Sponsored by:

I got my AVIC put in..........

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 10:41 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Default I got my AVIC put in..........

I posted this in the audio section too, and since it's a general C5 topic, I thought it'd be alright to post it here too. If it's not, then would the mods make it disappear please. Well, on with the show!

I had an AVIC N1 installed Friday, and am I glad that I didn't try to install it. It took the installer 9 hours to hook everything up. The guy that did it does Ferrari's, Lambo's, and Michael Jordan's cars. If I'd have tried it, it'd be a mess and would take me probably a week (that's being generous on my part).

Anyhow, here's some pics, as I know that it's not proper forum etiquette to post without them. It's a cool system, and I had a Private Screening of Bad Boys in the car. I guess that I took going to the Drive-in one step further!

I'd Really like to Thank VrumVrum (Mike) for his patience and for putting up with all of my e-mails. Also for making such a cool mount. My installer was impressed with it, and complimented me for having such a cool piece. That was quite a compliment! to you Mike!

Anyway, enough blabbering, here's the pics:

Screen Closed

Back-up camera picture

DVD Navigation screen with the drivers view, which is Very Cool.

Another DVD Nav screen pic.

Private Screening

Preview 2

Here's where he mounted the remote for the Voice Navigation control.

What really surprised me is how well this works. I'm literally like a kid with a new toy. The bad thing is that the learning curve on this is HUGE, but I'm getting it figured out.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:56 PM
USA-VET
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Looks good
Old 10-31-2004, 12:55 AM
djburkeen
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great, i have been thinking about getting on these myself. i love the mount too, wouldnt think of putting in an aftermarket system without it.

seeing yours, i may have to go ahead and take the plunge.

if you dont mind me asking where did you buy the unit and how much?
Old 10-31-2004, 01:12 AM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by djburkeen
looks great, i have been thinking about getting on these myself. i love the mount too, wouldnt think of putting in an aftermarket system without it.

seeing yours, i may have to go ahead and take the plunge.

if you dont mind me asking where did you buy the unit and how much?
Thanks for the props guys!

I ended up buying mine at Tweeters, as I wanted to make sure that I got it from an authorized Pioneer dealer. I could've gotten it cheaper on the internet, but sometimes getting it cheaper might end up costing more in the long run if something goes wrong with it. I talked them down 10% off the top, and bought a 3 year warranty on it that covers all of the parts for breakage, scratching, even wear and tear. Their installer is Phenominal, and was impressed with VrumVrum's mount, which I'd say is hard to do for a person who's been doing audio for 25+ years. So that's saying something for VrumVrum's work.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm pretty excited to have it, as it's a REALLLLLY cool system that does ALOT! I'd say that if you're on the fence about getting one, then take a ride to a shop that's got one set up and play with it.. That's what I did, and I was sold.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:45 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

That looks awesome. At this point, that's the system I want for my car. Can you provide some more details for the mount? Like, where can I get one? The install looks very nice. Post back with some impressions after you've tried it out for bit.

Paul
Old 10-31-2004, 06:47 AM
SlideRulz
Burning Brakes

Looks GREAT
Old 10-31-2004, 09:15 AM
boatboatboat
Drifting

where did you get the mount around the head unit?

I also had the remote on the wheel,just like you did, and ended up just taking it off. IMO more of a pain, then reaching over.

Did you do the voice command? I did........that is way cool.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:21 AM
SmokeyTirez
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VERY awesome. I've been looking at the AVIC for a while and this really helps to sell me on it.

Problem is, just from the responses in this thread that means there are that many people I know about who will likely have the same setup. Now I probably have to go find something else! lol Doubt I really will though. The AVIC is simply the most bad-azz all-in-one system you can get nowadays.

Good job. Have fun! Take some shots of the gauges screen once you get past the calibration point.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:27 AM
boatboatboat
Drifting

I took a 2000k trip from Ohio to Niagra falls, (the Canadian side) back into the U.S. up through New York, then to Vermont and New Hampshire, and then back home again across PA. I never looked at a paper map.

The unit was GREAT. It did have the # on a few exits wrong, but it STILL knew where and when I should turn, and the highway #.

When you pick a route you can pick a route that travels all county roads, so that you can avoid highway. I did this for 100 miles in Vermont. One of the best drives I have ever had, ripping across the county side, without a 2nd thought about getting lost.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:28 AM
tmcclaff
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Looks Great Enjoy!
Old 10-31-2004, 09:33 AM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks really good. This is somthing that I've thought about for a while. Really nice mount also!!
Old 10-31-2004, 09:52 AM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 125 Posts

Looks good.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:24 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by kv397
Looks good.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:34 AM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Thanks Guys!

The mount is made by forum name VrumVrum. His e-mail is: mstanzel@flamingpaperbag.com

It's a VERY high quality piece and Mike is a Great guy to deal with and has the patience of a saint (I pretty much tested that with the amount of questions that I had and the amount of e-mails that I sent). Here's a website with pictures of his mounts. I'd have to say that they look even better in real.

VrumVrum head unit mounts

I have to say again that if you want a Navigation system, then this is definitely worth the time to look at. I'd recommend going to a Pioneer dealer and playing with one (but BEWARE because then you'll really want it )

My vehicle dynamics was ready to go when I got home, but I didn't know how to use it. I sat in the garage for almost two hours playing with it, and set the dynamics so that it displays speed, forward acceleration, and side acceleration. Now I just have to get out and use it. It also has a setting to hold the peaks so that at a glance you can tell what the highest recordings were.

Last edited by FreddyG; 10-31-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:38 AM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Looks !
Where did they mount the rear camera and what brand is it?
I have mine on all most all the time. Very cool option.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:45 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Love the mounting plate. looks very impressive.

I fitted mine a few weeks ago and I just love it. I think you may have made the bset move by getting it installed. I succeeded but there were a few tense moments. I also started off with the remote on the wheel but I couldn't get used to it. I took it off as well and just reach over to switch modes. Having trouble with the machine understanding my Brit accent. I need to develop a local drawl!

The main problem I had was getting the new Corvette background to display. took me a while before I cracked the problem. looks good now though.

Glad you like the AVIC! Overall the system is a lot for the price and the nav accuary is fantastic.

Get notified of new replies

To I got my AVIC put in..........

Old 10-31-2004, 11:47 AM
boatboatboat
Drifting

DEE GEE I also have problems with the voice command not understanding. I have to say "back" alot.

I also don't care for the ***** to tune the radio station and volume.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:51 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by boatboatboat
DEE GEE I also have problems with the voice command not understanding. I have to say "back" alot.

I also don't care for the ***** to tune the radio station and volume.
Most of the PC based systems have a training mode but I guess not with this one. New destination takes me to the Gas Station every time!!

Still, it's a massive improvement over the stock radio.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:56 AM
boatboatboat
Drifting

LUVMYC5 which of those plates did you use? He should IMO get a way to have thumbnails of all his products on one page. That is a PITA to go to each pic.

How hard would it be for me, to remove my plate the installer used and put his on?

Cost?

Quick Reply: I got my AVIC put in..........