C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackwing Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 03:43 PM
TPR492
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Blackwing Question

Will a Blackwing made for a 97-00 fit an 04' as long as I have the adapter or are they totally different??
Old 09-03-2005, 08:28 PM
BadBone
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I was given a new in the box older Blackwing. I purchased the adapter for my 2004 and it installed with no problems.

The literature with my Blackwing is dated 2001 when it was still being made by Donaldson. I think that they sold the rights to another company since then.

You will like the Blackwing, impressive SOTP gains, just not sure there is the horse power gains they claim though. My stock 2004 A4 with Blackwing and Corsa exhaust dynoed 287 rear HP at Carlisle.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:56 PM
MagikDraggin
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by BadBone
You will like the Blackwing, impressive SOTP gains, just not sure there is the horse power gains they claim though. My stock 2004 A4 with Blackwing and Corsa exhaust dynoed 287 rear HP at Carlisle.

So, what you are saying, is that even WITH the two mods, and with an 18% loss in driveline efficiency, all you ended up with is 287 RWHP?

Makes one wonder what the HP was before the mods?

Old 09-03-2005, 09:10 PM
vette dan
Vette Dan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang My 97 A4 with 95K dynoed at 295 with corsa and stock intake.
After SLP headers went to 315 in power band and just added Blackwing.

Gotta Love It
Old 09-03-2005, 09:16 PM
BadBone
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess that what I am saying is:

I have heard that you will not gain any HP by installing an aftermarket exhaust on a stock C5, I now believe that is true.

The LS1 air intake works pretty well with a stock engine, I felt a SOTP improvement that did not show up as added horse power on a dyno.

I have seen ads for the Blackwing and other similar air intakes that claim anywhere from 15 to 25 HP gains. I no longer believe them. I feel the Blackwing lets the engine breathe better at WOT based on my personal experiences with adding it to my car before changing the stock exhaust to the Corsa TigerShark Indy exhaust. I love the sound of the exhaust, I just don't think that I gained any HP from it or the Blackwing.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Steve04Z06
Advanced

I never dyno'd but I ran .2 to .3 quicker 1/4 mile with a Blackwing on my '03.

While some make this same claim for the zip tie mod and a K&N drop in, I tried the zip tie mod with the stock filter and didn't notice any gains at all. I tried a K&N drop in with the zip tie mod and actually slowed me down a few tenths and my gas mileage went to hell.

The cars are all just a little different. What works for your car might not work for someone elses.

Get notified of new replies

To Blackwing Question

Quick Reply: Blackwing Question