Sponsored by:

2002 CD Changer problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 11:08 PM
cpvette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 CD Changer problem

I was surprised Friday when I visited my local audio shop to have a cd changer installed into my 2002 coupe with factory Bose head/single cd and was told I couldn't add a changer. I was told that for 2002 if you didn't order the factory installed cd changer, one couldn't be added. I find this hard to believe. They said they checked around even with the local Chevy Dealership and it was confirmed that the changer cannot be installed. I was told that the C6 will have an in-dash cd changer and if it's the same size as the C5 head unit, I may be able to swap out the head units and that will be the only way to get a cd changer in my Vette. It wasn't recommended to change out the entire system as it is a huge job.

Has anyone else run into this problem? I think the radio shop is wrong. I see where Ecklers, MidAmerica, etc. sell cd changers for C5s and there are no notations of any exceptions regarding 2002 Vettes. I didn't question their explaination because they have done good work for me before and I would assume that they wanted to sell me the changer and wouldn't send me away after taking the dash apart to pull out the head unit then have to put it back together for nothing.

2002 models probably require a special cable different from other models but again I can't belive that I am unable to add a changer.

Anyone with a 2002 with the single cd player been able to add a changer?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2004, 11:45 PM
billjax
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Your audio shop is totally wrong!!

I ordered the changer from GM Partsdirect and the Chevy dealer installed it with no problems. You do need a special cable with the right plug but I don't think that is unique to 2002s.

The magazines are Pioneer JD-T1212 and I bought several on eBay at a good price.

If you plan on burning CDs, results can be mixed. I've burned a bunch and some play fine while others sound all scratchy. I've burned at 2x, up to 8x, using Nero and other software. I can now burn at 48x so might as well try that - some play, some don't. All play in the in-dash player, however.

If the search function is up and running, do a search. There was a long thread on burning.

Good luck!!
Old 07-20-2004, 03:31 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cpvette
Has anyone else run into this problem? I think the radio shop is wrong. I see where Ecklers, MidAmerica, etc. sell cd changers for C5s and there are no notations of any exceptions regarding 2002 Vettes. ......Anyone with a 2002 with the single cd player been able to add a changer?

Thanks!
The radio shop is full of s**t. They just couldn't sell you one of their changers. Can't figure out why the dealer didn't want to do it, though. I have a 2002 coupe, and did it myself. see this link: GM CD Changer review

It's a review by myself and two other guys who have done the install.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:24 PM
cpvette
Heel & Toe

Thanks! I knew they must have been wrong but I just can't figure out why they didn't want my money.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:50 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by billjax
The magazines are Pioneer JD-T1212 and I bought several on eBay at a good price.
May I ask what is a good price to buy a new magazine? And if you have a link to buying one that would be great.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Trigger Creep
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A changer can be added, but i'd bet the GM head unit wouldn't control it. Instead, you'd most likely have a remote to keep up with in the console.

Lots of folks are unhappy with the performance of the stock Bose system. Replace yours with a head unit that also has XM or Sirrius satelite radio and a changer that will play MP3's too. Most of them do.

Alpine has some very nice stuff. Of course, the sky is the limit with automotive audio and video now. GPS, DVD, touch screen, it never stops.

I was told the orig speakers don't always work with aftermarket heads. Maybe someone will elaborate and tell us why. I remember there is an amp on the Bose speakers?
Old 07-24-2004, 10:05 PM
billjax
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Stock Man
May I ask what is a good price to buy a new magazine? And if you have a link to buying one that would be great.
My prices ranged from $17 for a used one (in great shape) to 6 new ones for $194; all prices included shipping.

I have no link - I just did an eBay search for T1212 or JD-T1212.

Hope this helps you.

PS - Thanks for making me do a Quicken search which reminded me of how much I've spent on the Vette (so far)!!
Old 07-25-2004, 12:06 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have digital pictures of the plugs and location of the connections in the passengers foot well if you need them!

E-mail me at: bill327@msn.com

Bill
Old 07-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Roofless
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Stasy as far away from that place as possible they/he has no clue as to what he is saying or doing. What was he trying to sell you in lieu of what you wanted?

Get notified of new replies

To 2002 CD Changer problem

Quick Reply: 2002 CD Changer problem