C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear subframe question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 09:15 PM
jwalton
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default rear subframe question...

New (obviously) to the forums, so thanks for all the future help.

I just came back from getting a little more agressive alignment put on the car. I lowered it on the stock bolts a little over 1/2" and tried to get -1.5 deg camber in the back and -1.25 deg camber in front. Got the front done without much effort but the back was something else. It seems as if the rear subframe is shifted towards the passenger side of the car. With the alignment cams on the left rear at maximum (but still good numbers for caster and toe), the right rear were only about half way used up. I'm sitting at about -1 deg camber in the back. My tech guy said that he could probably get at least another degree or so if he wanted on the right side, but the left could obviously go no further.

We looked at the subframe and it looks as though it's located with dowels, so it ain't moving. I'm the 2nd owner, my dad was the first, and neither of us have hit anything that would have bent any suspension components.

Is this common? I'm guessing not. Can the rear subframe be centered with those monster dowels or am I pretty much done with the alignment short of spending stupid money?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-18-2005, 09:32 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes you can remove shims from the upper control arms.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:18 AM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem on my road race car... -1.5* on the left and 0* maximum on the right. My solution was to remove the aluminum bearing carrier (knuckle) on the right rear and I milled the bearing surface with -1.5* cut. This gave me an even -1.5* camber on both rear sides which is what I wanted.
Shirl Dickey
Old 11-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I can tell you from experience having R&R'd the rear subframe myself, that absolutely, there IS side-to-side and front-to-rear play within the mounting holes / pins.

Those pins are there to help locate the subframe on the assembly line. It’s not like you have an interference fit between the hole in the frame and the pins.

So yes, if you loosen the 4 carrier bolts, you can shift it around a bit, re-tighten. Just make sure you know which direction to go.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:13 AM
jwalton
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys. Live and learn with this thing I suppose.

I just sold my 3rd gen RX-7 to get this (the guy literally drove off in the 7 about an hour and a half ago <sniff>) and was totally in tune with all the little idiosyncracies of that car and am having to start all over again. Nice that it'll at least be reliable!!!

Thanks again,
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To rear subframe question...

Quick Reply: rear subframe question...