Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for a M6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 01:26 PM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

according to MOBIL website, synt is a big improvement on the old dexron III, just check the link :

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...ntheticATF.asp
Old 10-30-2004, 03:12 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Well go ahead and switch but im telling you that the sychros and blocker rings do not like the synthetic fluids.

Here are a few quotes from my friends over at the f-body boards:

"You do not want to use synthetic oil in your transmission. They need slight friction to work and function properly and synthetic oil is just to slick for it. I have never heard of any transmission shop that used or recommended synthetic oil. If fact when I asked they said "Oh no....no synthetics, use regular oil." They recommended Penzoil ATF Dextron III. Thats what I use now. There are a few transmission builders in here that will tell you the same."

"in a six speed situation you only wanna run dexron III NON SYNTHETIC!! i personally run the valvoiline dexron III non synthetic in my M6 only cause i cant find any mobil 1 non synthetic ATF fluid"

"synthetic is a friction modifier and the m6 tranny syncros work on friction so you do the math"

"As far as synthetic, I stand by what I've said: it doesn't help anything, and the slippery characteristics are not conducive to synchros working properly."

"The lubricity of synthetic is a bit better than non-synth, and reducing friction between friction surface and the surface on the gear is not a good thing for synchros."

"Chuck, It's a FACT that the 98-00 tranny's came with paper fiber blocker rings. One thing you have not counted on is that some of these 98-00 trannys have been rebuilt or had those blocker rings replaced with the carbon fiber upgrades.It has come from people in the profession that the synthetics DO break down the paper fibers more quickly."

Well I can go on and on, but if you seriously want to use Synthetics in your tranny so be it. I used Mobile one synth ATF in my T-56 and will NEVER again use a synthetic fluid in the tranny.
Hope this helps.
JT
Our MN6s use ATF fluid (vs Manual Tranmission Oil) because it requires the friction properties of ATF to function properly as you stated. However the benefits of Synthetic are related to it's stability at all temperature ranges vs. non-synth, and the fact it meets Dexron III specifications would indicate it provides the same friction properties.

Not to argue against the feedback you've received, but there is a lot of quantitative data to support the performance benefits of synthetic ATF.

Royal Purple recommends their synthetic oil for the Camaro and Corvette with the Tremec T56 transmission. Custom performance shops that use the Tremec T56 fill it with synthetic (www.ddperfromance.com).

Hib Halverson, a very well respected corvette journalist, also recommends upgrading the tranny fluid to synthetic ATF (http://www.idavette.net/hib/C5diy/c5diy2.htm)

I think there's a lot of positive information out there to support the upgrade.

Last edited by JC in XTC5; 10-30-2004 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

I switched to Redline D4 ATF and never looked back. I would imagine that the Mobil stuff is good to go.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:52 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Well go ahead and switch but im telling you that the sychros and blocker rings do not like the synthetic fluids.

Here are a few quotes from my friends over at the f-body boards:

"You do not want to use synthetic oil in your transmission. They need slight friction to work and function properly and synthetic oil is just to slick for it. I have never heard of any transmission shop that used or recommended synthetic oil. If fact when I asked they said "Oh no....no synthetics, use regular oil." They recommended Penzoil ATF Dextron III. Thats what I use now. There are a few transmission builders in here that will tell you the same."

"in a six speed situation you only wanna run dexron III NON SYNTHETIC!! i personally run the valvoiline dexron III non synthetic in my M6 only cause i cant find any mobil 1 non synthetic ATF fluid"

"synthetic is a friction modifier and the m6 tranny syncros work on friction so you do the math"

"As far as synthetic, I stand by what I've said: it doesn't help anything, and the slippery characteristics are not conducive to synchros working properly."

"The lubricity of synthetic is a bit better than non-synth, and reducing friction between friction surface and the surface on the gear is not a good thing for synchros."

"Chuck, It's a FACT that the 98-00 tranny's came with paper fiber blocker rings. One thing you have not counted on is that some of these 98-00 trannys have been rebuilt or had those blocker rings replaced with the carbon fiber upgrades.It has come from people in the profession that the synthetics DO break down the paper fibers more quickly."

