Old 12-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Crash99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5stein
Hey Tom Steel,
These wheels were not made by GM.

BWP 5P,
The paper work coming with the reproduction wheels do say "For Highway use only" or they will offer a structural warranty with the caviot "Warranty Void if used "off road" or for Racing"

I tell all of my customers that they should not use reproduction cast wheels for track or Auto-X use.

Even a set of factory original 97-99 none chrome wagon wheels that are 1" narower would be better than wider cast reproduction wheels that can jepordize everything. Wagon wheels are dirt cheap @ $100 each (or less) and you can run 18 x 9.5s front and rear. So if you are on a tight budget, then that is your best solution. If you have a bit more dough, then a Factory set of Z06 rims, not chromed, can be had for about $1000.
Mark:

Interestingly I didn't get the "paper work coming with the reproduction wheels" that "say 'For Highway use only'" when I bought my wheel. I assume this isn't the case with the factory wheels.

I have decided to get a set of track-only wheels (and keep the chrome repros on the car for everyday driving). I can buy a set of wheels off an 03 Z for $750 in great shape. I would then buy a set of tires for track only. Do you think the 710's are the best choice as far as cost/performance. Will the 710's fit the Z wheels w/o problems (275/40-17's & 315/35-18's)? What other reasonable tires are available for these size wheels?

Are there better size tires available if I go to different rims? 315's on a 10.5 inch rim seems like a little much...

If I bought 4 of the same size wheel and tire (say, 18 x 10.5") couldn't I maximize the life of the tires by rotating fronts and rears? Would this save me more in the long run? (Are V710's unidirectional left and right?) Any issues running these wheels on the fronts with 295's?

Also, I might have to take you up on your offer to bring the wheels to T-Hill for me until I can justify a trailer!!

Sorry for all of the questions but I can only buy rims once and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks,

Crash
Old 12-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Crash99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tom Steel,

BWP 5P,
The paper work coming with the reproduction wheels do say "For Highway use only" or they will offer a structural warranty with the caviot "Warranty Void if used "off road" or for Racing"

I tell all of my customers that they should not use reproduction cast wheels for track or Auto-X use.

Even a set of factory original 97-99 none chrome wagon wheels that are 1" narower would be better than wider cast reproduction wheels that can jepordize everything. Wagon wheels are dirt cheap @ $100 each (or less) and you can run 18 x 9.5s front and rear. So if you are on a tight budget, then that is your best solution. If you have a bit more dough, then a Factory set of Z06 rims, not chromed, can be had for about $1000.
Mark:

Interestingly I didn't get the "paper work coming with the reproduction wheels" that "say 'For Highway use only'" when I bought my wheel. I assume this isn't the case with the factory wheels.

I have decided to get a set of track-only wheels (and keep the chrome repros on the car for everyday driving). I can buy a set of wheels off an 03 Z for $750 in great shape. I would then buy a set of tires for track only. Do you think the 710's are the best choice as far as cost/performance. Will the 710's fit the Z wheels w/o problems (275/40-17's & 315/35-18's)? What other reasonable tires are available for these size wheels?

Are there better size tires available if I go to different rims? 315's on a 10.5 inch rim seems like a little much...

If I bought 4 of the same size wheel and tire (say, 18 x 10.5") couldn't I maximize the life of the tires by rotating fronts and rears? Would this save me more in the long run? (Are V710's unidirectional left and right?) Any issues running these wheels on the fronts with 295's?

Also, I might have to take you up on your offer to bring the wheels to T-Hill for me until I can justify a trailer!!

Sorry for all of the questions but I can only buy rims once and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks,

Crash
Old 12-05-2004, 12:58 AM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Tom Steele,
Thanks but (and correct me if I am wrong) weren't there some comments/links to stories about factory wheels doing the same thing?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...wheels+cracked

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...wheels+cracked

Old 12-05-2004, 06:29 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crash99
Mark:

Sorry Crash, My fault, those little warranty pieces of paper are usually packed in the box and end up getting tosses when the guy mounts the tires. Gm touts the Z06 as a factory built, street legal race car and I have never heard of any caviots to such use of the car or wheels. There are alot of SCCA showroom stock racers running Z06 wheels on their race cars[/I]
As I said , I personally haven't seen any factory original, uncromed Z06 wheels break other than when involved in a wreck. I have personally bent two of them and there were no signs of cracking nor fatigue (Durring off road excursions). IMHO The Kumho 710 is the most awesome DOT track tire going and the sizes you listed are optimumly sized for the Z06/C5 by Kumho tire engineers. The fronts and rears actually wear at close to the same rate so rotating the tires isn't necessary. Again IMHO if you track a C5 similarly equipted to your car, running the same size front and rear will tend to make the car over- steer. (Are V710's unidirectional left and right?) Any issues running these wheels on the fronts with 295's?

295x18s are not available in the V710, nor are they unidrectional.

No problem hauling your tires Crash, I should be posting our tentative track schedule for next year in the next month or so. The game plan is to run all the Trackmasters, NCRC, Unlimited Laps and Speed Ventures track days that are held at T-hill, Reno/Fernley and Sears Point, plus some at Laguna Seca. (there wouild be a very small charge for this service, to help absorb some of the trailering expenses)
I hope this helps

Last edited by C5stein; 12-05-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:55 PM
abigfoot
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Default wheels

Dont' go to the track, If I did , I would use the wagon wheels it came with.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:49 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm rummimg OEM Z06 wheels that have been chromed. Thanks for the heads up, I will watch the spokes.

Quick Reply: Warning to Z06 Chrome Wheel Users!!!