This Annoying Quote Will Piss You Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 02:26 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ACELR8N
This guy's comments are rooted in ignorance. If he had done even miniscule research he would have discovered the Vette folks invented the wave... geez! Consider the source. Not only do I wave to Vettes, I receive more waves and thumbs up from people of all car persuasions, that it serves as a constant reminder that Vettes are like puppies... everyone loves them. Accept maybe for W.C. Fields, and he's long gone.
Contrary to popular belief on here, 'vette drivers did not invent the "wave." Sports cars like MG & Triumph pre-date the 'vette, as does the Jeep, and those drivers were waving before Corvette was born.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:37 PM
FlyNLow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Dawg
Hey guys, lighten up a little. Be happy that there are others out there who also love their cars. The repair record of older Jeeps probably isn't a lot worse then that of similar vintage Vettes, especially considering the beating they take when going off road.

I love my modified Cherokee AND my Vette. If you want to see how much fun you can have at 2mph, go on a Jeep Jamboree. You'll be amazed. Until then, you can enjoy your ride just as much without sinking to the level of the idiot quoted in the article.

I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and a 2002 Corvette Coupe....I've never received a wave from a 'Vette owner - yes I wave at all 'Vettes - but I have been waved at by a Jeep owner. Damned fine vehicles in their own right. I'll be happy to take on ANY 'Vette in 2 feet of snow and ice.....any takers?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:42 PM
FlyNLow
Instructor

Originally Posted by thevettenet CA
Contrary to popular belief on here, 'vette drivers did not invent the "wave." Sports cars like MG & Triumph pre-date the 'vette, as does the Jeep, and those drivers were waving before Corvette was born.

That's the history of things......waves, and brief headlight flashes were invented WAY before the 'Vette got around to it....but it's a nice tradition for every owner of the marque to wave in passing....
Old 08-25-2004, 02:49 PM
C5 Dawg
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyNLow

I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and a 2002 Corvette Coupe....I've never received a wave from a 'Vette owner - yes I wave at all 'Vettes - but I have been waved at by a Jeep owner. Damned fine vehicles in their own right. I'll be happy to take on ANY 'Vette in 2 feet of snow and ice.....any takers?
You're in a great area for off-roading (the intentional type). Even a stock Grand can do some incredible things. For a great week-end, check out http://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/ . Costs a few bucks, but well worth it. The only problem will be deciding if the mods $ should go into the Jeep or the Vette.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Fuelie driver
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I have been a Vette owner for 44 years and obviously love the corvette!!! But I also have a Jeep wrangler which I enjoy for running around and occassional off road use> My Jeep has 103000 miles of trouble free driving< My nephews jeep has 300,000 miles with only routine maintainance!!!!!! There are many fine vehicles that serve purposes other than sports cars that have a fan loyalty base. I think we should keep this in mind and keep our heads out of our a$$
Old 08-25-2004, 03:19 PM
CAJUNY2KC5
Le Mans Master

Sure. Gladly. Just bring all the snow you want to down here to Florida in July and I'll run ya all day long.

Even if I lose - I'll charge $10 a head for Floridians just to see snow in July and make a mint.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:53 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rattler71
The wave might be alive in some places but not here in South FLorida, I have never never gotten one wave in return.

Scott
It's not alive here in Ontarion either. I find the C5 guys don't wave to us in the C3's.
My son drives a jeep, loves it and every sunday goes out with a group of guys and they have a ball hill climbing, getting down and dirty. They are not related to each other.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:56 PM
blazeone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z16kalel
They are not waving to be friendly, They are trying to get some help because that Jeep POS has fallen apart on them.
Too f$%king funny , that's a good one.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:58 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Dawg
Speaking of snobs, do you wave to ALL Chevrolets, or just Corvettes. Jeeps wavers are generally the same way: they'll wave to other Jeep enthusiasts, and most of them are not driving stock Grands.
Oh, I just wave at Corvettes, not all Chevys.

But then, all Chevy's aren't "off-road certified" (whatever that means).

Jeep has always made a big deal about ALL its vehicles being off-roaders. To my knowledge, Chevrolet has never said that all Chevys are designed to do the same things that a Corvette is designed to do.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:37 PM
C5 Dawg
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
To my knowledge, Chevrolet has never said that all Chevys are designed to do the same things that a Corvette is designed to do.
Actually, I think that all Chevs can do the same thing as a 'vette, just not as fast or with the same style. Besides top and 1/4 speed, what can your Chev do that the others can't?

On the other hand, my Jeep can go 100mph. Can your 'vette drive over a 12" rock on an off-camber slope?

Like I said before, be happy that there all types of enthusiasts out there who like their vehicles, whatever they are.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:41 PM
boatboatboat
Drifting

what can your Chev do that the others can't?

Hold resale value.

Get 25 mph gallon in a HIGH performance car.

Put a smile on my face that all the jeeps in texas can't wipe off.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Antonio BananaS
Pro

Originally Posted by Rattler71
The wave might be alive in some places but not here in South FLorida, I have never never gotten one wave in return.

Scott
I thought i was the only one... i'm in california and my rate of getting the wave back is less than 20%... i assume they've never heard of the CF... some times they look at me weird when i wave at them.

shall i stop waving?
Old 08-25-2004, 05:31 PM
sharpvet03
Melting Slicks

I thought we waved at each other all the time
Old 08-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Cocked and Locked
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

[QUOTE=C5 Dawg]Interesting thought since the Jeep predates the 'Vette by over a dozen years. By the way, the Jeep wave tends to be between modified or older Jeeps.QUOTE]
I drove and rode in many Jeeps during my 30 years of Army service and can vouch for approximately 95% waves (or salutes)exchanged. I can't however vouch for those in Jeeps other than the olive drab variety.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Vetteran
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07

Sorry to hear that, I'd say conservatively speaking, 6 out of 10 vettes I
see on the road (and when I'm in my vette) wave. The others didn't see
me (I'm sure I miss a few too), thens theres the occassional one who just
doesnt get it.

As for your your challenge, I won't do it in my vette, but I have an AWD
Silverado I like playing in the snow with. I'll look ya up next time I'm in
CO!

Last edited by ericwf1; 08-25-2004 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:55 PM
johnlovescar
Instructor

I wave each time I see other Corvettes.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:02 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Since the Jeep is an open vehicle, One would spend considerable time trying to catch airborn items while driving. I can only conclude that the person in the article is mistaking that for waving at another jeep.

VR

Quick Reply: This Annoying Quote Will Piss You Off