Sponsored by:

Texaco vs. Chevron

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 09:03 PM
LS7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texaco vs. Chevron

Are they both the same gas Co. meaning do they both add Techron into the gas at the pump? i don't have any Chevron gas stations by me but I do have Texaco. I was told that Texaco is the same as Chevron.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 116 Posts

there was a recent post on this topic...try the search function.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:35 PM
JimAgain
Burning Brakes

I was curious too and couldn't find a definite answer in search but I'm pretty sure that Texaco pumps still say Techroline. Probably there are a few Techroline fans out there that would miss it so they still have a place to go. I prefer Techron also.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:52 PM
PHIL 1978
Intermediate

Chevron Texaco Corporation - Merged Oct. 2001 - Great Stock To Own.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Same thing. Need to try V-Power.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:30 AM
Hitchie
Intermediate

Chevrontexaco merged in 2001. Part of the merger deal was Texaco had to sell their marketing, and Shell bought that. Most Texaco stations have been converted to Shell stations.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:02 AM
ItsFrench
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the mergers:

BP-AMOCO

ChevronTexaco

ConocoPhillips (Phillips recently purcahsed Tosco which purchased Unocal)

ExxonMobil

That's the line up here on the west coast anyway

Until I drove gasoline tanker trucks in the early 90s, I thought the gasolines with the best commercials were the best gas. But... I am here to tell you that ALL gasoline is the same. The additives are basically the same with slight variations. not enough to really make a significant advantage over the other. I will say that you should stay away from the "mom & pop" stations if you can. Not all do this, but I have heard from other tanker drivers that many order too much 87 octane and give the truck driver a few bucks to "splash" over to the higher grade storage tanks. I have never heard about this happening at a major station.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:39 AM
JimAgain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hitchie
Chevrontexaco merged in 2001. Part of the merger deal was Texaco had to sell their marketing, and Shell bought that. Most Texaco stations have been converted to Shell stations.
That's why the Texaco and Shell stations down the street have the same high price. Right across the street from each other and the only game around.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:40 AM
Mickey
Racer

Link to "top-tier" gas

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...nt_092704.html

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html#
Old 10-29-2004, 08:58 AM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Hitchie

In TN this was correct last year. Almost every Texaco station turned to Shell. However, now it appears that Texaco is moving back into the local market. Just down the street they purchased an AMOCO and converted it to Texaco; there are a few other ones I have noted that have changed. Now that the merger is over, they are back into the marketing game.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:20 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7
Are they both the same gas Co. meaning do they both add Techron into the gas at the pump?
Don't know the answer, but I do know that when I ran Texaco gas I had the "gas guage problem", and have not had it since switching to Chevron. I don't think Texaco has Techron in it.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:16 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by roscoe118
Don't know the answer, but I do know that when I ran Texaco gas I had the "gas guage problem", and have not had it since switching to Chevron. I don't think Texaco has Techron in it.

It's been discussed to death that the Techron addititve has lessened the well-known fuel guage issues. I've been using Chevron for six months and my fuel guage issues have evaporated.

All gasoline might seem like it's the same, but I think the additives are different, and the sulfur content (thought to be the cause of the fuel gauge issues) is higher in some brands than others.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:18 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Chevron, Mobil, Amoco, BP, Exxon, Standard, Texaco, Total, and probabaly a few others I can't remember at this time are all owned by American Oil Co.
Shell and Sunoco are the only 2 other major refiners in this country that I know of.
The independents all buy from 1 of the above in spot buys on the market where they can get the best price.
Do you really think your getting something different from all of them?
Old 10-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Gofasterdad
Racer

All fuel comes from the same place. A refinery. Once exiting a refinery the marketer (ChevronTexaco – Exxon – Shell - etc) adds its additives. Mostly done with smoke and mirrors.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Mickey
Racer

I'd like to hear responses on this GM info about high detergent "top tier" gas.

