Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential Vent Leaking Oil............

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 04:35 PM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Differential Vent Leaking Oil............

Hey Guys,

The first trip to the Dealer they stated that the differential was overfilled and they serviced it to the proper level.

It was still dripping oil so I took it in again yesterday and they said that the oil was coming out of the vent on top of the Differential. It also appeared to be coming from that area when I looked at it as well before I took it in.

My questions are:

1) is there an air chamber at the base of the air vent inside the differential unit that could be full of oil? I have heard of this being a problem on different types of units but I have not had one of these apart.

2) Does anyone have pictures of the inside of a C5 Differential unit that shows the hole that leads to the air vent on top of the unit?

Differential units that have an air chamber at the base of the air vent can leak oil out of the vent during normal operation if the air chamber is full of oil, which can occur if over serviced.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks

Last edited by AMGPilot; 07-08-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:06 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Your dealer is feeding you a load of crap!

Your left (driver's side) diff cover is leaking. This has been a common problem on C5s since 1997. Have your dealer check his TSBs. It'll tell him exactly how to fix your car.

Tom
Old 07-09-2004, 11:12 PM
ValiantSailor
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new 2004 leaked with 200 miles..the guys at Mr. Goodwrench fixed it, after two tries, they finally got it right. Your dealer is taking the lazy way out,,,but dont get discouraged, they WILL fix it on the warranty. By the way, they will have to order parts, you can bank on it.

Finally, if they come up with that lame BS, tell them to point out the vent where the oil will flow out of.

Last edited by ValiantSailor; 07-09-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I have seen many C5 rears leak because of overfill. The dealer is not pulling your leg. It's very easy to tell by getting under there and just looking. It is also true that many C5's have rear seals leak, usually becasue one or more of the side plate bolts have been over torqued and thus dimpled the side plate, BUT the over fill problem is also very common.

I've seen the overfill leak problem very often. Just get under there and look where it's coming from. It's easy to tell the difference.

......and if it's coming from the overfill, just take some out. When it comes from the overfill it will be messy up high. The leaking sideplate/gasket, will be just there at the side plate.

Get notified of new replies

To Differential Vent Leaking Oil............

Quick Reply: Differential Vent Leaking Oil............