C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Sounding Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 10:56 PM
JeffC5
Melting Slicks

Location: Edmond, OK...One of the first rules of online forums: If you don't like what is said but can't refute it, attack the poster.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How will this work to fix the rear speakers?
Get a RCA connector box and hook it into the rear speaker leads. Then connect the RCA connectors to a 250watt amp. Then connect the amp to NEW rear 2way competition speakers. Will this work? The amp, rca connector box and 2 speakers around 300.00. Haven't shopped around on price and think I could do much better, like around 200.00
Jeff
Old 08-14-2004, 11:04 PM
SlumpinC5
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warren s
The Stereo in my 99 sounds pretty bad, its the standard Bose system. I noticed the rear speakers sound like all the highs are cut off. I put in new speakers that sound a little better but not much. The Bose system in my 95 sounded fantastic.

Did anyone have this problem? Is there a crossover in the system that kills the highs from going to the back?
Mine sounded fine and I have a 99 as well.. I decided to upgrade though and went with this...
Old 08-16-2004, 01:43 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffC5
How will this work to fix the rear speakers?
Get a RCA connector box and hook it into the rear speaker leads. Then connect the RCA connectors to a 250watt amp. Then connect the amp to NEW rear 2way competition speakers. Will this work? The amp, rca connector box and 2 speakers around 300.00. Haven't shopped around on price and think I could do much better, like around 200.00
Jeff
From what I understand, the rear signals have been "crossed-over" and reduced to only enough of a signal level to provide ambient fill, and I've heard that the signal is not strong or clean enough to be nicely driven by an external amp, if at all. I would think that a Class D sub amp MIGHT be able to pick up that signal and deliver some sound, due to the nature of a Class D being much more powerful than a regular amp. Additionally, I believe that you might get a lot of distortional "noise", which might not be so audible when running a sub amp, but might be unsatisfactory with a normal AB amp.

In fact, I think someone on this thread, or maybe another thread, already tried tapping the rear signal at the speakers, but didn't get a strong enough line signal to make it work.

Please keep in mind that these are just personal theories of mine, not tried and proven facts, so I'm only sharing my opinion and what I've heard so that you can at least consider your possible results if you do decide to try it. If you try it, please share your results with the rest of us.

If it DOES work, I'm thinking you'll have great rear high and mid sound, but then may end up needing more bass fill throughout the car to balance all the highs and mids you'll then have in the ENTIRE car, you know what I mean? I'm actually interested in more bass fill throughout the car, which is why I chimed in here and want to know your results.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:53 AM
JeffC5
Melting Slicks

Location: Edmond, OK...One of the first rules of online forums: If you don't like what is said but can't refute it, attack the poster.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is, I just don't know the first thing about stereo stuff. I was talking to a guy at a car stereo shop and he suggested the amp and new rear speakers. I think I'll go and talk to a couple more places and see what they think.
Jeff
Old 08-16-2004, 11:59 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JeffC5
The thing is, I just don't know the first thing about stereo stuff. I was talking to a guy at a car stereo shop and he suggested the amp and new rear speakers. I think I'll go and talk to a couple more places and see what they think.
Jeff
I've found that most stereo shops don't know ****, when it comes to C5 systems. Some say you can't do anything except replace the whole unit, others say you can tap into the rear speaker leads, but if you read some threads here from forum members who have actually TRIED one thing or another, I think like me, you'll find that other forum members' info is WAY more helpful than the "professionals".
Old 08-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5 RV
I've resigned myself to lousy stereo sound in my vette. The runflats drown it out and the stingers make their own music.
can't hear the radio above 130 with the top off anyways
Old 08-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Coyote
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 110 Posts

The C5's sound system sucks. Plain and simple. The Bose system in my C4 was WAY better. Pretty sad really. Shoot, my wife's little inexpensive Saturn LW300 has a GREAT sound system (w/factory optioned DVD player)... I drive the Saturn when I wanna feel the bass and hear the full range of sound.

I drive the C5 when I wanna hear my exhaust (Stingers). Someday, I'll pay the coin to get the entire C5 sound system replaced with something atleast on-par with some kid's pizza delivery rust bucket.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 140 Likes on 89 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I agree that the factory stereo system in the Vette leaves a lot left to be desired, as do they in most cars. I have an 04, so I don't know if there are any changes from previous years. Now everyone has there own listening preference, but I found out if I adjust it the right way I can live with it.
I don't believe the rear speakers are meant to have full fidelity, I believe they are only there to give a fill effect as has be already stated. And they are driven by the head unit amp, so any replacement speakers will do the same thing if you use those same leads from the head unit.

Here is what I did:
I leave the fade, balance, base and treb controls dead center. (you may want to adjust the fade slightly to the front).
Now I use the preset auto level thingy (forgot what it is called at the moment), I set just about all the music radio stations to jazz, even though they are mostly rock/top 40 etc. Once you find a setting you like for the type of music/talk radio station you will have to set the preset memory again for those of you who did not read the manual.
I don't turn the volume up over 3/4 of the way and I find that the sound is respectable for a "factory system".
Also remember not to rest your left leg on the left front speaker grill, obviously you will block the sound.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Gary Wells
Racer

FWIW & IMHO:
I am looking to install the same Delce-Bose CD-AM-FM that is in my '02 Z06 in my '87 Buick Turbo Regal. So for any of you guys that are replacing your current set-up with an aftermarket set-up, drop me an E-mail and let me know what you are asking for your old set-up.
Pictures required please. Pristind condition is also an requirement.
I want the exact same unit that is in a '02 Z06.
gary-l-wells@msn.com
Long Beach, Ca
Old 08-16-2004, 06:15 PM
FYNL4
Pro

Originally Posted by silver6spd C5
ADDING A SUB TO YOUR STOCK BOSE STEREO (great sound without having to change your stock speakers!! )

*this setup sounds great but is NOT for people looking for a competition setup! although it doest hit pretty hard! *

for those of you interested in upgrading your stock stereo, here is a brief write up about adding 1 sub/mono amp.

basically a rundown of what i needed for the setup:

- stock bose system!
- 10" sub (i chose JL) $100 new
- sub box (made my own) $30 in materials
- mono amp (i chose JBL 600wattsX1) $100 used
- amp wiring kit $70
- high/low converter $30

the install was fairly simple. its a basic setup, without going into too much detail here is what had to be done.....

