Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question.....never had a dark colored car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Patman77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question.....never had a dark colored car...

Hey guys,

I've always had silver, pewter, etc cars and went different this time with a Lemans blue. It looks great in the sun, but under intense fluorescent lights, I see a moderate amount of 'microscratches' over the car....I have to be close and look at the right angle, but they are there. They are not really true 'swirls' as they are VERY light and not in a consistent round or arc pattern.....

The car was just delivered and they did minimal prep...by hand, no orbital buffers, etc.

Is this 'normal' for dark cars, meaning is it inevitable that you'll get these microscratches. Again, in regular sunlight or even under artificial light from a foot away you can't really see the,...just when you get right up there at a certain angle....then they are intermittantly visible over the car.

I think I'm obsessing....my wife agrees...and I think I'll add more of these over the first 6 months of washing/waxing, no matter how careful I am....

Just looking to feel better

Thanks

Pat
Old 10-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have an electron blue vette, its won several trophies and I baby it like it was made out of sugar. Nevertheless, the paint does have some micro scratches which can be seen under flourescent lamps or at night under a street light. Very minor but they are there. I'm not sure if they are really in the clearcoat though because after I apply a coat of Zaino, they almost disappear but after a few washes, they return even though the polish is still there. Since Zaino can layer, it could be that the microscratches are in the polish.
If you use zaino, I'm sure you'll see an improvement. It definitely will fill in an minor scratches. For larger scratches, you can use 3M swirl mark remover but you have to remember that this sands down the clearcoat ever so slightly so you don't want to use it all the time.

Last edited by alex1217; 10-27-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:58 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You should own a black car!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:12 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, he just about does, but it could be worse. It could be the navy blue. Those ARE just as bad as black.

ANY very dark color is extremely difficult to keep looking good, with no scratches or swirls. Black is obviously the worst, but dark blues, dark greens, etc. will show these scratches as well.

You probably have been washing your car incorrectly and please don't take offense when I say that. I screwed up the first black car I had too because I washed it just like I'd been washing every other car I'd ever owned and that's murder on a very dark color.

First of all, use a mitt, not a brush or a sponge. Rinse completely several times before you ever start to wash. Have a separate bucket for soap and rinse water. If you can handle it, wash with one hand and hold the hose shooting water at the mitt with the other.

There's lots of other things that black or very dark car owners have to do and most of us learn them the hard way. I'd suggest asking around for wax tips too. When you come over to the dark side, things are a lot tougher!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:13 PM
bsmith
Team Owner

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

that is the unfortunate part of owning a dark car...

I had a black Camaro that showed every imperfection....
then I have a Navy Blue Metallic Camaro... that was better.
now I have a silver C5 and it is so much easier to take care of
Old 10-27-2004, 12:16 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

These micro-scratches as you put it are on every car, they just are more apparent on the darker colors - as jrose7004 said, you should see what it's like on a Black car!

A random orbital or also known as a dual action buffer with a swirl remover (the most mild polishing compound) will get most of it out.

I use Meguiar's Swirl Remover, followed by Show Car Glaze, followed by NXT (I don't mean or want to start another thread about NXT vs. Zaino) and I can get most of them out.

If you're really obsessed with them, you have to be VERY careful what touches the car. Never wipe it dry, always use clean high thread count micro fiber towels.

My advice - enjoy the car and accept that a certain amount of paint flaws are going to happen. When they do, polish them out and start over!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Patman77
Instructor

I haven't even washed the car yet ... It's new. I just felt bad that its new and was hoping to start with a completely clean slate. Again, the paint looks perfect from 1 foot away or under regular sunlight...but as I described you can see the micro-scratches.

I was worried that something was done wrong at the dealer, factory, etc....but again, its not like the thing is swirled from a buffer or anything....

Anyway, I guess my thoughts are that this is normal, and probably occur at the factory or during inital prep...and even if you started clean, they are inevitable, so I shouldn;t be bummed.

This sin't a show-car...It's my daily driver, but I want to take excellent care of it.