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability...ent_092704.html

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html#
Old 10-29-2004, 07:26 PM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Chevron, Mobil, Amoco, BP, Exxon, Standard, Texaco, Total, and probabaly a few others I can't remember at this time are all owned by American Oil Co.
Shell and Sunoco are the only 2 other major refiners in this country that I know of.
The independents all buy from 1 of the above in spot buys on the market where they can get the best price.
Do you really think your getting something different from all of them?
Interesting but inaccurate. American Oil does not own those companies you listed. As for Shell and Sunoco being the two major refiners in this country...well, Chevron has the same number as both of those companies.
Chevron/Texaco are one company, and have refineries in Richmond, CA., Pascagoula, MS; and 10 other refineries in the US.
Exxon Mobil are one company, has 7 refineries in the US, 4 in Canada.
BP/AMOCO are one company, has 8 refineries in the US.
Shell has 8.
Sun Oil has 4.
Marathon has 2.
Conoco has 4.
Ashland has 1.
Hess has 2, and there are more.
This information is from an EPA document, dated 2002. There may a few that have closed; however, I do know there are no new ones in the US.
As for the gasoline that is derived from these refineries, it is all pumped into a massive fuel pipeline that runs across the US. It takes approximately three weeks for fuel refined on the east coast to make it to the west coast.
A good example is:
Oil refined in the Marathon refinery in MI, is dumped into the pipeline (when I say pipeline, I mean a massive amount of pipes criss-crossing the US). Marathon is credited with x-number of gallons of fuel entered into the system. Meanwhile, the Shell refinery in MI may dump in x-number of gallons of fuel. This fuel may be pumped out at a depot where Shell trucks fill up. Shell is now debited with that exact amount of fuel pumped into the truck.
The additives, such as Techron are what makes the fuels different at each fuel pump.
This is a short way to describe the delivery of gasoline to service stations throughout the US.
This link shows the number of refineries in the US (does not label the owner) and shows the massive pipeline system.
Refinery/Pipeline System

Edited to answer the last sentence.
The raw gasoline you get at Kroger, Sam's Club, Walmart, etc., is the same as the raw gasoline that the Chevron/Texaco truck, or the BP/AMOCO truck, or the Shell truck ships to the local station; however, the additives (including the detergent additives) is not the same.
Most major car companies, have spent millions to research fuel as it is pumped at local stations. There is a remarkable difference between the additives in the fuel at Kroger versus the additives in the fuel at the local BP station.
Will this affect the fuel system or the performance? In a vehicle such as my Jeep Wrangler...no. However, in a performance car, I have seen differences. Primarily in my earlier days when driving supercharged vehicles. My Vette only gets BP/AMOCO or Exxon or Shell. Prefer BP/AMOCO, but the others will do. (Really prefer Chevron, but only know of one Chevron station in TN and that is out near Memphis.)
I do know that BP utilizes the same formulation as AMOCO used for years, and they decided to keep this formulation since it was rated quite high.
I too, wish the Chevron/Texaco question could be answered. However, I would guess that if Texaco was using the same formulation as Chevron, it would be advertised; at least in those states without Chevron stations. Chevron advertises the heck out of its use of Techron.
On a side note; a few years ago, GM researched the use of Techron as a top engine cleaner, and it was found out this was one of the best top engine cleaners on the market. In fact, about five years ago, I co-authored a technical bulletin for Saturn that required the use of Techron to clean the top cylinder heads on Saturn engine. It works, and it works great.

