[Z06] Got my first speeding ticket.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:19 AM
WisconsinVETTE
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Got my first speeding ticket.

1st in the vette :rolleyes: 61 in a 45. I was about 100 yards from where it turns to 55. First time I was caught speeding in about 3 years. 3rd time ever. I wish I had the luck of some of you guys who get off with a warning.

[Modified by WisconsinVETTE, 9:19 AM 4/15/2004]
Old 04-15-2004, 10:51 AM
z06vetteman
Racer

Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket. (WisconsinVETTE)

you can usually get your first ticket off with just paying the fine and it wont go on your record.

the very next thing to do is but a Valantine 1 radar detector. Mine has saved me at least 100 times in the last 3 years, sometimes you honestly dont know your speeding until that thing goes off. best 400$ I ever spent, very well made and really works.

Mark
Old 04-15-2004, 11:15 AM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

:cry :cry :cry
Old 04-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Ruby6spd
Melting Slicks

I got my second one in 11 years last month -- to the tune of 172 big ones!!!!!!

Not in the vette though
Old 04-15-2004, 11:43 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket. (Ruby6spd)

I got my second one in 11 years last month -- to the tune of 172 big ones!!!!!!
Unfortunately, tickets have become such a revenue generator that it's debatable which is more important - the $$ or the purported underlying safety issue.... Oh well.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:13 PM
zo6fun
Instructor

Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket. (wamara)

the $$ or the purported underlying safety issue.... Oh well.
After watching trash fly out of the top of a city trash truck on the highway this morning with a FL state patrol not too far behind... I think it probably has more to do with the $$ issue. And I'm not talking about little pieces of paper... I'm talking about bags of trash blowing out the rear and all over the highway. Oh well... puts into perspective me getting pulled over for 45 in a 45 last week. [Insert sarcasm here] You see, I wasn't driving too fast, no... no... I was doing somthing MUCH worse. My "tint" was too dark!!! OH NO!!! [End Sarcasm Here]. He gave me a $63 ticket for it. Oh well, I got my jabs in and took 10 minutes to sign the ticket (I wasn't in a hurry). I read the whole thing front to back S-L-O-W-L-Y!. He was tapping his foot as he stood there and waited for me to read it. LMAO I'm always respectful but when he came back with his ticket book to write me a tickt for "tint", then I had to give him my piece of mind. Funny to watch him "peel out" right after I was done... he hated having to stand there that long. Think I will do that ALOT more often from now on... hee hee
:lol: :smash:
Old 04-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket. (zo6fun)

the $$ or the purported underlying safety issue.... Oh well.

After watching trash fly out of the top of a city trash truck on the highway this morning with a FL state patrol not too far behind... I think it probably has more to do with the $$ issue. And I'm not talking about little pieces of paper... I'm talking about bags of trash blowing out the rear and all over the highway. Oh well... puts into perspective me getting pulled over for 45 in a 45 last week. [Insert sarcasm here] You see, I wasn't driving too fast, no... no... I was doing somthing MUCH worse. My "tint" was too dark!!! OH NO!!! [End Sarcasm Here]. He gave me a $63 ticket for it. Oh well, I got my jabs in and took 10 minutes to sign the ticket (I wasn't in a hurry). I read the whole thing front to back S-L-O-W-L-Y!. He was tapping his foot as he stood there and waited for me to read it. LMAO I'm always respectful but when he came back with his ticket book to write me a tickt for "tint", then I had to give him my piece of mind. Funny to watch him "peel out" right after I was done... he hated having to stand there that long. Think I will do that ALOT more often from now on... hee hee
:lol: :smash:
This is too funny. I think it's a tactic that we should all adopt. If they're going to stop us for stupid crap, make them stand there while we read the ticket front to back. Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to ask for explanation along the way. The more of their time we take, the less they have to generate revenue with someone else.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:04 PM
ZO6Lee
Advanced

Don’t know if it’s true but this is what I herd. If you plead guilty by mail, they send you the amount owed back in a few weeks. What ever the amount is overpay it by about Ten Dollars or so. When the amount is entered into the computer it’s put off to the side because of the overpayment, thus it never gets released to general inquiries like insurance computers or the Everyday computers that track each and everything we do.