1.) start by removing factory radio, and also the center counsil. i ran all the wires from the head unit right underneath the center counsil, then under the drivers seat, then right up the the amp.

2.) amp kit had to be set up. so start by running the power wire (fuse) through the firewall to the battery and hook up.

3.) with the factory radio out, now you can start connecting your wires. i started by hooking up the high/low converter.

installing the high/low converter:

- the converter was basically a small box, and had 6 terminals if i remember correctly. left speaker (+,-), right speaker (+,-), power, and ground

- looking at the harness in the back of the radio, you will see the speaker wires, and power and ground. run power to power, ground to ground, then the +'s to the left and right speaker wires, then the -'s to the ground wire.

- thats it for the converter, if you are sitting in the passenger seat and you look over to the counsil right where the plastic meets the carpet, you can actually put the converter in that spot under the carpet, there is tons of space!!

installing rest of amp kit:

- basically all thats left is to run the rest of the wires. you need to run a remote wire to the back of the head unit to the accesories that way the amp will turn off when the key is shut off, and doors are opened.

- next you have to run a ground wire for the amp. i used the big bolt holding the seat down on the drivers side. was simple enough, and it does the job!

- the rca's you are going to run from the amp, directly to the high/low converter.

- dont forget the power (fuse) wire has to go to the amp also!

- then all you have to do is run some speaker wire from the amp, directly to the sub box

YOU ARE DONE!

my install isnt really the cleanest, i have yet to actually pull the carpet in the back and mount the amp, and run the wires so you cant see them. right now i just have the amp behind the drivers seat, all the wires run from under/behind the seat then right up to the amp, so you dont really see wire everywhere.

now i built the box myself, so i saved some money. it took me and a buddy about 4 hours to build the box. but we managed to build the box, and install the whole system in only 1 night. it really isnt that bad. and for the $$ i spent, and time installing... it was SOOOO worth it!! it sounds GREATTT!!!

now its late, and i havent even re-read what i wrote. so im sure im leaving things out, and probably wasnt specific enough in some things. but like i said thats basically the idea.

feel free to ask any questions, and hopefully i can help you out!! thanks for reading!!!
>
Could you please be more specific as to what high/low converter (manufacturer and part number) you actually used? Thanks..............
Old 08-16-2004, 09:35 PM
survivor04
Racer

Originally Posted by silver6spd C5
i can never really figure out why everyone downs the stock bose systems so much?!?! i mean c'mon... how many of you guys need competition stereos in your car?? i had a 95 Z28 with the stock bose system that sounded better than what most cars come with stock even today!! between my father and i we have had 5 (3 Z28's, 2 C5's) all with the stock bose, and i really cant complain. i dont know many stock stereos that you can turn up that high with out distorting and sounding like a**.

sure the vette bose system is nothing to brag about! but it really isnt that bad. if you guys were able to hear my stock bose, with 1 sub, you would all really change your mind!!

so whats everyone got against the bose?!?! (besides the front rear speaker grills always rattle ?!?!)
Sorry... I've got to disagree with you in a big way. For it's segment, the stereo is a joke. It only puts out wattage in the mid 200 range and the sound quality is nothing to be amazed about. Believe or it not the stock Mach 460 stock system that came in my last two Mustangs runs circles around the stock system in the C5. If there is one thing that Ford did get right on the 1994-2004 Mustang... it was the Mach 460... it has 8 speakers (4 subs and 4 treeters)... and the sound quality is amazing for a stock system... especially for $20 to $25K car. My 2002 GT also had a 6 disc in the dash changer that I miss VERY MUCH!!! Something I am very glad is available on the C6.

Any former Mustang 1994-2004 w/Mach 460 that agree?
Old 08-16-2004, 09:45 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by survivor04
Sorry... I've got to disagree with you in a big way. For it's segment, the stereo is a joke. It only puts out wattage in the mid 200 range and the sound quality is nothing to be amazed about. Believe or it not the stock Mach 460 stock system that came in my last two Mustangs runs circles around the stock system in the C5. If there is one thing that Ford did get right on the 1994-2004 Mustang... it was the Mach 460... it has 8 speakers (4 subs and 4 treeters)... and the sound quality is amazing for a stock system... especially for $20 to $25K car. My 2002 GT also had a 6 disc in the dash changer that I miss VERY MUCH!!! Something I am very glad is available on the C6.

Any former Mustang 1994-2004 w/Mach 460 that agree?
No matter what Ford you buy, the stereo ALWAYS seems to be better than what's in GMs. You saw that in the 'stang, vs. the 'vette, and I see it in the Expedition compared to the Suburban. Why the heck it does GM keeping skimping out on the stereo? Cost at factory level can't be more than a few pennies! I don't get it, I just don't get it.

Quick Reply: Poor Sounding Stereo