Last edited by WhiteC5Vette; 10-29-2004 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:40 AM
Hitchie
Intermediate

Get notified of new replies

To Texaco vs. Chevron

Old 10-30-2004, 12:38 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteC5Vette
Interesting but inaccurate. American Oil does not own those companies you listed. As for Shell and Sunoco being the two major refiners in this country...well, Chevron has the same number as both of those companies.
Chevron/Texaco are one company, and have refineries in Richmond, CA., Pascagoula, MS; and 10 other refineries in the US.
Exxon Mobil are one company, has 7 refineries in the US, 4 in Canada.
BP/AMOCO are one company, has 8 refineries in the US.
Shell has 8.
Sun Oil has 4.
Marathon has 2.
Conoco has 4.
Ashland has 1.
Hess has 2, and there are more.
This information is from an EPA document, dated 2002. There may a few that have closed; however, I do know there are no new ones in the US.
As for the gasoline that is derived from these refineries, it is all pumped into a massive fuel pipeline that runs across the US. It takes approximately three weeks for fuel refined on the east coast to make it to the west coast.
A good example is:
Oil refined in the Marathon refinery in MI, is dumped into the pipeline (when I say pipeline, I mean a massive amount of pipes criss-crossing the US). Marathon is credited with x-number of gallons of fuel entered into the system. Meanwhile, the Shell refinery in MI may dump in x-number of gallons of fuel. This fuel may be pumped out at a depot where Shell trucks fill up. Shell is now debited with that exact amount of fuel pumped into the truck.
The additives, such as Techron are what makes the fuels different at each fuel pump.
This is a short way to describe the delivery of gasoline to service stations throughout the US.
This link shows the number of refineries in the US (does not label the owner) and shows the massive pipeline system.
Refinery/Pipeline System

Edited to answer the last sentence.
The raw gasoline you get at Kroger, Sam's Club, Walmart, etc., is the same as the raw gasoline that the Chevron/Texaco truck, or the BP/AMOCO truck, or the Shell truck ships to the local station; however, the additives (including the detergent additives) is not the same.
Most major car companies, have spent millions to research fuel as it is pumped at local stations. There is a remarkable difference between the additives in the fuel at Kroger versus the additives in the fuel at the local BP station.
Will this affect the fuel system or the performance? In a vehicle such as my Jeep Wrangler...no. However, in a performance car, I have seen differences. Primarily in my earlier days when driving supercharged vehicles. My Vette only gets BP/AMOCO or Exxon or Shell. Prefer BP/AMOCO, but the others will do. (Really prefer Chevron, but only know of one Chevron station in TN and that is out near Memphis.)
I do know that BP utilizes the same formulation as AMOCO used for years, and they decided to keep this formulation since it was rated quite high.
I too, wish the Chevron/Texaco question could be answered. However, I would guess that if Texaco was using the same formulation as Chevron, it would be advertised; at least in those states without Chevron stations. Chevron advertises the heck out of its use of Techron.
On a side note; a few years ago, GM researched the use of Techron as a top engine cleaner, and it was found out this was one of the best top engine cleaners on the market. In fact, about five years ago, I co-authored a technical bulletin for Saturn that required the use of Techron to clean the top cylinder heads on Saturn engine. It works, and it works great.

