and stick with a rear... hmm decisions...decisions!

edit: actually I just realized if you plug in the speed sensor it will automatically switch it to the front camera.. so now begs the question... where's the speed sensor on the vette? Time to do some digging!

Last edited by Hero Danny; 10-08-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:21 AM
Hero Danny
Advanced

Originally Posted by Centerline1932
Metalman isn't making the volume control ***** anymore because the administrators of this forum decided he needed to become a vendor. All he was doing was helping the community with a specific problem and he wasn't really making any money. Just doing it to help others out. It's a shame because anyone who installs a Joying can certainly use one of his volume control units, but that's the way it is. I think I got his last one. He told me it wasn't worth his time to do one-offs so chances are slim that he'll do anymore. Its a shame though....
Wow.... that's super unfortunate... I'll just keep my opinion to myself on this one to avoid getting a potential ban. I do agree with everything you said though.

What came with the **** anyway? I can probably do the **** myself it's the arduino I wasn't sure about... he said he spent like 30 hours on it... not sure I want to emulate that myself. Might just have to go with joying volume **** and gut the thing myself like others here were talking about.
MetalMan2 (10-11-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Hero Danny
Advanced

So... I have 2 options in regards to a front facing camera and rear facing camera. I could wire the speed sensor trigger wire into the speed senor (which is apparently on top of the differential) OR I can put it into constant power and put a manual switch in between that... see diagram.

Old 10-08-2021, 06:17 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

So... I have 2 options in regards to a front facing camera and rear facing camera. I could wire the speed sensor trigger wire into the speed senor (which is apparently on top of the differential) OR I can put it into constant power and put a manual switch in between that... see diagram.
Does the speed sensor only get power when the car is moving? I assume you want front camera running when stopped as well. Not to mention youll want the option of turning the front camera off so that you can access the head unit's other functions (the camera takes over and displays full screen on the Joying once triggered).

The manual switch makes more sense to me.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 10-08-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Hero Danny (10-09-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Old 10-08-2021, 11:48 PM
mran1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Im doing this same install but im gonna dumb this down ALOT. i plan on installing the front camera on a switch going through the same backup video line in as the rear camera via a simple rca y adaptor. The video display toggles On when a signal is detected so the front will be controlled by a simple switch and The rear will work the same but wired into the reverse lights. Thats the plan anyway. Still waiting on my headunit and will test once jt arrives.

Last edited by mran1; 10-08-2021 at 11:55 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mran1:
ArmchairArchitect (10-10-2021), Hero Danny (10-09-2021), JWingo (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 04:28 PM
RichSilvestris
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Hero Danny
Pressing the Beat-Sonic selector button triggers the front camera for about 10 seconds no matter what gear you are in, and then it resets. The rear camera triggers when you shift into reverse and stays on as long as you are in reverse. (Yes, the selector button overrides the backup camera in reverse.)
I think if you choose to use the VSS trigger for the front camera, it triggers automatically at below ~8 MPH forward. I did not go with the VSS method because it meant finding the right wire. I had thought I was done with the Joying install many times before I was actually successful, so one more wire felt like one too many.
Best of luck with your install!
Rich
The following 2 users liked this post by RichSilvestris:
Hero Danny (10-09-2021), MikeGrumbles (11-07-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 10:16 PM
Hero Danny
Advanced

Originally Posted by mran1
Im doing this same install but im gonna dumb this down ALOT. i plan on installing the front camera on a switch going through the same backup video line in as the rear camera via a simple rca y adaptor. The video display toggles On when a signal is detected so the front will be controlled by a simple switch and The rear will work the same but wired into the reverse lights. Thats the plan anyway. Still waiting on my headunit and will test once jt arrives.
Well there we have it, that sounds way better than my way hahaha I think i'll copy that idea

Quick Reply: FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)