Sponsored by:

Are we cop magnets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:23 PM
C5STATETROOPER
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie44
Not flaming but when I was out writing tickets I used to enjoy writing attorneys and rich folks that were the worst name droppers (ie "do you know chief so and so?"). I felt sorry for the kids and younger adults unless they were doing something obviously stupid.

My experience is we as a group probably drive "closer to the edge" whether it's just being stupid or hearing that roar of the aftermarket exhaust. I have yet to be stopped in over a year owning the Vette.
Around here, a C5 is hardly a big deal. When you have exotics running around like Central Florida does, it pales to compare.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is a bear Catholic? Does the Pope **** in the woods? Of course we're cop magnets! They just can't catch us

Would not bet on it - ARRIVE ALIVE!
Old 08-11-2004, 05:44 PM
ACELR8N
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In this day and age cops are pretty busy dealing with crimes and accidents, but traffic enforcement is a part of most police agencies so radar units are deployed. After thirty years in law enforcement, my opinion is that traffic units are dialing in a speed, usually between 76mph and 80mph for the interstates and nailing copious amounts of offenders exceeding those parameters. Because there are so many to choose from, they could care less what the offender is driving. Of course each locality has a different agenda, so you have to pick your spots, road conditions, and use a detector to avoid the traps. If you're blowing past everone else on the road, guess who they're going to pick. It's never personal with the cops that I know, and it's not a numbers game for quota. But, it is a numbers game concerning speed. They would rather go to court with an 84mph offense than a 68mph.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:54 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

I think Corvettes are less of a cop magnet, lets's say, than a teenager with a Honda Civic, Mitsubishi Evo or a Subie Sti.

On the car meets that I go to, cops do not bother C5 people meeting in a parking lot. However, they lurk when they spot a few japanese sportscars parked together in a commercial parking lot. I would see them wait for the right time and chase them when they leave siting them for something dumb like dark tint or illegal exhaust to something more serious like "exhibition speed" or "revving."

I had only had heard of cops harrassing vettes for no front plates once.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Ruler89
Pro

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
you can be ticketed for too slow for conditions .
I'd bet my legal career that the cop would get laughed out of court here in St. Louis for a 10 under citatation!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:49 PM
MRHTRD
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ACELR8N
In this day and age cops are pretty busy dealing with crimes and accidents, but traffic enforcement is a part of most police agencies so radar units are deployed. After thirty years in law enforcement, my opinion is that traffic units are dialing in a speed, usually between 76mph and 80mph for the interstates and nailing copious amounts of offenders exceeding those parameters. Because there are so many to choose from, they could care less what the offender is driving. Of course each locality has a different agenda, so you have to pick your spots, road conditions, and use a detector to avoid the traps. If you're blowing past everone else on the road, guess who they're going to pick. It's never personal with the cops that I know, and it's not a numbers game for quota. But, it is a numbers game concerning speed. They would rather go to court with an 84mph offense than a 68mph.
Well said!!! I think that as ana verage you are right on the money !!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Wolfmanjohn
Melting Slicks

No problems yet in my '04 Mag Red. And driving late at night or early in the morning as I frequently do, I'm quite often just about the only usual suspect out there to choose from. This is not my first red vehicle, either.

No, I don't believe in this "Arrest-Me-Red" crap. The only tickets I have gotten in the past 25 years were in a dark grey metallic Toyleta pickup and a dark grey/black Dodge Caravan. To this day, I've never been able to figure out why those two vehicles attracted so much attention, outside of their color.

Any LEO input on this?
Old 08-11-2004, 09:12 PM
C5 4 ME
Safety Car

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
No, never had a ticket in the Vette.
Same here. But I do notice that the leo's are always looking at my Torch Red baby.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:37 PM
pbadad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default mine too

Originally Posted by C5 4 ME
Same here. But I do notice that the leo's are always looking at my Torch Red baby.

son's N.Y.P.D......he's always looking at my vette
...........jimmy
Old 08-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Perceval
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cops out here in CT seem to like the car and leave me alone (knock on wood).