Having been a past Amoco dealer I was required to learn the connections to American oil co. and I can assure you what I have stated is quite accurate.
Example: Amoco is Standard oil of Ind. out of it's home markting reigon.
Mobil is Standard oil of NJ., Chevron is Standard oil of Calif. etc. BP formaly known as British Petrolem Co. is Standard oil of Ohio.
They are all part of American Oil just split up on paper in the 1920's by the federal goverment to prevent monoplies.
Yes they do use some different additives in the different brands but it is all the same refinery's. And at the end of the day the profits end up in the same pockets of J.D. Rockafeller family.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:17 PM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Having been a past Amoco dealer I was required to learn the connections to American oil co. and I can assure you what I have stated is quite accurate.
Example: Amoco is Standard oil of Ind. out of it's home markting reigon.
Mobil is Standard oil of NJ., Chevron is Standard oil of Calif. etc. BP formaly known as British Petrolem Co. is Standard oil of Ohio.
They are all part of American Oil just split up on paper in the 1920's by the federal goverment to prevent monoplies.
Yes they do use some different additives in the different brands but it is all the same refinery's. And at the end of the day the profits end up in the same pockets of J.D. Rockafeller family.
BP is standard oil of Ohio?
I can see where you are coming from, it is part of history. However, history changes and what you learned is no longer true about the companies you are speaking about.
Most of these companies in question were started by J.D. Rockerfeller; however, they were separated before or after the 1911 Supreme Court decision (due to the Sherman Anti-Trust Law) to bust up the Rockerfeller trust.
However, BP is NOT and NEVER has been a product of the Rockerfeller Trust. Also, the money earned by these companies DOES NOT go into the same pocket at the end of the day.
BP/AMOCO is totally independent from Chevron/Texaco, and both are totally independent from Exxon/Mobil. They are three separate organizations.
BP's origins go back to May 1901, when a wealthy Englishman, William Knox D'Arcy, obtained a concession from the Shah of Persia to explore for and exploit the oil resources of the country, excluding the five northern provinces which bordered Russia.
BP and Standard Oil of Ohio were linked back in 1978, when BP sold its lease right to Prudhoe bay oil to Standard Oil of Ohio. For those rights, it attained 25% of Standard Oil of Ohio, and later, BP attained controlling interest in Standard Oil of Ohio.
AMOCO was formed in 1889 by Rockerfeller as Standard Oil of Indiana. In the trust breakup, standard oil of Indiana broke off from Standard Oil and became known as AMOCO.
In August, 1998, BP and AMOCO merged into one company. BP's headquarter are still in the UK, and they are a British Company.

Chevron was originally Coast Oil and became Standard Oil of CA (SOCAL) when it was acquired by the Rockerfeller conglomerate. It too was split off in 1911 and eventually, in 1979, combined all its operations under the name Chevron, and changed to Chevron Corporation when it merged with Gulf Oil. In 2000, Chevron and Texaco merged.

Exxon was formerly known as Standard oil of New Jersey (aka. Jersey Standard), and Mobil was Standard Oil of NY (aka Socony). In 1911 the US Supreme Court ordered a breakup of the Rockerfeller Trust, and so Jersey Standard and Socony were on their own. Later in life, Jersey Standard changed to Exxon, while Socony change to Socony Mobil and eventually just Mobil Oil Corporation.
In 1999 Exxon Mobil completed their merger and became Exxon/Mobil corporation.

Therefore, your history is somewhat ok; however, modern history is different. All these companies mentioned, as well as a few others, own their own refineries, the money goes to whatever particular corporation that owns the refinery.

For further information, you can check company histories via the Internet. I did for some of this information.

As for additives, there is a bigger variance in additives than most people realize. Some of this variation is the amount of additives, some of the variation is the different types of additives used (there are only x-number of additives that can be used). I believe there are approximately 95-100 different types of additives available for automotive fuel, others are available for aviation fuel, diesel fuel, etc.
I have personally worked with people who do nothing all day long but analyze fuel/oil/chemicals, and it is amazing the differences between fuel from Chevron, versus Shell (although the Shell information is probably different now), versus BP, etc.
Additives have many purposes, such as a flow improver, anti-oxidant, octane improver, oxygenate, lubricity improver, detergent, static electricity dissipater / electrical conductivity improver, dye, anti-knock agent, anti-haze, odourant, deposit control, cetane improver, pour point depressant, elemental sulphur mitigation, corrosion inhibitor, metal deactivator, hydrogen sulphide scavenger, mercaptan scavenger, stabilizer and anti-freeze.
To add confusion to the issue, many additives used, can be used for different purposes when mixed.

If you still want to believe that all of these companies are one in the same, I can't change your mind. If you stil insist that BP is not a British Company, I can't change your mind. It appears your mind is set, but again, if you need references, please contact the companies in question.

Have a great day, I'm out of here. Have to watch the Day of the Dead.

Last edited by WhiteC5Vette; 10-30-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Wisdom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"AMOCO was formed in 1989..."

For some reason I remember buying gas from AMOCO in either the Wash DC area or Boston area in the 1970's. The nature of the company may have changed in 1989, but the company itself existed well before that date.

- Wisdom

Quick Reply: Texaco vs. Chevron