Sponsored by:

Recommended Oil Change Interval????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:03 AM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Back in the late 50’s and early 60’s, our family lived in a MI neighborhood where there were Ford executives. One of the executives was driving a passenger ford for several years and never changed his oil. Just the filter. He added new oil when necessary. Then after several years, the engine was taken out of his car and compared with one that was driven about the same mileage with oil and filter changes that were recommended at that time. I remember talking to him having just purchase my first car and he said the Ford mechanics did not find any measurable wear between the two engines. I also remember him saying oil does not wear out, it just gets dirty. Is this ?
Definitely . Oil builds up acidity over time which can do damage. That's one of the reasons why the owners manual states to change your oil when the OLM states or one year, whichever comes first.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:35 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by friou
Phone? I'm from the 2 cans and a waxed string generation. Working my way up to the bag phone! Y'all have a good one!
Yep, me too. My kids and grandchildren always are teasing me because I do not have a smart phone. I still have a flip 'dumb' phone for those rare occasions that I need to talk to someone when I am not at home.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:45 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteBob52
...Does the computer base your oil life and changing on miles or the actual condition of your oil ? I'm guessing it's the Condition of the oil actually in the engine. Here's why I believe this: My DIC tells me what my oil life percentage is left and when to actually change it, here's the twist, One time it's at 3,000 miles and another it's at 4,500 and still another came at 7,200 miles between oil change life. That leads me to believe that there is an oil condition sensor somewhere in the engine...CorvetteBob
There is no "oil condition sensor" anywhere in the engine. As I understand it there is a software algorithm which uses several of the existing sensor inputs, of which mileage is not the most significant, to determine how the engine is being "used" at any given point in time. The software continually reduces the oil life based on these inputs. I have no idea of the specifics of the sensed input parameters, but do know that GM spent many years and dollars developing this system, and I for one am confident in it.

The reason you are seeing different mileages for your oil change cycles is due to the way you have driven the car during that cycle.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:45 PM
novasscnc
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

All my vehicles when the odometer is multiples of 5000 km I change
Old 06-17-2016, 02:01 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

On mine multiples of 5k miles.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:21 PM
CorvetteBob52
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by roscoe118
There is no "oil condition sensor" anywhere in the engine. As I understand it there is a software algorithm which uses several of the existing sensor inputs, of which mileage is not the most significant, to determine how the engine is being "used" at any given point in time. The software continually reduces the oil life based on these inputs. I have no idea of the specifics of the sensed input parameters, but do know that GM spent many years and dollars developing this system, and I for one am confident in it.

The reason you are seeing different mileages for your oil change cycles is due to the way you have driven the car during that cycle.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense too, Like I said, I'm no rocket scientist
Old 06-18-2016, 03:24 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by sharpvet03
I change mine every fall before I store it for the winter,it usually has around 2k on the oil-I know it is a little stupid but it is a small price to pay for peace of mind and the oil is still a year old...
me too on my 02

Quick Reply: Recommended Oil Change Interval????