C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Open my Vararam to check Filter... PLEASE HELP GUYS

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:19 AM
auctiondepot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Well I have nothing better to at the moment so I'll jump in and agree with Korreck.
Ram air doesn't exist at automobile speeds since air is incompressable below Mach 0.5 half the speed of sound thats about 370 mph. thats 1 fast corvette!
Second the shape of the intake is converging this is wrong it must be a divergent shape to provide the ram air effect.
That means the inlet of the air scoop would need to to be the small end and the exit would be larger. (Is that how the Varram is designed?)
So what you really have is a cold air intake that sucks all the sand and grit and water up and into your filter, thats if you have one.
The foam filter is worthless, any filter that claims to allow more air to pass through can only do so if the surface area is increased or all you catch is the larger particulate.
Ram Air is a marketing ploy created by Pontiac back in the 1960's and is carried forward to this day so it must be true right
If you want Ram Air get a forced induction system bottom line..
Yes right on!

There are none so blind as those who will not see and have also bought a Vararam. Why don’t you guys just remove the filter for a run down the 1/4 and save the embarrassment of owning a Vararam!
Old 05-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Old 05-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 16Again
Oh yes it did and you are simply running a variation of the design Edgar was running. Also your filter sits in the same place as the rest of our FACTORY and AFTERMARKET BREATHERS.
I stand corrected. But Edgar did drive into a lake. That would happen with a stock breather.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by auctiondepot
Yes right on!

There are none so blind as those who will not see and have also bought a Vararam. Why don’t you guys just remove the filter for a run down the 1/4 and save the embarrassment of owning a Vararam!
That says it all. I have to leave for the weekend. You take over auctiondepot. Good job.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:48 PM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exclusive pic of Korreck's intake system

Thru some super-secret-spyshot-sleuthing, I have appropriated an exclusive rendering of Korreck's proprietary intake system on his "other" car. This system is guaranteed to suck. Have a look.

Old 05-21-2005, 12:11 AM
We Make'm Faster
Intermediate

Well, I was just going to read all the posts and refrain from posting, but there seems to be serious polarization regarding this Vararam..people, this is all feedback from others who either have had a good or bad experiance...as I had stated before, I have installed several of these systems as well as seen dozens more installed by others and most of the problems have been from IMPROPER INSTALLATION of unit combined with a very Crappy foam filter, all you people that insist there are huge differences in "dyno slips" or "time slips" because of this filter are only seeing one or two types of filter set ups. I have seen where a Halltech does BETTER on the dyno than the Vararam, I do agree that a properely installed system with a K&N filter will solve most dirt issues. I still stick to the basic fact that the Vararam is by far the most lengthy to install, givin the minute difference between the Vararam, Halltech, blackwing, Breathless performance Etc...my personal/professional opinion would be the latter of filter set ups. Still, for the folks who allready have a Vararam and NO dirt in T/B, leave it be. here is the original post..Having seen quite a few of these systems, as the owners of the systems have found out, they are not the easiest if in fact, they are the hardest filter systems to install compared to say a halltech. Because this is a two piece lower half, if it is not assembled EXACT, there will be anywhere from a minimal gap at usually the lower center section to a huge 1/4". The foam filter outer sealing area is not the best quality and is responsible for the majority of the dirt flowing past the filter..with or without a blower! have seen just as bad on N/A. the point is just upgrade the filter and make SURE that it seals all the way aroung. Some of you that showed photos of clean throttle bodies are obviously not having problems, everybody has drawn there conclusions and I don't believe this is a witch hunt for Vararam, just information that should be shared, that is what this forum is about.

Last edited by We Make'm Faster; 05-21-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:35 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by We Make'm Faster
Well, I was just going to read all the posts and refrain from posting, but there seems to be serious polarization regarding this Variram..people, this is all feedback from others who either have had a good or bad experiance...as I had stated before, I have installed several of these systems as well as seen dozens more installed by others and most of the problems have been from IMPROPER INSTALLATION of unit combined with a very Crappy foam filter, all you people that insist there are huge differences in "dyno slips" or "time slips" because of this filter are only seeing one or two types of filter set ups. I have seen where a Halltech does BETTER on the dyno than the Variram, I do agree that a properely installed system with a K&N filter will solve most dirt issues. I still stick to the basic fact that the Variram is by far the most lengthy to install, givin the minute difference between the Variram, Halltech, blackwing, Breathless performance Etc...my personal/professional opinion would be the latter of filter set ups. Still, for the folks who allready have a Variram and NO dirt in T/B, leave it be. here is the original post..Having seen quite a few of these systems, as the owners of the systems have found out, they are not the easiest if in fact, they are the hardest filter systems to install compared to say a halltech. Because this is a two piece lower half, if it is not assembled EXACT, there will be anywhere from a minimal gap at usually the lower center section to a huge 1/4". The foam filter outer sealing area is not the best quality and is responsible for the majority of the dirt flowing past the filter..with or without a blower! have seen just as bad on N/A. the point is just upgrade the filter and make SURE that it seals all the way aroung. Some of you that showed photos of clean throttle bodies are obviously not having problems, everybody has drawn there conclusions and I don't believe this is a witch hunt for Variram, just information that should be shared, that is what this forum is about.

Whats a Variram?
Old 05-21-2005, 12:52 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by TheDVS1
Thru some super-secret-spyshot-sleuthing, I have appropriated an exclusive rendering of Korreck's proprietary intake system on his "other" car. This system is guaranteed to suck. Have a look.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by EB20003
The Blackwing is an airfilter element and an air filter element only. I don't call it a piece of performance equipment as it does not provide ram air nor cold air. It filters, and thats it. Same as your stock filter, it just cost $250.00+.

I disagree, the factory air box is sealed in a box. Backwing is an open filter.... hence draws more air in. Thats a perf mod to me!
Old 05-21-2005, 08:13 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDVS1

I am mad, Bob was supposed to keep me updated on his new system. Now I see it here first.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:56 AM
We Make'm Faster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EB20003
Whats a Variram?
Parden me...Vararam!

Quick Reply: I Open my Vararam to check Filter... PLEASE HELP GUYS