C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"service column lock"...car wont run now

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 01:15 PM
427muscle
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Default "service column lock"...car wont run now

ok, after disassembling the steering column cover(in attempt to replace headlight switch) after putting everything back together, the car wont go over 2mph! i tried pulling fuse 25 but when i put it back in, nothing changes. any help?
Old 05-03-2005, 02:43 PM
427muscle
Burning Brakes

ttt
Old 05-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Please read and post all of the DTC codes that are storred in your DIC.

Those codes will help us all figure out what is going on.

BC
Old 05-03-2005, 07:53 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by 427muscle
ok, after disassembling the steering column cover(in attempt to replace headlight switch) after putting everything back together, the car wont go over 2mph! i tried pulling fuse 25 but when i put it back in, nothing changes. any help?

Are you saying the fuel shuts off, or the engine still runs and the car literally will not go any faster?

Did you disconnect the column lock actuator while you were working on the steering column?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:35 PM
12stepvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

It`s possible the actuator is out of sync....First see if the column is actually locked. Now pull the key, then pull fuse 25...wait a few secounds and reinsert the fuse. If the column is`nt locked, put the key in and turn it to ON....Now pull fuse 25 and wait a few secs.. I went through this when I installed my Home brewed Relay to bypass the column lock.
Also make sure the wire harness from the actuator is connected properly.Thats easy to find...it comes down the left side of the column into the lower kick panel area and makes a right turn to the BCM connection.Theres 4 wires, I don`t remember the wire colors...Orange, Black,purple, white I think.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:19 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

sounds like the fuel cut off is taking effect. Do you have a 6-speed?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:46 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

You didn't mention if you got the "Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds" or the "Service Column Lock" error messages, nor did you indicate if your steering column locks when you remove the ignition key. So this problem could be related to either the ECL or the Theft Deterrent system. I would start by making sure you don't have any wiring harnesses misconnected or disconnected, and no blown fuses as a result of your steering column repair work. You might consider the following steps if you feel you are having troubles with your ECL:

Please check Fuse 23 in the passenger footwell fusebox which provides +12Vdc for the lock and unlock signals. Make sure this fuse is not blown.

Next, start troubleshooting the wiring going to the ECL (or CLB if installed). Use an ohmmeter and make sure the black wire has a solid ground. The green wire is the status line going to the BCM. It should indicate ground (0 Vdc) when "unlocked" and +12Vdc when "locked" (note there is a pullup resistor inside the BCM).

If the green wire is bad, your CLB will show open instead of +12Vdc when locked).

The purple wire will be the unlock signal and the orange wire will be the lock signal. If the black wire is open or if the CLB has malfunctioned, the BCM will not receive the correct status and you will get the "Pull key and wait 10 seconds error message. Apparently the dealer has performed the recall, because the PCM shuts off the fuel supply at speeds over 2 mph (thank you very much GM). I hope this helps. Please read the sticky at the top of the Tech Section also which has links to other helpful info. Post me if you still have problems.
John
Old 05-04-2005, 09:58 AM
12stepvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cscokd
You didn't mention if you got the "Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds" or the "Service Column Lock" error messages, nor did you indicate if your steering column locks when you remove the ignition key. So this problem could be related to either the ECL or the Theft Deterrent system. I would start by making sure you don't have any wiring harnesses misconnected or disconnected, and no blown fuses as a result of your steering column repair work. You might consider the following steps if you feel you are having troubles with your ECL:

Please check Fuse 23 in the passenger footwell fusebox which provides +12Vdc for the lock and unlock signals. Make sure this fuse is not blown.

Next, start troubleshooting the wiring going to the ECL (or CLB if installed). Use an ohmmeter and make sure the black wire has a solid ground. The green wire is the status line going to the BCM. It should indicate ground (0 Vdc) when "unlocked" and +12Vdc when "locked" (note there is a pullup resistor inside the BCM).

If the green wire is bad, your CLB will show open instead of +12Vdc when locked).

The purple wire will be the unlock signal and the orange wire will be the lock signal. If the black wire is open or if the CLB has malfunctioned, the BCM will not receive the correct status and you will get the "Pull key and wait 10 seconds error message. Apparently the dealer has performed the recall, because the PCM shuts off the fuel supply at speeds over 2 mph (thank you very much GM). I hope this helps. Please read the sticky at the top of the Tech Section also which has links to other helpful info. Post me if you still have problems.
John

excellent info!!! The title of the post mentions he gets the "Service Column Lock" Message.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:54 PM
BlackBeautyC5
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix the steering column lock!!!

I recently bought a 2002 corvette and i have had it for about 2 weeks and the steering column has locked up 3 times. The first time i had no idea what to do and finally i just took and turned the steering wheel to the right as hard as i could with the key in the on position and it unlocked. I have done it the other two times as well and it takes me no longer than 5 seconds to unlock the steering column. Give it a try.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:39 PM
427muscle
Burning Brakes

yes, it keeps showing "pull key for 10 seconds" message. how do i look up the DIC numbers, will i need an OBDII scanner? thanks for the help fellas, it is much appreciated
Old 05-05-2005, 12:03 AM
427muscle
Burning Brakes

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol, i accidently cut a wire underneath. after fixing it, car runs perfect
Old 05-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Your car has a BUILT IN CODE SCANNER! Here is how to use it.

http://www.corvettedoctor.com/Codes_Page.htm

BC
Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 AM
12stepvette
Burning Brakes

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol, i accidently cut a wire underneath. after fixing it, car runs perfect
Excellent!!

When we work on our cars and something doesnt work immediatly afterward, its usually good practice to back up and look in the area we just messed with...

Get notified of new replies

To "service column lock"...car wont run now

Quick Reply: "service column lock"...car wont run now