C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Data Acquisition with Race Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 12:39 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Jon!

Working perfect now - playing with the overlay now, loving it!

Have a great rest of the weekend!
Rich
Old 08-24-2023, 02:35 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Jon,

One thought I had... Isn't the racebox mini capable of yaw readings? Not sure if you have seen any of Hipo Drivers youtube videos on the PDR system analysis, but he takes yaw and steering input into an "oversteer/understeer" output.

I've looking around some to see if I'm missing it or can easily add, but can we log yaw? If we can I think the crude version of understanding oversteer and understeering is just graphing with steering angle and seeing when the two start tracking differently.

Yaw may also be very interesting while drifting, but I want to see if I can learn anything with respect to car rotation in turns as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 08-25-2023, 04:43 PM
jonofmac
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rzepka_r
Hi Jon,

One thought I had... Isn't the racebox mini capable of yaw readings? Not sure if you have seen any of Hipo Drivers youtube videos on the PDR system analysis, but he takes yaw and steering input into an "oversteer/understeer" output.

I've looking around some to see if I'm missing it or can easily add, but can we log yaw? If we can I think the crude version of understanding oversteer and understeering is just graphing with steering angle and seeing when the two start tracking differently.

Yaw may also be very interesting while drifting, but I want to see if I can learn anything with respect to car rotation in turns as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rich
Yes, the racebox mini does have a 6 DOF IMU in it, yaw acceleration is one of them (it's reported in deg/s). This is automatically logged by race chrono if you connect it to the racebox. The downside is this math is beyond the basic math that racechrono can do. However, with a bit of know-how and post-processing, you can actually do some pretty neat stuff with the information.

Here's an example where I'm utilizing the IMU and sensors from the car/gps to estimate drift angle. Typically this is done with 2 GPS antennas (1 at front of car, and 1 at rear), so this is done with just 1, but it's far from perfect. This is all post-processed, though. If you are just looking for understeer and oversteer, it can be seen if you plot the z rate of rotation plot. You'll see sharp peaks as the car begins to break away at the limit of traction.

Old 11-07-2023, 03:20 PM
hnel
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting this info and for working with Antti over on the RC Pro forum. It's fantastic you guys were able to get this working.

I've been using this method for the last year and love being able to get data off the car.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:14 PM
vdez1
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread here. Can anyone confirm if the OBDLink LX will interface correctly? I tried out my old cheapo bluetooth module yesterday which, as expected, didn't quite do the job. I saw earlier in this thread that the CX does not work for the purposes here.

If anyone knows of any other Bluetooth OBD modules that would work with Race Chrono Pro and the profile Jon put together, that would be helpful as well!

Jon - Thank you for all the work you put into this! From what I can see, it looks like it really unlocks tons of valuable info that is otherwise hidden away.

Best,
Victor
Old 04-10-2024, 12:20 PM
jonofmac
Advanced

Originally Posted by vdez1
Sorry to revive an old thread here. Can anyone confirm if the OBDLink LX will interface correctly? I tried out my old cheapo bluetooth module yesterday which, as expected, didn't quite do the job. I saw earlier in this thread that the CX does not work for the purposes here.

If anyone knows of any other Bluetooth OBD modules that would work with Race Chrono Pro and the profile Jon put together, that would be helpful as well!

Jon - Thank you for all the work you put into this! From what I can see, it looks like it really unlocks tons of valuable info that is otherwise hidden away.

Best,
Victor
I can't confirm the LX since I don't have one but I can confirm the cheapo elm327 did not work for a friend of mine. The knock off device simply reported error because my profile uses non-standard commands which it apparently did not understand.

The CX is can only, which our cars don't have. They use an older interface called VPW (J1850). So that's why the CX doesn't work.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:38 PM
vdez1
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jonofmac
I can't confirm the LX since I don't have one but I can confirm the cheapo elm327 did not work for a friend of mine. The knock off device simply reported error because my profile uses non-standard commands which it apparently did not understand.

The CX is can only, which our cars don't have. They use an older interface called VPW (J1850). So that's why the CX doesn't work.
Understood! I just ordered the LX because it had same-day delivery on Amazon. I'll try to do a test run tonight and will report back.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:46 AM
vdez1
7th Gear

Jon - Can confirm the LX appears to work perfectly! Did a quick test drive and the telemetry seems to pull through. The real test will be at the track this weekend.

One question if you could help. I run a square setup for the track and the front wheel speeds are reading a few mph slower. Is there a quick solution in the custom profile settings? Not a vital issue for me so no worries if it's a pain to explain.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
jonofmac
Advanced

Great news! I'll update the first post.

As for calibratign wheel speed, sadly there's no easy way for me to have data that works for everyone. I think I should probably add to my first post some values based on what yall can give me for specific wheel sizes. So i guess some feedback from you guys with the scalar that got your speeds correct and the front and rear sizes and I can build it.

To calibrate wheel speeds, you have to adjust the scalar in the profile for the wheel speed sensors. On the home page, click the settings/gear icon. CLick on the C5Z optimized profile. Scroll down to the wheel speed that is wrong (Wheel speed FL 1 for example). Tap on it. You'll see my profile by default uses A/3.6 as the default for all wheels. The 3.6 is the value you have to change. If the wheel speed is too low, you need to make the 3.6 lower. If the wheel speed is too high, you need to make 3.6 higher.

You'll need to copy this value to the other wheel once you figure it out as well (front and right sides), but the value should be the same per axle. The EBCM expects our cars to have a little stagger stock, and it calibrated for it. So we have to tweak the values around that.

Quick Reply: Data Acquisition with Race Chrono