C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

basic mail order flash tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:40 PM
speedz06
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Default basic mail order flash tune

Hi folks, I have a 99 frc manual trans and would like to buy and try one of the aftermarket canned tuners for a basically stock motor with intake/exhaust. A scanner would be nice bonus if it comes with it.

Any recommendation as to what brand tuner is best? I'm rusty on whats out there and hoping someone could suggest.

I'm pretty technical guy if that makes difference.
thanks for the help
Old 08-24-2014, 12:39 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I was initially going to get a precanned tune since I had pretty basic mods, but I ended up getting something a "bit more" and I am glad I did. I ended up with an EFILive autocal with remote tuner support. $625 total for the handheld device and unlimited tune revisions (no extra charge if you say, add heads/cam later down the road). With the autocal you have the ability to datalog and with the software you can view all the ecu tables in your tune... you just can't edit/save the tune... that is reserved for your tuner.

Biggest thing the tune is going to do is recalibrate your MAF table to get your fuel trims in line, which will also ensure your WOT fuel ratios are good. Precanned tune will be hit or miss for your car and your intake setup. It took me a few revisions to get mine in check.

Worth spending a little extra to do it right with regards to ECU tuning in my opinion.

Quick Reply: basic mail order flash tune