I used to own a black Dodge Stealth and it felt like I was a rolling ticket waiting to happen. I used to get tailed a ton in that car, but thankfully not anymore.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:29 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have never received a ticket in my Vette....

See sig.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:31 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I get more tickets in my truck. (Knock on wood)
Old 08-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Ducman69
Pro

24 year old (look younger with a baseball cap) in a red Vette with cam+lg long tubes+borla straight pipes = cop magnet. Have to try to tip-toe around 1800rpm and I still get followed around.

Last edited by Ducman69; 08-11-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:37 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfmanjohn
No, I don't believe in this "Arrest-Me-Red" crap.
Just going by my personal experience. Bright red 84 Z28, numerous tickets. Dark Green 94 Z28, same driving habits, no tickets in 11 years (still my drive to work and leave it in the lot while I'm flying car). 02 Electron Blue coupe, no tickets in 2 1/2 years.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Merlin02
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Cop Magnets

I was a traffic officer for 11 years, and I wrote an average of about 400 citations per month. Honestly, I couldn't have cared less what kind of, year, make, model, color, or who the driver was. If they were speeding, then they received a citation. Simple as that! My mind was made up before I even made the stop whether the driver was going to be cited or not. My decision was based on the severity of the violation and not on the vehicle or the driver. That way I avoided "attitude" citations which are not professional and do no one any good.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Zonify
Burning Brakes

I have been driving for about 2 years now (I'm 18), and have never been followed by a cop nor pulled over. I show exhibition of speed quite often in both the vette and 350z and am never looked at. I even often floor it to 50 or so and hit 2nd gear and settle it down. I have the stingers so it's not like I drive quietly...

I have actually had a few cops wave at me, and actually have passed cops driving 15 over, and them not even turn their head to give me a ticket...

Mind you I never really go anything over 15 over, and I really only floor it when the road is practically empty.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:12 PM
ACELR8N
Pro

Originally Posted by Merlin02
I was a traffic officer for 11 years, and I wrote an average of about 400 citations per month. Honestly, I couldn't have cared less what kind of, year, make, model, color, or who the driver was. If they were speeding, then they received a citation. Simple as that! My mind was made up before I even made the stop whether the driver was going to be cited or not. My decision was based on the severity of the violation and not on the vehicle or the driver. That way I avoided "attitude" citations which are not professional and do no one any good.

Really well said, and I believe this to be the prevailing attitude amongst professionals.

Last edited by ACELR8N; 08-11-2004 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:15 PM
ACELR8N
Pro

Originally Posted by Ducman69
24 year old (look younger with a baseball cap) in a red Vette with cam+lg long tubes+borla straight pipes = cop magnet. Have to try to tip-toe around 1800rpm and I still get followed around.
Loose the baseball cap, no just kidding, but the borla straight pipes will draw attention of all kinds.

Get notified of new replies

To Are we cop magnets?

Old 08-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Ducman69
Pro

Loose the baseball cap
Do you know why I pulled you over son?
Was I speeding?
No, I got you for exhibition of bling and your cap is on crooked. I'll let you off with a warning this time... now shape up, and get a haircut while your at it!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:51 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jawski
Or Arctic White..

Never a speeding ticket in a vette...knock on wood. I did get pulled for 100+ in a 45 once. Got 3 tickets, but none were for speeding. The tickets were b/c I'd just bought it and didn't have the registration/tags with the car. Under $100, no insurance points, and I was on my way.

Last speeding ticket last year in an 03 Corolla (wife's car at the time) doing 82 in a 60. Usually I'm just a lot more "aware" when driving the vette...and have a radar if I plan on speeding...
Old 08-12-2004, 09:12 AM
1g1yy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ruler89
I'd bet my legal career that the cop would get laughed out of court here in St. Louis for a 10 under citatation!
Yes, you're probably right, but there are many instances where driving under the limit causes more problems than over the limit.

Quick Reply: Are we cop magnets?