:thumbs: :blueangel: :blueangel: :thumbs:
Old 04-15-2004, 03:12 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

[QUOTE] I got my jabs in and took 10 minutes to sign the ticket (I wasn't in a hurry). I read the whole thing front to back S-L-O-W-L-Y!. He was tapping his foot as he stood there and waited for me to read it. LMAO /QUOTE]

:lol: Very clever !
Old 04-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Vegasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket. (wamara)

Radar detector might be a good investment. :D
Old 04-15-2004, 07:53 PM
pk2401
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Tickets suck. That's why I got a V1. Too funny z06fun. :lolg:
Old 04-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

You see, I wasn't driving too fast, no... no... I was doing somthing MUCH worse. My "tint" was too dark!!! OH NO!!! [End Sarcasm Here]. He gave me a $63 ticket for it. Oh well, I got my jabs in and took 10 minutes to sign the ticket (I wasn't in a hurry). I read the whole thing front to back S-L-O-W-L-Y!. He was tapping his foot as he stood there and waited for me to read it. LMAO

While I don't know how dark your tint is, I do know that some people have very dark tint. This becomes a safety issue for officers on the streets. When they approach a car, they are trying to see the occupants and their hands. Many an Officer have been killed in the line of duty because they didn't see the gun the occupants were holding. Thus the tint law was born.

Don't take out your dislike for vehicle laws out on the police. They are just doing their job and didn't make the laws. Remember we are supposed to know the vehicle law before we get in our cars. If anyone feels they were unjustly stopped and given a ticket, take the issue to court.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:35 PM
WisconsinVETTE
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket. (Vegasr)

Radar detector might be a good investment. :D
I dont speed very often. This is my 2nd ticket in over 10 years. So I have spent about $300. Over 10 years I would have spent more buying and upgrading radar detectors. Now If I get a few more tickets then I will say I should have had a radar detector :lol:
Old 04-16-2004, 05:35 PM
RJTaylor
Intermediate

Sorry to hear about the ticket.

I've been told that if you get the dreaded flashing lights behind you, you need to pull over promptly, turn off your radio, roll your windows down (assuming it's not raining), and keep your hands on top of the steering wheel to let the officer know that you're not a threat. (It also helps to be polite.) I was pulled over a while back for slightly speeding in a 45 mph zone and having no front license plate, but I still got off with a warning.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket. (Shylor)

You see, I wasn't driving too fast, no... no... I was doing somthing MUCH worse. My "tint" was too dark!!! OH NO!!! [End Sarcasm Here]. He gave me a $63 ticket for it. Oh well, I got my jabs in and took 10 minutes to sign the ticket (I wasn't in a hurry). I read the whole thing front to back S-L-O-W-L-Y!. He was tapping his foot as he stood there and waited for me to read it. LMAO

While I don't know how dark your tint is, I do know that some people have very dark tint. This becomes a safety issue for officers on the streets. When they approach a car, they are trying to see the occupants and their hands. Many an Officer have been killed in the line of duty because they didn't see the gun the occupants were holding. Thus the tint law was born.

Don't take out your dislike for vehicle laws out on the police. They are just doing their job and didn't make the laws. Remember we are supposed to know the vehicle law before we get in our cars. If anyone feels they were unjustly stopped and given a ticket, take the issue to court.
With all due respect, I see your point, but disagree to some extent. Here in Ga. it gets hotter than Haties and my Truck (or car) sit for 12 hours in the full sun while I work. I have window tint to protect my investment. No I would not compare this to the Value of an Officers life. But they know what the job is when they take it. And the Tint laws are for revenue just like evrything else the Government does.

Any time I have been stopped I have rolled down the windows and put both hands on the wheel told the officer I have a sidearm in the car and comply with everything they ask. Two of my best friends are NYC cops for approx 20 years each, neither has ever written a ticket for TINT.

Even after complying I have been asked "where you from" "no before that", and "what kind of name is that" My reply a last name. I guess Gonzalez sounded a little foreign to him. FYI my family is from Spain in Europe, and my accent is pure NYC. alot of cops have felt that reason enough to bust my *****. I certainly have never been disrespectful TRUTHFULLY

Bottom line I don't think he deserved the ticket and loved his response. I have 20 % and will emply it if I get stopped along with being polite and doing whatever I am told. I don't disrespect LEOs but I don't have to be disrespected by them either, and Tint is a BS ticket I know two NYC vetern Officers that will agree :cheers:
Old 04-16-2004, 06:06 PM
zo6fun
Instructor

Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket. (Shylor)

Uh... the windows were down. I live in Florida and drive with the windows down all the time. He had to ask me to roll the window UP after he stopped me. Said he could tell from my rear glass my tint was too dark... even though we have no law for rear glass.

