C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM P1870 C code ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Idavette98
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM P1870 C code ??

I have a 98 A4 and just swapped out the 3.15's for 3.42's. Took a short 80 mile drive and noticed a burning smell while WOT and downshifting from 4th to 3rd and then back to 4th. Did this several times.
Any ideas why it is throwing this code? Also felt like some slippage at WOT.
I have not had the PCM recalibrated for the gear change.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Help!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:58 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Idavette98
I have a 98 A4 and just swapped out the 3.15's for 3.42's. Took a short 80 mile drive and noticed a burning smell while WOT and downshifting from 4th to 3rd and then back to 4th. Did this several times.
Any ideas why it is throwing this code? Also felt like some slippage at WOT.
I have not had the PCM recalibrated for the gear change.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Help!!!
You must get the PCM tuned for the gear change!!!!!!!

DH
Old 10-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Idavette98
Racer

Thanks, DH. I was delaying the tune since I plan to upgrade the intake, cam and heads this winter. Any harm in driving it this way for awhile? I will try to stay off the throttle (but with the gear change it is so hard not to stomp on it!). comments?
thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:15 AM
davette
Pro

TAKE IT EASY until you get it programmed. You don't want to ruin the tranny. You can still drive it, just avoid hard driving.
The 1870 code you got is a tranny slippage code. Reset the code otherwise the car will shift HARD.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:45 AM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Lots of threads on this topic in the archives.

While you're waiting for your tuning stay away from WOT blasts. If you're just cruising around town you can leave the gear selector in '3' to avoid tripping the code. If you use 'D' and get it, it can be cleared while driving through the DIC, no need to key-off. You might want to verify fluid level is correct, it's fussy.

Know anybody with EFILIve FlashScan? Since you're a '98 a buddy could *easily* help you out with your gear scaling...
Old 10-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Idavette98
Racer

Thanks, TT. I will definately take it easy until I get re-scaled. I don't know of anyone local with EFLive but I will check around. My original tune (2 years ago) was with LS1 edit. Would EFLive be compatible for this purpose?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:39 AM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

No compatability issues. It's worth checking around. If you find somebody, they can make this change for you w/o burning a license. ('98 programming is unlimited.) I'd be happy to do it for you but I'd need your flash file. To get that you need a local FlashScan buddy. If you found one wiling to download and upload your flash, I bet they'd also be happy to make the gear change for you as well. If you find somebody and they'd prefer not to tune for you for whatever reason shoot me your .tun file. If you want to go to the trouble to pull your PCM I could deal with that too.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Idavette98
Racer

Originally Posted by ToplessTexan
No compatability issues. It's worth checking around. If you find somebody, they can make this change for you w/o burning a license. ('98 programming is unlimited.) I'd be happy to do it for you but I'd need your flash file. To get that you need a local FlashScan buddy. If you found one wiling to download and upload your flash, I bet they'd also be happy to make the gear change for you as well. If you find somebody and they'd prefer not to tune for you for whatever reason shoot me your .tun file. If you want to go to the trouble to pull your PCM I could deal with that too.
Thanks again. Very generous offer indeed!
I need to find a local buddy as helpful and knowledgeable as you! The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:37 AM
maacoman
Racer

I'm dealing with the same thing, did a gear swap and converter and now it kicks in and out of lockup in my case only above 76 mph to 82 mph. any time other than that and it is fine. I clear the DIC when I'm driving and all is fine. Cam goes in this weekend and tune is next. Be easy on the Go pedal until you can get a tune.
John
Old 10-28-2005, 08:16 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

80 is where the stock TCC release is (also influenced by TPS) so that looks about right. For a big converter, the release can be really obvious.

Idavette98, give a shout if you need anything. I'm happy to help where I can.

Get notified of new replies

To PCM P1870 C code ??

Quick Reply: PCM P1870 C code ??