Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

FS: Performance Lower Shifter Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by TMODcustoms
Always like to hear more feedback.
———-
I installed your shifter box about 6 weeks ago and wanted to give it a real workout before giving feedback. Bottom line, I think it’s probably the best value mod I’ve made. For $125, it’s an absolute bargain. Clearly a quality, well made part. The shifter box it replaced was not junk. I installed new bushings and adjusted and lubed it a couple of times. Now shifts are smoother, less notchy with the TMODCustoms shifter box and a weird vibration in 2nd gear around 2000 rpm disappeared. Reverse is easier to find now too. Since installing the TMODCustoms box, I felt encouraged to try some other shifter mods. I already had a TPS 427 C6 Z06 shifter threaded for the C5, but added the “Anti Venom” mod with two washers from the git-go. Last week, I added a heavy weight shift **** (470 grams) that’s supposed to smooth out the shifts too. Now, I’m very happy with the way it shifts and have no plans for any other shifter mods.

Last edited by Mickeyrx70; 07-19-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:25 PM
edram454
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

what is involved in replacing this lower box. I replaced my stock shifter with a fidanza billet unit upper. I dont seem to remember what I saw at the bottom. can I do it right from the front seat like I did the shifter?? thanks. interested. ed.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:57 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 173 Likes on 132 Posts

Replacing the box is pretty simple. You remove the console just like you did to replace the stock shifter, pull the upper shifter, then it's only three more bolts. When you pull the upper portion, make sure the car is parked in neutral with the parking brake set. Then the two bolts in the torque tube bushings and one to the rear that goes thru the linkage. That's it.

Shoot me an email and I'll get you taken care of.

Originally Posted by edram454
what is involved in replacing this lower box. I replaced my stock shifter with a fidanza billet unit upper. I dont seem to remember what I saw at the bottom. can I do it right from the front seat like I did the shifter?? thanks. interested. ed.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:33 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Before and after shaft refinishing. One of the many steps that cores go thru before they are finished units, lubed up and ready to be installed.

Last edited by TMODcustoms; 07-08-2018 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Pics
Old 07-15-2018, 05:05 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

TONS of boxes going out this week, thanks everybody!
Old 07-15-2018, 01:01 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I wanted to leave a review of my experience.

I purchased a 2003 Z06 with around 75,000 miles on it. During the PPI the mechanic made note the shifter was terrible and might need a rebuild. I purchased a low mileage 2013 ZR1 shifter assembly. That shifter assembly only had 13,000 miles. I installed this setup and still had some issues. I even went as far as changing the ATF in the transmission and doing the antivenom mod. Shifting action was still not great.

I finally sent off my stock Z06 shifter box and had it rebuilt by TMODCustomz. I installed this yesterday and went on a long test drive today. The car after it was warmed up did great. I can easily get into reverse and shifting action is much improved. It feels like the modified rebuilt box has a slight spring action in it. That really helps with the shifting motion.

TL;DR=Box makes a difference and fixed my shifting problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by billy mild:
IRON MAIDEN (07-15-2018), TMODcustoms (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 03:28 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

TL;DR=Box makes a difference and fixed my shifting problems.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-27-2018, 03:41 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by ljw
Add me to the list of satisfied customers. I installed the box this last weekend and I couldn't be happier. Great product and communication.
We love happy customers!
Old 07-29-2018, 12:12 AM
amemyarz
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Such positive reviews. I just installed a C6 top half. I will be emailing you in a few weeks once I get my audio situation cleared!
Old 07-29-2018, 06:18 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

As soon as it uploads I'll share this quick video on a low mileage, very good condition lower box and feedback from the happy customer who changed it out for my our box.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:01 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Shoot me an email I'll put you on the list, it's about ten days out right now .

Originally Posted by amemyarz
Such positive reviews. I just installed a C6 top half. I will be emailing you in a few weeks once I get my audio situation cleared!
The following users liked this post:
amemyarz (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 12:01 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Old 08-03-2018, 11:44 AM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Default Z06 box

I have a bunch of Z06 boxes!!! If anyone wants to upgrade to a Z06 box, even if your core is not a Z06, let me know.
Hey Tom
hmmm...what is the advantage or disadvantage of the Z06 "upgrade" from basic C5 box?
...any difference in cost???

Either way....I will be sending PayPal today as we discussed!
...Accordingly, Im going to pay core cost so that I get to continue driving on the infrequent remaining clear days in Michigan

Thanks
Stu
Old 08-03-2018, 11:57 AM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Funds sent

You've got PayPal....
Old 08-03-2018, 10:11 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by StuzVette
You've got PayPal....
Sweet, Got it, thanks Stu!