Well I can go on and on, but if you seriously want to use Synthetics in your tranny so be it. I used Mobile one synth ATF in my T-56 and will NEVER again use a synthetic fluid in the tranny.
Hope this helps.
JT

This man is correct. Many shops know about the problems. Mobil-1 ATF ate up my blocking rings in 9k miles on my '01 MN6. The dealer tore down the tranny and knew I had used synthetics. You also do not want to use syn. oil in A4s. FWIW.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:57 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you BHP, finally someone else that knows what im talking about.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paladin
I switched to Redline D4 ATF and never looked back. I would imagine that the Mobil stuff is good to go.

Redline specifically reccomends thier D4 ATF for the T56 transmission. mine has 50K hard miles and is shifting better than new with Redline.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:22 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Thank you BHP, finally someone else that knows what im talking about.
If you say so....
Old 10-31-2004, 12:08 AM
Vetteran
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Piranha
What:
Dexron III rated ATF is what to use in MN6.

Who's:
Brand depends on preference, but I replaced mine with Amsoil.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have examined the synchros and blocker rings! The material on the faces of the synchros and blockers are "EXACTLY" like the friction material on Automatic Trans bands and clutches! As long as you use dextron III or compatable fluids you will be fine!! The Mobil ATF synthitic "IS" dextron III compatable. If you switch, you will be HAPPY!!
Old 10-31-2004, 08:01 PM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with Amsoil ATF!! It is Dexron III
Old 10-31-2004, 11:28 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Here's some additional info I found on one of the Ford sites (hold on - it discusses F-Bodys and GM) regarding the T56 transmission. If confirms that paper blocking rings were used, but in 1997 the design was changed to carbon fiber. The source of the info was reported to be from a Tremec T56 techician.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=9419

"THE Word" on 1998-2002 Manual Tranny Lubricant
The question about whether one should run synthetic ATF or even a non-ATF gear lube in the f-body's Borg-Warner/Tremac 6-speed tranny has been bouncing around. Mark DeCarlo, co-organizer of CNYF, has tracked down the answer. Mark reports....

"I spoke with the T-56 expert at Tremec. He said that the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is an excellent choice for the T-56, PROVIDED that the T-56 is a 1997 model or newer.

DO NOT run the synthetic ATF in the pre-1997 T-56 units. It will destroy the paper on the blocker rings. And do not run it in a manual trans with brass blocker rings either, because it will ruin those also.

Tremec changed the blocker rings to the carbon fiber type for the 1997 model year and synthetic ATF will not degrade these.

I asked about the GM SynchroMesh and he said it was good, but not quite as good as the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. The SynchroMesh fluid comes in the Tremec 3550.

He said you should have no problems running the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the T-56.

Notice how I keep saying "Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF". He said stay away from the other aftermarket racing type synthetics, as they have extra additives that can degrade components.

I asked about the Castrol Syntorq gear lube. He said you could use it (and they used to in the Viper), but you will encounter hard shift in cold weather and cold clash.

I asked if GM would honor the warranty if something were to happen to the trans while the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF was installed and he said they would.

But the one thing I would like to point out; just because a bottle says that it supercedes a different product, doesn't make it necessarily so. If someone had grabbed the bottle of synthetic ATF and read that it meets and exceeds all dino ATF specs; and then installed it in their pre-1997 F-body, it would have ruined the box. So don't believe everything you read."

So C5s should be OK as they would have the newer blocker ring design.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Paladin

I've seen Redline D4 ATF improve the shifting in both my 04 vert and my buddy's Z06. Great stuff, I also use it in my 6 spd tow vehicle.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:26 PM
ecook
Racer

Originally Posted by JC in XTC5
Here's some additional info I found on one of the Ford sites (hold on - it discusses F-Bodys and GM) regarding the T56 transmission. If confirms that paper blocking rings were used, but in 1997 the design was changed to carbon fiber. The source of the info was reported to be from a Tremec T56 techician.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=9419

"THE Word" on 1998-2002 Manual Tranny Lubricant
The question about whether one should run synthetic ATF or even a non-ATF gear lube in the f-body's Borg-Warner/Tremac 6-speed tranny has been bouncing around. Mark DeCarlo, co-organizer of CNYF, has tracked down the answer. Mark reports....

