C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in reverse 6 speed

Old 07-28-2005, 11:18 AM
leatherbee408
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in reverse 6 speed

99 C5 6sp. dual disk clutch

Started sticking in reverse on the race car trailer then it just got completely jammed up when I got it off the trailer....Clutch engages and disengages perfectly...

Pulled shifter assembly out...Rod to tranny appears to be stuck in reverse...Cannot budge...I am praying that it is not internally in the tranny or that I have to pull the tranny....

This happen to anybody else or any ideas on how to get it unstuck with out pulling the tranny....I replaced the clutch two years ago and dont want to do it again.....

Thanks any help greatly appreciated.....
Old 07-28-2005, 02:05 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Lock out noid stuck open?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:30 PM
bandit_99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by screw991le
Lock out noid stuck open?
If that's true, I think you could just remove the solenoid to find out if that's the issue....but then be careful shifting 4 to 5 without that lock out.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:07 PM
leatherbee408
Heel & Toe

Worth a try...Looks like you have to drop the whole rear suspension just to get at that solenoid? And it says there is a special socket to remove it....Maybe I should just cut a access hole in the trunk...LOL However it would be better than pulling the whole tranny and then having to open up the tranny.....

Thanks for the idea....
Old 07-28-2005, 04:39 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you try to do a burnout in reverse?

Might be a bent shift fork, I did the same thing in my last car. How does the tranny sound in reverse? Any strange grinding or whining noises?
Old 07-28-2005, 05:06 PM
leatherbee408
Heel & Toe

No burn out just pulling it off the trailer...Which I have to do inch by inch to catch each board so the car does not bottom out...It just started wanting to stay each time I put it in reverse and then it just stuck for good....

No sounds at all when in reverse...I tried popping the clutch to see if it would break it free...No luck...

Maybe I will just drive it that way until I have the time to pull it apart---I live local!! I am sure the cop will understand the circumstances....."Stuck in Reverse" sign on the back I will be all set...Might have to pull the hood so I can still get air to the intercooler?
Old 07-28-2005, 05:19 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you tried pulling (well, pushing) on the stick while moving in reverse? This freed it up on my last car.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:22 PM
bandit_99
Burning Brakes

I don't think you have to drop the rear to get at that solenoid.

The best guy to call and ask what's wrong would be Rodney- Crashed94. He'll tell you whats wrong and how to fix it...maybe he'll get you into a nice new built MN6 while he's at it.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

You do not have to drop the tranny to fix the reverse lock out solenoid. My dealer replaced mine. The mechanic had a special socket that fit the solenoid. Backed ou the old one and in went the new one. He got only one click on the rachet each turn, it is really tight up in there.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:25 AM
leatherbee408
Heel & Toe

Are you sure your not talking about the 1-4 shift solenoid...That one I know you dont have to drop it...

According to Alldata you have to make at least a 1.5" clearance and the only way to do that is to drop the suspension so you can just drop the tranny just enought to reach it...Would not be the first time they were wrong....I will give it a try this weekend....

If it was the reverse solenoid did they change it cause it locked up??? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck in reverse 6 speed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck in reverse 6 speed