C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Still unclear, what can I use at the track to datalog my run?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Perfect, thanks. Sounds good, I've been drinking, ooops... Actually, yes, since I don't have a laptop the black box deal would work perfect. I was gonna pick up a cheap laptop off Fleabay just for this purpose but if I don't have to that would make the cost much more attractive.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:20 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Since both packages are good and although the blackbox seems to be a preference for you... IMO, what you should base your decision on is what your tuner is familiar with, people who are accessible to you or your vette buddies are using. It's alot easier to pick this stuff up... and there's alot to pick up.. when you have a bud w/ the same software.

If they're happy with what they have then so will you be..

Arnel
Old 03-31-2006, 11:40 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

With the capabilities being relatively the same, I would look at licensing, upgrades, tech support and user support.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:38 AM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Cajundude
Perfect, thanks. Sounds good, I've been drinking, ooops... Actually, yes, since I don't have a laptop the black box deal would work perfect. I was gonna pick up a cheap laptop off Fleabay just for this purpose but if I don't have to that would make the cost much more attractive.
You'd still want a laptop for setting up the black box and doing any data analysis unless you plan to do all your logging to the box and use a desktop for analysis and configuration. That'd probably be okay if you weren't logging for the purpose of tuning. As you get into tuning, you'll want to be able to have more timely insight into the data as it's collected which is where the laptop (i.e. display) becomes necessary. The next version of EFILive's FlashScan product is better aimed at replacing/reducing the need for the laptop. That's clearly headed down the tuning path though. You sounded more like your immediate needs were a decent scanner. EFILive's upgrade path to a tuner is what made me think it was particularly well suited to your situation.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Makes since, but, if I'm gonna spend $540 for the scanning stuff I might as well drop the other $150 for the full package. So let's see, I need a laptop, EFILive, roll cage, harness, extinguisher, fire suit, new helmet after this year....
Old 04-02-2006, 09:13 AM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't mean to Hi-jack this thread, but it seems on-topic with my question.

Over the last two events last year and 3 events this year, my car has been displaying Check engine lights (intermittently -- on-off-on-off etc.) but no codes. The ocurr after the 2 to 3rd shift (MN6) The power drops during the these lights. On the street the car drives perfect, seems to be at about 5000 RPM's like injectors, spark, knock retard etc, but I thought each of those would set a code. I was thinking the same thing... can I monitor the systems in real time while the event is occurring.

I have an appointment this week to take the car back to the tuner, but even he says you need to be there when the light is occurring. He will re-check the tune (were any error codes shut off), look at what he can, and possibly put back the stock tune for a test session.

I don't have the Wide Band sensors so I guess all I could monitor would be the internal PCM data.

Now what was my point?....Oh yeah, first off anyone have any similar experience, or is there a more cost effective way to monitor the internal PCM activities. Again sorry for the Hi-Jack, but this is really getting frustrating

Thanks

Ed
Old 04-02-2006, 01:00 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Cajundude
Makes since, but, if I'm gonna spend $540 for the scanning stuff I might as well drop the other $150 for the full package. So let's see, I need a laptop, EFILive, roll cage, harness, extinguisher, fire suit, new helmet after this year....
It does add up, doesn't it? Don't forget the ice chest and lawn chairs. I guess you could always just wax.

motown, your flashing CEL may just be telling you it's misfiring. It may or may not be enough to set a code. A scanner can be very useful in determining what's going on, particularly when something's not right but codes are not set. If it's reproducible it should be easy enough to track down.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:14 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mowton

is there a more cost effective way to monitor the internal PCM activities.
Best way to keep tabs on the PCM is with a scanner. Problem is, if you only have a scanner (not a programmer also) you may not be able to fix your problem. Lots of scanners out there. Do a search for OBD2 and scanner.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ToplessTexan
It does add up, doesn't it? Don't forget the ice chest and lawn chairs. I guess you could always just wax.
Oh yea, stopped by the Simpson trailer at the track today. Picked up SFI 3.2A/5 pants and jacket. Also snagged some gloves, socks, high tops, and 5 point harness. At least I had some of this stuff printed off from Summit with me. Got him to match the prices instead of boning me for retail.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:05 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No point in logging if you aren't going to do anything with the data (meaning tweak it).

Mark
Old 04-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mdhmi
No point in logging if you aren't going to do anything with the data (meaning tweak it).

Mark
I would bring the results to MTI until I learn how to tune myself. No I don't want to spend a bunch of money so I can watch some lines bounce around on a screen.

Quick Reply: Still unclear, what can I use at the track to datalog my run?