I use only 100% cotton towels to wash, dry....someone said that even a T-shirt that says 100% cotton has some polyester and will cause microscratches. In short, he said within 1 month, no matter how careful you are, you'll have these. He also agreed with you guys...if it gets to the point that it really bothers you, have a professional polish them out and it will be like starting over.

That sound about right?

PS - Zaino on order

Pat
Old 10-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,586 Likes on 14,132 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Every car has these micro-scratches - some are just easier to see than others. Even my pewter has them, but that color hides them well.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:37 PM
mike1944
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 13 Posts

I was talking to a guy who owns a Corvette paint and body shop about some small scratches I had. Anniverary red. He rubbed them out with some Turtlewax cut with 10% water. Been using it for 20 years and isn't going to change. Interesting thing was that he recommended used diapers to wipe polish off, rather than towels. Went to Pep Boys and bought some. They work great. Hope my 86 year old mom doesn't find out what I paid for used diapers. And yes, before you wits ask, they have been washed since they were used for their original purpose.

Last edited by mike1944; 10-27-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:03 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman77
I haven't even washed the car yet ... It's new. I just felt bad that its new and was hoping to start with a completely clean slate. Again, the paint looks perfect from 1 foot away or under regular sunlight...but as I described you can see the micro-scratches.

I was worried that something was done wrong at the dealer, factory, etc....but again, its not like the thing is swirled from a buffer or anything....

Anyway, I guess my thoughts are that this is normal, and probably occur at the factory or during inital prep...and even if you started clean, they are inevitable, so I shouldn;t be bummed.

This sin't a show-car...It's my daily driver, but I want to take excellent care of it.

I use only 100% cotton towels to wash, dry....someone said that even a T-shirt that says 100% cotton has some polyester and will cause microscratches. In short, he said within 1 month, no matter how careful you are, you'll have these. He also agreed with you guys...if it gets to the point that it really bothers you, have a professional polish them out and it will be like starting over.

That sound about right?

PS - Zaino on order

Pat
Hmmm, that really does put a different light on it, at least to me.

I've got two black cars at home and neither has what I'd term "micro scratches". I've cared for them for a long time and have managed never to damage the paint. I'd certainly be talking to the dealer about my paint. I'm wondering if it was damaged in some way before you got it and some ******** "buffed it out".
Old 10-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Good Luck and as we Black Sheep say "Welcome to the Dark side." Now take two valium and start waxing.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:00 PM
JimAgain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrose7004
You should own a black car!
I feel your pain.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:08 PM
KonaVette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Originally Posted by JimAgain
I feel your pain.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:28 PM
finallygot1
Instructor

Last month at Carlisle, I was watching a demonstration for a wax product and it was said "terrycloth is for drying your butt, not your car" I only use microfiber since. Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-27-2004, 09:58 PM
ROMISZ
Instructor

Sounds like the numb-nuts at the dealership gave you these beautiful aftermarket tone on tone pinstripes. You did say they did minimal prep, that is all it takes......Robert with a Black FRC
Old 10-27-2004, 11:58 PM
Patman77
Instructor

I stopped by a local BMW dealership today just out of curiosity and looked at 4 or 5 cars (5 and 7 series) that were black, blue....they were all new and I could see the same thing on all of 'em. To those who think its a mistake by someone, maybe I'm not describing it right, but I think its just inevitable cause I can't seem to find a new car wthout them.

Now I'll quite worrying and enjoy it.

Pat
Old 10-28-2004, 12:23 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I had a dark green Mitsubishi ... same thing as you described. Almost drove me nuts.

My Vette is spiral gray, and they are not nearly as apparent, but under flourescent, at the right angle, I can see them a little.

Flourescent light is hell!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:39 AM
DanielW
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08

black is a pain to keep clean but it rocks when it's clean and waxed
Old 10-28-2004, 01:46 AM
D.K.
Pro

"I use only 100% cotton towels to wash, dry....someone said that even a T-shirt that says 100% cotton has........"

PLease, please, please use only Microfiber on your Vette's paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick question.....never had a dark colored car...

Quick Reply: Quick question.....never had a dark colored car...