C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front plate "texas law"

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:04 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Come on. To take this to the level of criminal irrespnsibility is pretty silly.

You might want to check you state laws. Oral sex is still illegal in many states. My wife and I practice an act of civil disobedience every chance we get on that one. I guess that makes us both criminals in our state.

Just sign us Bonnie and Clyde.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:09 AM
sirsenna
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could easily break TWO laws in your vette then...lol

what a fine way to be breaking the law...
Old 02-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Vette 4 Fun
Pro

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Come on. To take this to the level of criminal irrespnsibility is pretty silly.

You might want to check you state laws. Oral sex is still illegal in many states. My wife and I practice an act of civil disobedience every chance we get on that one. I guess that makes us both criminals in our state.

Just sign us Bonnie and Clyde.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:40 AM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I've never run a front plate in Texas (on any of my cars) . I had one Constable pick on me once for it (about 10 yrs ago). I took a picture of the car with a plate on it, and took it to court. It cost me $10 to get the ticket dismissed...
Old 02-08-2005, 12:23 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think in Texas it's pretty remote that a local cop will give you a ticket, it's usually going to be a county officer or a state trooper. Those are the guys to watch out for.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:32 PM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Cop that pulled me over for doing 80 in a 65 told me to put one on. That's all he said. Oh, the HUD saved my butt. Told him he was lying because I have a little thing in my windshield that tells me how fast I was going and I was only in the mid 70's. Well, I was only doing mid 70's when he pulled me over.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:24 PM
aggie03
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in North Dallas was pulled over twice by a "bored" state trooper! First time I was given a warning and the second time I got the ticket. By the way, I wasn't speeding or drawing attention either time. On the second time when I went to the Justice of the Peace to pay it the clerk said that the judge for that county dismisses front license plate tickets if you put one on. Fortunately I did at that time. If you decide to put a plate on I highly recommend getting the trim kit from West Coast Corvette. At first I hated it but it will grow on you.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/sho...il.cfm?id=1266
Old 02-08-2005, 01:44 PM
canadianguy
Pro

Originally Posted by Shylor
Has nothing to do with a cop being bored or ****. It has to do with them doing their job. I find your advise to lie about coming home from a car show and then wanting to fight the ticket in court to be something a criminal would do.

It's very simple and you don't have to agree with it but, it is the law. Contact your politicians to change it and don't stoop to acting like a criminal to weasel your way out or blaming the cops.

I'm going to take the high road and try not to insult you here. There is no stooping or weaseling. I work with cops all the time and they would be having a real bad day, or really not like the way you look/act, to give you such a bogus ticket. However there is the odd punk cop who thinks he/she is god's gift to law, who will enforce every horse$hit law out there. It seems you my friend may actually be that ****. Law is law, please, tell me that as you j-walk across a road rather than walk 3 block to the crosswalk.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:56 PM
canadianguy
Pro

I certainly haven't to get out of a stupid ticket that I knew I was in the wrong for! I find it interesting that everyone blames someone else for their infractions.
Right, you would only do it to get out of a serious ticket that you were only partially responsible for. You did not understand my point. It was not to blame the cops, it was to point out that the odds of getting ticketed for that are not good. Please don't refer to me as a criminal for not wanting to use my front plate.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Kid
Racer

Has nothing to do with a cop being bored or ****. It has to do with them doing their job. I find your advise to lie about coming home from a car show and then wanting to fight the ticket in court to be something a criminal would do.

It's very simple and you don't have to agree with it but, it is the law. Contact your politicians to change it and don't stoop to acting like a criminal to weasel your way out or blaming the cops.

Let me guess.... you're one of those bored **** cops right?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:35 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Kid
Let me guess.... you're one of those bored **** cops right?

Why do you think he's a bored LEO? He's talking about personal integrity, self respect, and honesty. Those virtues seem to be lost on certain of our Northern friends.