"I spoke with the T-56 expert at Tremec. He said that the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is an excellent choice for the T-56, PROVIDED that the T-56 is a 1997 model or newer.

DO NOT run the synthetic ATF in the pre-1997 T-56 units. It will destroy the paper on the blocker rings. And do not run it in a manual trans with brass blocker rings either, because it will ruin those also.

Tremec changed the blocker rings to the carbon fiber type for the 1997 model year and synthetic ATF will not degrade these.

I asked about the GM SynchroMesh and he said it was good, but not quite as good as the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. The SynchroMesh fluid comes in the Tremec 3550.

He said you should have no problems running the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the T-56.

Notice how I keep saying "Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF". He said stay away from the other aftermarket racing type synthetics, as they have extra additives that can degrade components.

I asked about the Castrol Syntorq gear lube. He said you could use it (and they used to in the Viper), but you will encounter hard shift in cold weather and cold clash.

I asked if GM would honor the warranty if something were to happen to the trans while the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF was installed and he said they would.

But the one thing I would like to point out; just because a bottle says that it supercedes a different product, doesn't make it necessarily so. If someone had grabbed the bottle of synthetic ATF and read that it meets and exceeds all dino ATF specs; and then installed it in their pre-1997 F-body, it would have ruined the box. So don't believe everything you read."

So C5s should be OK as they would have the newer blocker ring design.
Ok I want to switch to synthetic ATF because I recieved Tranny temp warning when I was at Sebring for the first time an wanted to see if this would keep the temps down. CAN I USE THIS IN MY A4???
Old 11-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If your getting temp warnings you need to install a trans cooler!!! It will keep your trans from burning up! Heat is BAD for your A4!!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:43 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ecook
Ok I want to switch to synthetic ATF because I recieved Tranny temp warning when I was at Sebring for the first time an wanted to see if this would keep the temps down. CAN I USE THIS IN MY A4???
AMSOIL Synthetic ATF meets the GM requirements for the C5 A4. You can check which AMSOIL products meet manufacturer's requirements for your specific vehicle here:
AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide

In addition, for the AMSOIL products listed on the above guide as recommended for a particular vehicle, AMSOIL will warranty its products. The actual warranty can be found on a link at the bottom of the AMSOIL corporate website:
AMSOIL Corporate Homepage

AMSOIL preferred customers save about 20%. Cost is only $10 per six months. Please use customer number 1206638 to ensure sales are credited to my dealership and hence benefit this site. Thanks.
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 11-03-2004, 10:16 AM
ecook
Racer

Originally Posted by BHP
This man is correct. Many shops know about the problems. Mobil-1 ATF ate up my blocking rings in 9k miles on my '01 MN6. The dealer tore down the tranny and knew I had used synthetics. You also do not want to use syn. oil in A4s. FWIW.
I am official confused-- some say do--- some say don't-- dealer said they have not heard of any adverse effects using Synthetic ATF as long as it is Dextron 111.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 PM
mlapd
Intermediate

Default Go to this link:

I just switched mine out to M/O Synthetic tonight and also M/O LS for my Diff. I have a 2007 C6 with 26000 on it. I used to get a catch going into 4th or 5th. As soon as I took it out after the change is shifted smooth as a baby's bottom. No hang ups at all.

Go to this link:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ollection.aspx

All the questions we are asking are there and answered for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for a M6?

Old 03-08-2011, 03:06 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been using Mobile 1 ATF for the last two years and 35K miles on my 2000 M6 C5, with no issues whatsoever. Meets DextronIII specs. I guess if I was going to have blocker issues, it would have happened by now. The car now has over 66K on it and no issues.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Originally Posted by Midwest Vette
The mn6 transmission uses dexron 3 atf. As long as it meets the dexron 3 specs you should be fine.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 PM
mlapd
Intermediate

I'm just curious? Reading through some other threads on this subject, how can you tell if your synchros or blockers or your transmission is functioning correctly or not with the synthetic fluid installed? Not being funny, but how can you tell? Some people who swear the synthetic fluid is screwing up thier transmission. Just don't know?

Lap

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for a M6?