Sponsored by:

what gas works besides Chevron? Prc or PHX area

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 06:47 PM
copperflight
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what gas works besides Chevron? Prc or PHX area

Anyone in the Prescott/PHX area using other than Chevron gas without adding anything else. I picked up my 97 about a month ago and it had all the usuall gas gauge problems and check engine light. Put in a tank of Chevron and a can of Techron and all problems shortly thereafter went away. I've been using Chevron ever since but the local Chevron just changed to Conoco so getting Chevron has become less convienient. What else to use?
Old 09-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Mobil One works for me (Exxon used to)
Old 09-11-2004, 10:41 PM
sunshine
Racer

What kind of gas gauge problems? Mine registeres empty once below half a tank. I heard it was a sticking float costing about $600 to fix. I've been using mostly Costco gas, in Phoenix, with no problem, but could this be a problem?
Old 09-12-2004, 01:26 AM
copperflight
Intermediate

Not sure about your particular prob but I experienced a similar problem with the gas gauge suddenly dropping to E, the low fuel warning on DIC coming on sometimes even after a fillup and a check engine light. Checked the Forum and found lot's of info on the issue. Most claimed certain types/brands of fuel were to blame. I tried what others did and ran only Chevron fuel and added a can of Techron. It didn't take long for the problem to go away and I hav'nt had any problem since. Some said it took a couple of tanks to get rid if the problem. It worked for me, Good luck.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:03 AM
NVR BRNG
Racer

Originally Posted by copperflight
Anyone in the Prescott/PHX area using other than Chevron gas without adding anything else. I picked up my 97 about a month ago and it had all the usuall gas gauge problems and check engine light. Put in a tank of Chevron and a can of Techron and all problems shortly thereafter went away. I've been using Chevron ever since but the local Chevron just changed to Conoco so getting Chevron has become less convienient. What else to use?
I'd encourage you to try to find another Chevron station close to your location.

Regarding other brands including Costco, ever since '00 when my 'vert was brand new and bone stock, I've tried all the name brands here in L.A., and IMHO, Chevron pump gas ran the best. Our PCMs and all the associated sensors providing feedback to the PCM are very sensitive to fuel quality, especially if / when you start doing mods. Particularly after I started modding and getting several dyno tunes, I've only used Chevron and sometimes touched it up with some Torco, but Chevron Premium works best IMHO.

If you found that Chevron worked best for you, I'd stick with it. Find another Chevron station.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:04 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by NVR BRNG
I'd encourage you to try to find another Chevron station close to your location.

Regarding other brands including Costco, ever since '00 when my 'vert was brand new and bone stock, I've tried all the name brands here in L.A., and IMHO, Chevron pump gas ran the best. Our PCMs and all the associated sensors providing feedback to the PCM are very sensitive to fuel quality, especially if / when you start doing mods. Particularly after I started modding and getting several dyno tunes, I've only used Chevron and sometimes touched it up with some Torco, but Chevron Premium works best IMHO.

If you found that Chevron worked best for you, I'd stick with it. Find another Chevron station.
Failing finding another Chevron station - I'd buy a case of the Techron additive and use a bottle at each fill-up. If you talk to the Chevrolet service departments (at least those in the "know") they'll tell you the same thing. No one will dispute that there are cars with bad sending units for the fuel gauge, but if the Chevron is used, it seems to help. I live in Metro PHX area, ao finding Chevron is no problem. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2004, 07:14 PM
REDRWUT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Best gas is definetly Citgo!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 07:23 PM
copperflight
Intermediate

thnx all I'll be going a little out of my way to stay with chevron
Old 09-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

Most major brands...I believe Techron is the only additive, you can purchase that at auto parts stores
Old 09-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

I believe the new Shell V-Power premium has an additive very similar to Techron.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:10 PM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Chevron and Texaco merged not too long ago. Do some research and maybe Texaco is pumping the same gas, just not publicizing it. I can't imagine they'll pump two different products very long.
Good Luck!
Old 09-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

They all get it from the same place...each company then adds what they add in the storage tanks (Tank Farm @ 51st and Buckeye)

Get notified of new replies

To what gas works besides Chevron? Prc or PHX area

Quick Reply: what gas works besides Chevron? Prc or PHX area