I don't like the law either, but I run a front tag, because I don't want to have it be a reason to be stopped by a LEO. Vettes are enough of attention getter as is.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:34 PM
rollinred
Racer

thanxs guys for all your responses,i work for the sheriff department and i talk to alot of police,troopers and all patroling law enforcement officers and they all have told me it would be best to put the tags on, all stated that they have to do their job, i agreed i work in the intake department in dallas and believe me there are enough guys out there pissing the police off
Old 02-08-2005, 06:34 PM
canadianguy
Pro

Originally Posted by sxe60
Why do you think he's a bored LEO? He's talking about personal integrity, self respect, and honesty. Those virtues seem to be lost on certain of our Northern friends.

I don't like the law either, but I run a front tag, because I don't want to have it be a reason to be stopped by a LEO. Vettes are enough of attention getter as is.

Come on man, you can't judge me and my whole country on "virtues", because I don't want to use my front plate, and would give a cop a story to avoid paying into a government money pit. You yourself said the only reason you use yours, is to avoid being pulled over. Your decision is based on convenience, not "virtues", because it's the right thing to do. I found your post judgemental and ignorant.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Kid
Racer

Originally Posted by rollinred
thanxs guys for all your responses,i work for the sheriff department and i talk to alot of police,troopers and all patroling law enforcement officers and they all have told me it would be best to put the tags on, all stated that they have to do their job, i agreed i work in the intake department in dallas and believe me there are enough guys out there pissing the police off

I think they are pissed because they make 35k a year and were picked on in highschool.

I admit some are cool if you know them personally but they are all on power trips plain and simple.
I have been treated like **** by too many cops for bull**** reasons so love for them I do not have!! Sorry.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:48 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Originally Posted by canadianguy
Come on man, you can't judge me and my whole country on "virtues", because I don't want to use my front plate, and would give a cop a story to avoid paying into a government money pit. You yourself said the only reason you use yours, is to avoid being pulled over. Your decision is based on convenience, not "virtues", because it's the right thing to do. I found your post judgemental and ignorant.

Well, I find your post pompous and arrogant. There, does that make us even?
Old 02-08-2005, 07:07 PM
canadianguy
Pro

Originally Posted by sxe60
Well, I find your post pompous and arrogant. There, does that make us even?
Fine, you should have just said that to start with. I did not intend to come off like that, I can understand if you do not agree with me, but you are attacking with no reason.

O sorry, I almost forgot........
Old 02-08-2005, 07:20 PM
c5streak
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rollinred
i was just wondering how hard is it to take the front plate off? texas law don't let us ride without front plate
WOW! I thought the question was fairly simple to have recieved such "lively" replies. Two screws and it's off. As for all the other: If you don't want to run a front plate 'cause it distracts from the look of your C5, then don't. If you get a ticket and want to b**tch. Simple, pay it, then b**ch!

Get notified of new replies

To front plate "texas law"

Old 02-08-2005, 08:59 PM
2K2 C5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by canadianguy
Just show the cop you have the plate, say your on the way home from a car show.........
We had a Club join a car show, the little******** sat outside the exit after the show and wrote eighteen tickets to our club members, most run plates the rest of the week and just put the covers on for the show. Now velcro attached covers are our friends.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 PM
usd2sing
Burning Brakes

Default wow!

thanks for the input...didnt realize that they ding you so hard for something so minor...i've had this ride for 4 weeks now and it didnt have a front plate on it...nor did the dealer have one to give me...(it was a trade-in), but this afternoon they guaranteed me they would order the front for no $$ to me...Awesome!

Last edited by usd2sing; 02-08-2005 at 09:26 PM. Reason: goofed spelling
Old 02-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Tormania
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

5 yrs of crusing the roads of TX and 74,000 miles...only pulled over once by DPS for no front plate and got a warning. NOt gonna sweat it, the car looks way too good w/o the plate to bother putting the thing on.

Take some time and look around, you'll be amazing at just how many other cars don't run a front plate either.

Quick Reply: front plate "texas law"