Sponsored by:

[Z06] 50 States emissions????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Yelo Y2K
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50 States emissions????

I'm trying to buy a new 2004 Z06 from a dealer in Seattle area.
I live in California and the dealer told me that his car was a 49 state car and therefore not legal in California.

I was under the impression that all 2004 C5's were smogged as 50 state (Ca.) legal.

Any insight out there?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2005, 09:25 PM
pdvale
Burning Brakes

All Vettes since 2001 have been California cars. The dealer just needs to look at little harder at the emissions sticker.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Yelo Y2K
Intermediate

Thank you. My window of opportunity just got bigger.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:57 AM
Scott04Z
Burning Brakes

Location: I'm not quite middle aged and I only own one gold chain! San Jose CA

Originally Posted by Yelo Y2K
I live in California and the dealer told me that his car was a 49 state car and therefore not legal in California.

I was under the impression that all 2004 C5's were smogged as 50 state (Ca.) legal.

Any insight out there?

Thanks
I bought my 04 Z06 out of state too. What they require is that the emission sticker in the engine bay state specifically that the car is designed for California emissions. The word California must be on the sticker...if a car is 50 states legal but doesn't name California then the lovely folks at C.A.R.B. won't allow you to register it.

Luckily for you, and me, the sticker on the Vettes do say 50 states and also California smog approved. Sounds like your dealer needs to learn a bit more about his product and also how to read!

The sticker is on the drivers side just to the inside the fender well...easy to spot when the hood is open.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Morzoff
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott04Z
I bought my 04 Z06 out of state too. What they require is that the emission sticker in the engine bay state specifically that the car is designed for California emissions. The word California must be on the sticker...if a car is 50 states legal but doesn't name California then the lovely folks at C.A.R.B. won't allow you to register it.

Luckily for you, and me, the sticker on the Vettes do say 50 states and also California smog approved. Sounds like your dealer needs to learn a bit more about his product and also how to read!

The sticker is on the drivers side just to the inside the fender well...easy to spot when the hood is open.

Good luck with your purchase!

I also bought mine out of state. "ALL" vette's say 50 State and California Legal
Old 01-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Vettez16
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Morzoff]
I also bought mine out of state. "ALL" vette's say 50 State and California Legal [/QUOTE

Mine said it right on the window sticker. This is another reason why our car is staved for air and why custom tune is so popular. These mods simply put back on the table what Ca took away. The General has never said tuning is bad for the car, they simply say nothing! Gee I wonder why.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Yelo Y2K
Intermediate

Default Research

Thanks for the replies. I checked with my smog guy and he also confirmed what everyone is saying. I checked my 2000 and the words Ca. OBD are there. Think I'll take a digital picture and send it the the dealer. Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Yelo Y2K
Intermediate

Default Research

Thanks for the replies. I checked with my smog guy and he also confirmed what everyone is saying. I checked my 2000 and the words Ca. OBD are there. Think I'll take a digital picture and send it the the dealer. Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:39 AM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Bringing a car into California

I wanted to bring a car into California too, from out of state. The won't let you register it unless, it Federal Certified and has 7500 or more miles on the vechile. Unless the car has a California emission label on it then it can have under 7500 miles on it. You can check with California smog laws at www.arb.ca.gov, or call 1-800-242-4450.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:27 AM
OilFieldGuy
Instructor

Default Time to move?

I know the weather is great there but how do you guys put up with all the gruff in that state? Wow.

Goodluck.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:57 AM
S1K C5
Instructor

I'm in the process of buying an out of state Z06. ( i live in cali also) Is there a way around the state tax?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by S1K C5
I'm in the process of buying an out of state Z06. ( i live in cali also) Is there a way around the state tax?

You could steal the car.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:47 PM
S1K C5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shylor
You could steal the car.
are you 10 years old?

case closed.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by S1K C5
are you 10 years old?

case closed.

Sorry for trying to lighten things up a bit. Then the answer is NO, you can't get around paying the CA state tax. I agree it's stupid because we don't have to pay CA tax on other items bought outside the state.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:18 AM
Boomer 2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Yelo Y2K

Any insight out there?

Thanks
And you would believe a car dealer, about anything, for what reason???? Sounds like another highly trained, well educated, corvette sales executive.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Yelo Y2K
Intermediate

Default Success

Thanks to the digital world I have educated myself and the dealer via the internet.

The Ca DMV web site has a section dedicated to buying new and used cars out of state and then registering it in Ca.

The new car thread gives a picture of a 50 stated FEDERAL emissions sticker and a 50 STATES and CALIFORNIA legal sticker. Guess that makes Ca the 51st state.

I had two dealers, one in the northwest and one in Detroit area tell me that their car was not Ca legal. I don't know if they even checked.

I am now buying the car in another snow bound state. Our conversation started with "could you go to the car and read to me the words on the smog sticker". He did and the word California was utttered. I then asked for a couple digital pictures which I received ten minutes later. Still a little paranoid about CARB I took the picture to the DMV and they nodded their heads yes. After all my research when I went to the DMV the nice lady handed me all the forms and she also had a copy of the 50 state and 50 + Ca legal sticker. Should have started there instead of 2 weeks of frustration.

Buying the car next week. The Ca DMV website was very useful. the DMV lady was more so.

The moral of the story is: if you don't see the "CALIFORNIA" and 50 states Federal the car must have 7500 miles in order to be registered in Ca.

If someone out there not in CA or Mass could take a picture of there smog sticker that does not say California and email me, I would appreciate it. Thanks baplewis@charter.net
Old 01-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Yelo Y2K
Intermediate

Default Success in buying outside CA

Thanks to the digital world I have educated myself and the dealer via the internet.

The Ca DMV web site has a section dedicated to buying new and used cars out of state and then registering it in Ca.

The new car thread gives a picture of a 50 stated FEDERAL emissions sticker and a 50 STATES and CALIFORNIA legal sticker. Guess that makes Ca the 51st state.

I had two dealers, one in the northwest and one in Detroit area tell me that their car was not Ca legal. I don't know if they even checked.

I am now buying the car in another snow bound state. Our conversation started with "could you go to the car and read to me the words on the smog sticker". He did and the word California was utttered. I then asked for a couple digital pictures which I received ten minutes later. Still a little paranoid about CARB I took the picture to the DMV and they nodded their heads yes. After all my research when I went to the DMV the nice lady handed me all the forms and she also had a copy of the 50 state and 50 + Ca legal sticker. Should have started there instead of 2 weeks of frustration.

Buying the car next week. The Ca DMV website was very useful. the DMV lady was more so.

The moral of the story is: if you don't see the "CALIFORNIA" and 50 states Federal the car must have 7500 miles in order to be registered in Ca.

If someone out there not in CA or Mass could take a picture of there smog sticker that does not say California and email me, I would appreciate it. Thanks baplewis@charter.net

Get notified of new replies

To 50 States emissions????

Old 01-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Yelo Y2K
Intermediate

Default Success in buying outside CA

The moral of the story is: if any car that you purchase outside of California does not have the word "CALIFORNIA" and 50 states Federal the car must have 7500 miles in order to be registered in Ca.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:48 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

All Corvettes since the LT1 was introduced have been 50 state legal without the need for any type of differing emissions equipment. The LSx engines are no different, else they would have smog pumps or other items.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:19 AM
SDWYZ C5
Racer

I bought a 2000 C5 that did not have CA emissions and had no probem registering it here in CA. I bought it in CO. I would buy out of state without hesitation. Just make sure it is not a "new car".

Quick Reply: [Z06] 50 States emissions????