C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:52 AM
SteveDR425
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 oil pan

Does anyone know if you can run an LS2 oil pan in the C5?
I will be putting in a 402 LS2 in my car soon and was wondering if putting in a
new LS2 oil pan is worth the extra $300+ .
Old 07-08-2005, 12:38 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a 100% positive but i believe they changed the design of the oil pan when they did the ls2
Old 07-08-2005, 01:13 PM
SteveDR425
Instructor

Originally Posted by Neablas
not a 100% positive but i believe they changed the design of the oil pan when they did the ls2

From what I was reading it is a better design to control oil when roadracing/autocrossing. Here is what I could find on it.

"For Corvettes, there's an all-new oil pan design. It eliminates the winged style of the LS1 pan as engineers devised a better internal design to fight high-g oil starvation. New-design baffles inside the Corvette's oil pan are designed to keep the oil pump pickup submerged in oil during high-load cornering maneuvers. The elimination of the previous-style pan's wings also reduces the oil capacity of the pan by one quart. "
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s/0405htp_ls2/
Old 07-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Won't fit.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:21 PM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hrm..I luv the internet..

It fits like a glove and provides a tone of extra clearance. Done it twice now.
If you going with LS1/lS6 short block you reuse the oil pickup tube and have to transfer over the oil level sending unit and cover. The cover is the piece that bolts to the pan by the oil filter and holds the temp sender. You will also have to purchase a new dipstick and tube.

Phil
Old 07-09-2005, 08:27 AM
SteveDR425
Instructor

Originally Posted by RoadRebel
Hrm..I luv the internet..

It fits like a glove and provides a tone of extra clearance. Done it twice now.
If you going with LS1/lS6 short block you reuse the oil pickup tube and have to transfer over the oil level sending unit and cover. The cover is the piece that bolts to the pan by the oil filter and holds the temp sender. You will also have to purchase a new dipstick and tube.

Phil

So, since it will work, it is worth the $300+ dollars to get it?
I will be running the LS2 block.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:49 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil....

These guys are keeping you busy on the whole LS2 pan thing

Thanks to some advice from Phil (Road Rebel) and a few others I have decided to do the swap. My decision is more from a standpoint of ease of engine installation (from the top) that the new design pan provides due to the fact I have a few different engine configurations I will be installing (featuring AFR heads of course) over the next 3-18 months or so.

Also, I personally like the fact it is better at transfering oil backwards (when your accelerating in a straight line) because I am more a drag racer that a road racer. Lastly, saving a few pounds is always a bonus and I would guess theres a decent weight savings with the LS2 style pan.

I will let you guys know how the swap goes in a few months when I drop the new 383 I will be dyno testing in early August (flywheel dyno) back into my vehicle.

Tony M.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

OK, I know this is an old thread, but I need answers to a question ASAP.

I just bolted up a new LS2 oil pan on my LS1 motor. Everything fits PERFECT.......

BUT there is one extra hole on the drivers side oil pan mating surface that the block doesn't have a hole for. It is in the middle between the rear of the pan and the front of the pan, so I would assume it wouldn't make much difference, but thats just an assumption.

Can any of you guys who have done the swap tell me if it needs to be drilled or leave it like it is.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 oil pan

Quick Reply: LS2 oil pan