C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove water pump to replace ac compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 01:43 PM
ls1vette97
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove water pump to replace ac compressor?

Someone stated that the water pump would not need to be removed to install a new ac compressor, and was wondering if this is true. These guys are hitting me with a $2000+ bill for replacing the ac, waterpump, and oil pressure sensor! Does this sound high to you guys or what?
Old 04-16-2005, 01:46 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I think the oil pressure sensor may be the part that gets labor intensive...
Old 04-17-2005, 10:08 AM
3Vettes@Home
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I took the water pump off for my cam install, didn't have to touch a/c compressor other than to guide the belt back on, I can't see why it would have to come off for compressor replacement
Old 04-17-2005, 11:11 AM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Yep

Originally Posted by ls1vette97
Someone stated that the water pump would not need to be removed to install a new ac compressor, and was wondering if this is true. These guys are hitting me with a $2000+ bill for replacing the ac, waterpump, and oil pressure sensor! Does this sound high to you guys or what?
I had my air compressor changed Monday.Parts and labor $ 1100.I don't think the tech removed my water pump but I may be wrong.He did the job rather quickly.total time was about 3 hours.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Cig35
Racer

To replace the compressor, accumulator and orifice tube cost $928 here in Fla. I went to a shop in Cape Coral

Last edited by Cig35; 04-17-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

The manual's procedure states the water pump must come out to remove the A/C compressor - probably to create clearance to pull it out through the top. I have the procedure I can send you if you'd like to see what it takes.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:06 PM
beearthwise
Intermediate

Default AC Compressor Replacement

I replaced mine last summer, it took me all day. I got quotes from $1100 to $1400 and decided to get handy and learn something new. Total cost was about $700. I thought the job was moderately hard, and yes, you do have to remove the water pump. The hard part is scraping the old paper gasket off the water pump and the engine block. The next hardest thing was replacing the dryer - it is really tucked in tight behind the battery and into the fire wall. You need to get a GM dryer because an off market/OEM replacemtn will not fit - too tall.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:40 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by beearthwise
The hard part is scraping the old paper gasket off the water pump and the engine block.Good luck.
The water pump doesn't have paper gaskets??? so I don't know what vehicle you removed the water pump on.

And

The only reason to remove the water pump is to give more clearance to pull the compressor out and make it easier to get the compressor belt on, I know for a fact the belt can be replaced with the water pump on but I'm not sure if theres enough clearance to get the compressor by the heater hose outlets.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:27 AM
IFLUBYU
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know 97s and 98s came with paper gaskets, maybe 99s. Which should be replaced with the newer metal/rubber ones.

I do not doubt the GM procedure calls for water pump removal. Which means all dealers and average shops will do it because it rakes in more money. Any good 'vette shop who knows the car should be able to do it without it and save you a few there.
An inexperienced or schiester mechanic will tell you if GM says it should be removed, there must be a reason.
A good mechanic who knows the car will not remove something that doesn't need to be removed. If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Originally Posted by runamuk
The water pump doesn't have paper gaskets??? so I don't know what vehicle you removed the water pump on.

And

The only reason to remove the water pump is to give more clearance to pull the compressor out and make it easier to get the compressor belt on, I know for a fact the belt can be replaced with the water pump on but I'm not sure if theres enough clearance to get the compressor by the heater hose outlets.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:43 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by IFLUBYU
I know 97s and 98s came with paper gaskets, maybe 99s. Which should be replaced with the newer metal/rubber ones.
I didn't know the early LS-1's came with paper gaskets, I thought they all came with the metal ones.

Get notified of new replies

To Remove water pump to replace ac compressor?

Quick Reply: Remove water pump to replace ac compressor?