C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active handling warming up

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 02:49 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Active handling warming up

I was driving in 112 degree temp in the socal desert near palm springs. Got a bite to eat and left the car running w/ AC while parked. I got the "Active handling warming up message" and it never went away. Shut the car down turned it back on and it was still there. Turned the ignition on and off a few times and it went away. What gives?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:59 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe active handling warm up is referring to the computer getting a baseline reading when the car is first driven, it is not related to any temperature reading. I understand the system controlling the active handling needs to have the car driven in a straight line for a few seconds to get this baseline; I guess this allows it to know when the car is yawing too much later on.

Turning the car on and off a few times probably forced the car to dump the warning from memory.

Someone correct or clarify if I am wrong or incomplete.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Happened to me Sat night at a car show also. I was driving away from the show and it said "active handling warming up". It stayed there for maybe 10 seconds and went away... I forgot about that till I saw this post...

Toque
Old 08-05-2005, 04:17 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Thanks guys. I did come off the offramp pretty hard, may be that caused it. Has not reappeared since.

I do not know if this is true for the GM DIC, but on Chryslers, if you do the ignition on/off a few times within 10 seconds, it gives you a readout of all known errors. Any experience/suggestions?
The following users liked this post:
C5Luv'R (08-27-2022)
Old 08-05-2005, 06:15 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

happens to me now & then too, but mostly when i'm in parking garages for some weird reason.

long story short, don't worry about it. i posted this same question about a year ago when i first got my z and people said the same thing (to not worry about it). also, someone let me know that lo & behold, this item is discussed in the owners manual! i actually opened it up and read a couple of things, including about this unique feature of active handling warming up--go figure! :o
Old 08-08-2005, 07:28 PM
BobbyG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I've had it happen to me in traffic if I stay in 1st gear for 10 to 15 seconds, 1500 rpm or so.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Popclutch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep..have had the same warning message come up! I have NO idea WHY it does though. It's on for about 10 seconds then gone.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:44 AM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Mine does it too if I am going parking lot slow, for an extended time. Not sure why but it does happen at very slow speeds. I though someone posted a good tech review about it a ways back but I can not find it. If yuo check your DIC codes and see this in the H side, no worries, clear it and enjoy.
Dave
Old 08-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

[QUOTE=SLO VETTE]happens to me now & then too, but mostly when i'm in parking garages for some weird reason.

There is a direct relationship between slower speeds and driving in enclosed parking lots down down ramps as my 03 Z did this all the time in enclosed concrete parking garages in the CITY while exiting and my 02 does it once in a while but MUCH LESS Frequently!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Beaver06
Racer

Originally Posted by HHZ06
Thanks guys. I did come off the offramp pretty hard, may be that caused it. Has not reappeared since.

I do not know if this is true for the GM DIC, but on Chryslers, if you do the ignition on/off a few times within 10 seconds, it gives you a readout of all known errors. Any experience/suggestions?

To display your codes all you have to do is turn the key, then press the options button and while holding that button press the fuel button 4 times and then you can release the buttons and it will then automatically give you a read out of all you DIC codes. You can observe your codes and then reset them if you like. Keep in mind that resetting the code does not fix the problem.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:57 PM
ryanc440
Pro

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My Z does this 85% of the time I drive through my fiance's apartment complex parking lot. It must have to do with the fact that I cruise through there very slowly as the pavement sucks and some of the people who live there think 25mph is a safe parking lot speed; not to mention the 2 blind turns and the fact that people back out of their spots without even looking!!! The funny thing is it hardly ever does it anywhere else, I must just drive a little quicker elsewhere
Old 08-18-2005, 10:23 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

To calibrate wheel speed sensors relative to each other (to sense turns, radius of turns, etc), the computer is looking for 100' of driving with the steering wheel straight within the first 30 seconds of driving. If you're driving through a parking garage/lot or autocrossing where the course turns immediately and the computer doesn't see this, you'll get the "active handling warming up" which tells you active handling is not available so drive accordingly. This is because it can't make active handling calculations without that info. Once you've driven that 100' with wheels straight, it enables active handling. If you ever disconnect the steering shaft from the steering rack, it is imperative the steering wheel not be turned or when you reconnect the coupling, the computer will sense the steering wheel is turned even though you are going straight. This means the computer will never "see" you going straight and active handling will never be enabled....don't ask me how I know. :bb Damn the school of hard knocks!

Last edited by glass slipper; 08-20-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:38 PM
prospero63
Team Owner

I've noticed it coming out of the parking garage at work lately. It has those "turnstyle" type exits, so you drive in a circle for 4-5 levels before you exit. If I start the car and get moving too quick, it seems to do that until I get out and on the straight away for a few seconds, then it goes away. Since I have never seen it prior to this, I had been attributing it to the exit ramps and corresponding turning.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:48 AM
BlackOps
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Happens to me quite often when I am first leaving my garage. If I drive away very slowly I always get the warning, but it goes away after I get up to speed.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Vettez16
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't that the start of the self destruct sequence with 10 seconds to go! I had it happen a couple of times it does what it wants and goes out.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:39 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Hope my explanation above helped.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:56 AM
HHZ06
Pro

Thanks for all the comments guys. Iy put my mind at ease.

Get notified of new replies

To Active handling warming up

Old 08-26-2005, 09:48 AM
Subw00er
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ya, this is common. I get it sometimes if I am in a parking lot driving around slow after starting the car, or if I go in reverse for a bit (backing up long driveway). Its normal, dont worry about it.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:08 PM
z06dailydriver
Racer

Coincidently, I have had the message come up a few times this summer. It comes up under different start up driving conditions. Only constant was it was @#$ hot, but I doubt that had anything to do with it.

By the way, Chrysler products, at least through 2003, turn the key to the on position and then off three times (don't turn over the starter and leave it in the on position on the third try) and you will get a code dump. A lot cheaper than than OBDII readers .
Old 08-27-2005, 12:25 PM
DragMan
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by glass slipper
If you ever disconnect the steering shaft from the steering rack, it is imperative the steering wheel not be turned or when you reconnect the coupling, the computer will sense the steering wheel is turned even though you are going straight. This means the computer will never "see" you going straight and active handling will never be enabled....don't ask me how I know. :bb Damn the school of hard knocks!
I had to change balancer so we had to remove rack and ever since I did that I get that Active handling warming up every time I start car. How can I fix this as this start when we took rack off.

Quick Reply: Active handling warming up