INFO ON BUSHING SELECTION

As far as the difference between the Z06 and non-Z boxes goes, the Z has solid bushings, they make for a more stiff \ firm feeling shift that a lot of people like. The trade off is that they do not dampen vibration like the non-Z boxes do. From the factory all non-Z boxes have rubber bushings. These are the bushings that mount the box to the Torque Tube, not the bushings that the shaft rides on. These shaft bushings wear out over time, that't why I replace them with actual bearings.

Back to Torque Tube Bushings. . . The factory Torque Tube Bushings are what mounts the box to the car (on the torque tube) . Factory rubber bushings wear out in as little as 12,0000 miles... yeah, 12K who doesn't have 12k on their car.... I have two options, Delrin which is a harder plastic like material that handles high temperatures, etc. It's fantastic, it feels very similar to the solid mounted bushings of the Z06 box, but they do dampen vibration a bit more. The other option I offer is Polyurethane. My Poly bushings are made from the best poly you can get. They are everything proof, made out of the same thing other bushings, suspension bushings, etc are made from. They are softer than Delrin thus they dampen vibration the best. Poly is the option you want if you want to retain more of a stock feel or if for some reason your having some vibration issues down the line that you would like to help cover up.

Because I cover every part of the box for a lifetime, if you do ever wear out a poly bushing, or spin a bearing in your shifter box, (not ever going to happen) I don't care I'll cover it, lifetime.

As always if you have any questions please feel free to ask, I'm happy to answer anything I can.

TMODCUSTOMS@GMAIL.COM

The following users liked this post:
StuzVette (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 11:10 PM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Sweet, Got it, thanks Stu!

INFO ON BUSHING SELECTION

As far as the difference between the Z06 and non-Z boxes goes, the Z has solid bushings, they make for a more stiff \ firm feeling shift that a lot of people like. The trade off is that they do not dampen vibration like the non-Z boxes do. From the factory all non-Z boxes have rubber bushings. These are the bushings that mount the box to the Torque Tube, not the bushings that the shaft rides on. These shaft bushings wear out over time, that't why I replace them with actual bearings.

Back to Torque Tube Bushings. . . The factory Torque Tube Bushings are what mounts the box to the car (on the torque tube) . Factory rubber bushings wear out in as little as 12,0000 miles... yeah, 12K who doesn't have 12k on their car.... I have two options, Delrin which is a harder plastic like material that handles high temperatures, etc. It's fantastic, it feels very similar to the solid mounted bushings of the Z06 box, but they do dampen vibration a bit more. The other option I offer is Polyurethane. My Poly bushings are made from the best poly you can get. They are everything proof, made out of the same thing other bushings, suspension bushings, etc are made from. They are softer than Delrin thus they dampen vibration the best. Poly is the option you want if you want to retain more of a stock feel or if for some reason your having some vibration issues down the line that you would like to help cover up.

Because I cover every part of the box for a lifetime, if you do ever wear out a poly bushing, or spin a bearing in your shifter box, (not ever going to happen) I don't care I'll cover it, lifetime.

As always if you have any questions please feel free to ask, I'm happy to answer anything I can.

TMODCUSTOMS@GMAIL.COM
Thank you, Tom, for elucidating the options for me. (and anyone listening)
It sounds like the Polyurethane option is what I'm looking for in my cruiser...
...and it is nice to know your commitment to provide "lifetime" coverage, too.
I am waiting anxiously to install this mod.
Stu
Old 08-04-2018, 12:36 PM
zr870
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StuzVette
Thank you, Tom, for elucidating the options for me. (and anyone listening)
It sounds like the Polyurethane option is what I'm looking for in my cruiser...
...and it is nice to know your commitment to provide "lifetime" coverage, too.
I am waiting anxiously to install this mod.
Stu
Hey Tom....add me to the list as well....with your poly bushings.....too many great reviews for not to do this...thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Lower Shifter Boxes

Old 08-04-2018, 11:32 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Will do, thanks guys!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:38 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Z06 Solid Torqu Tube Bushings Available Now

No more extra waiting for Z06 boxes! Solid bushings are available now, no matter what box you have. If you have a non-Z06 box and want to upgrade to a solid bushings it's ten bucks. If you want to buy just the bushings it's twenty bucks shipped.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:50 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

First Operation on Solid Torque Tube Bushings

C5, C6 & C7
Performance Shifter Boxes
Upgraded Shifter Options

Zero-Slop Shifter Linkages
Don't replace your clutch without upgrading your linkage!

www.TMODCUSTOMS.com
info@tmodcustoms.com

Quick Reply: FS: Performance Lower Shifter Boxes