Whatever... try to justify it all you want. It's all about the $$, not about safety for cops... especially since he ran my plate and could tell I've been living here for over ten years, at the same house, was on my way home from work, etc, etc. If he had pulled me over for speeding and I had been disrespectful, I can understand him adding on a tint charge to my speeding. This had nothing to do with that but $$ and his quota. Trust me, I have friends who work in Law enforcement... I know what it's all about.

As for going to court... it's not worth the time. The $63 tint fine is ALOT less than the time I would spend going to court (the cop knows this too). Like I said, I respect officers and understand the difficult job they do. But going out of his way and almost causing an accident to pull me over for tint that he couldn't see and ignoring other speeding motorists says more about an agenda for $$ and quota than anything else.

Peace
Old 04-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Uh... the windows were down. I live in Florida and drive with the windows down all the time. He had to ask me to roll the window UP after he stopped me. Said he could tell from my rear glass my tint was too dark... even though we have no law for rear glass.

Whatever... try to justify it all you want. It's all about the $$, not about safety for cops... especially since he ran my plate and could tell I've been living here for over ten years, at the same house, was on my way home from work, etc, etc. If he had pulled me over for speeding and I had been disrespectful, I can understand him adding on a tint charge to my speeding. This had nothing to do with that but $$ and his quota. Trust me, I have friends who work in Law enforcement... I know what it's all about.

As for going to court... it's not worth the time. The $63 tint fine is ALOT less than the time I would spend going to court (the cop knows this too). Like I said, I respect officers and understand the difficult job they do. But going out of his way and almost causing an accident to pull me over for tint that he couldn't see and ignoring other speeding motorists says more about an agenda for $$ and quota than anything else.

Peace
ZO6fun, Since the windows were down he had no legal reason to stop you, Back window my butt :mad

Its all about the Money, sorry you got stopped, will you have to remove it????

Get notified of new replies

To Got my first speeding ticket.

Old 04-16-2004, 07:03 PM
wstory1
Race Director

V1 :thumbs: Sorry to hear about the ticket. :(
Old 04-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

As for going to court... it's not worth the time
Then pay up brother! If it were me, I'd make it worth my time to change things. Especially if I was in the right. Mostly it doesn't really matter if a cop never gave you a ticket for tint before, Just because one didn't doesn't mean another one won't. If it's a violation of the law, it's a violation of the law. The best place to whine about laws that need to be changed is in court. If people don't want to take the time to do this then don't expect a change.

Remember driving is a priviledge and not a right. We can only do one of three things. 1) Follow the vehicle laws, 2) Disregard the vehicle laws and pay the fines, or 3) Lose our priviledge.

I prefer to obey the law but, if I do break them I certainly won't complain. Afterall it is my responsibility to know those laws concerning my vehicle. Just because I don't like a law (for what ever reason), isn't cause to break it illegally.

While I understand your frustration in thinking it's a petty violation not worthy of a ticket, you must understand it is still the Officer's job. Playing games with the Officer will not help you. In fact it may encourage him to find other things wrong with your vehicle, that he was letting you slide on. Law Enforcement Officers are people. It's not their fault many of us choose not to obey vehicle laws.

Don't give them a reason to stop you. I certainly don't. But if I am stopped I follow all their directions and treat them with respect. If I get a ticket, I take it and go to court if I feel it isn't correct. I'm certainly not going to play games with a person that has a gun in their holster.

Enjoy the ride, be safe and save the wave!
Old 04-17-2004, 02:28 AM
Zeppelin
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket. (ZO6Lee)

DonÂ’t know if itÂ’s true but this is what I herd. If you plead guilty by mail, they send you the amount owed back in a few weeks. What ever the amount is overpay it by about Ten Dollars or so. When the amount is entered into the computer itÂ’s put off to the side because of the overpayment, thus it never gets released to general inquiries like insurance computers or the Everyday computers that track each and everything we do.
:bs
http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp

Quick Reply: [Z06] Got my first speeding ticket.