C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Gauge Went to Empty - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 11:22 PM
John Nowak PE
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gas Gauge Went to Empty - HELP!!

I've never had problems with this car, until now. I have a 2001 Coupe with 7,300 mi. , MN6, fully loaded. Tonight while driving home from work, the gas gauge suddenly dropped to empty and triggered the displays associated with low fuel. I remember reading a post, or two, on this subject, but I can't seem to get the search engine to recall them.

After I noticed the problem, I looked for a highway patrol (thinking radar did like the other posts suggested). I didn't see one anywhere. The only thing I passed shortly before this happened was a tow truck beginning to hook up to another vehicle on the side of the road (facing opposite direction as me). When I got home, I thought maybe I spaced out reading the gauge properly before I left town and I really was out of gas :confused: (I remember reading 1/2 tank when I left - 35 mi. back). I shut the car off when I stopped to get the mail, pulled the key, waited 30 sec., restarted car; gauge still at "E". After I parked the car, I poured over 3 (close to 4) gallons of gas into the tank. Then restarted car; gauge still on "E" :mad: . Any ideas??? Or, is it dealer time? Thanks for your help!!!
Old 08-02-2001, 11:25 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gas Gauge Went to Empty - HELP!! (John Nowak PE)

Replace Left & Right Fuel Senders, Warranty :chevy
Old 08-02-2001, 11:39 PM
goldman
Pro

I had the problem occasionally, then it got more frequent...
Your DIC error codes should tell you which sensor it is. For many people, like me, it was only the right side sensor I had to replace. For others it's both, For some people the problem goes away & doesn't reoccur... If it's warranty try to get them to replace both.

[Modified by goldman, 9:40 PM 8/2/2001]
Old 08-02-2001, 11:41 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

It took my dealer three shots to get it right (replaced the same part, the right sender, each time.) :mad: Still not sure it's "fixed" but it has a couple hundred miles on it w/o going to empty. Just thankful to have it back in one piece at this point.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:03 AM
John Nowak PE
Racer

Default Re: Gas Gauge Went to Empty - HELP!! (ToplessTexan)

Thanks everyone for your quick responses!!! :D :D

I stepped away and checked (and cleared) the trouble codes. Amazingly, the gas guage started working normally (it shows about 1/2 tank now)

Anyway here are the codes I found:

PCM - P1431HC
LDCM - B2252H, B2282H, B2284H, U1064H
RDCM - B2283H, B2285H, B2263H, B2265H, U1064H
RFA - U1000H, U1255H, U1064H, U1096H

Excuse my ignorance; I haven't been able to talk the better half into letting me buy a service manual yet. Is there anything else I need to worry about? Should I still take it to the dealer or wait and see if the problem/codes repeat?

Again, Thanks For Your Help!
Old 08-03-2001, 12:11 AM
BruceF
Le Mans Master

It's the P1431 that's key here:

Previously posted by C-5 Tech:
Bulletin #01-06-04-022 has since been updated and now addresses 1997-2000,so here it is...

INACCURATE/ERRATIC FUEL LEVEL GAGE READINGS(INSTALL NEW SENSOR AND RH FUEL SENDER ASSEMBLY)

CONDITION: Some owners may comment about inaccurate/erratic fuel level gauge reading conditions such as those indicated
below...
.Fuel gage suddenly drops to E and CHECK GAUGES message illuminates(DTC P1431 or P0461
set)
.Fuel gauge does not go to full after filling
.Vehicle runs out of fuel while gauge still indicates fuel available

CAUSE:The condition above may be the result of one or a combination of more than one of the causes indicated below...

.Stuck or intermittent sticking of the sensor
float arm.
.Clogged or restricted RH fuel senser assembly jet pump.
.RH jet pump unable to transfer fuel due to fuel vaporazation resulting in bubble
accumalation in the strainer.

CORRECTION:Inspect the julian date codes on the bar code labels attatched to the RH & LH
fuel level sender assembly cover plates.If the RH sender date code is less than "01301"
replace the complete assembly with a new fuel
sender.If the LH sender date code is less than "32791" replace the LH fuel level sensor
and strainer...

PART NUMBERS:
88896043-RH FUEL SENDER 1997-1999
88895126 RH FUEL SENDER 2000
88899034 LH FUEL SENSOR KIT 1997-2000
12458245 LH FUEL STRAINER KIT 1997-1999
12459862 LH FUEL STRAINER KIT 2000
PARTS ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GMSPO...

The tanks do not need to be removed to perform the bulletin...99% of all electrical faults are intermittent,so of course they will not
be able to duplicate the condition.
Have them perform the bulletin and bring your vehicle in with 1/4 tank...
Old 08-03-2001, 12:25 AM
John Nowak PE
Racer

Default Re: Gas Gauge Went to Empty - HELP!! (BruceF)

Thanks BruceF! :D

I assume the bulletin would also apply to 2001 models. Any of the other codes indicate a serious problem?

I guess I'll be calling the dealer first thing in the morning. At least they have treated me very well so far; hopefully my luck will hold.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:34 AM
BruceF
Le Mans Master

Thanks BruceF! :D

I assume the bulletin would also apply to 2001 models. Any of the other codes indicate a serious problem?

I guess I'll be calling the dealer first thing in the morning. At least they have treated me very well so far; hopefully my luck will hold.
You're welcome

Technically, the bulliten doesn't apply to 2001s. But, it's been happening in them. I assume early cars have parts that fall prior to the date codes in the bulliten. But, I'm not sure how the codes translate.

As for the other codes, I'll have to look them up and get back to you later. Have you noticed any problems with the door controls or operation?
Old 08-03-2001, 12:50 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

John, the other codes look to be fairly typical communication codes. Nice to be aware of them, but no biggy if it hasn't been suffering from any odd behaviors.

Just FYI, there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence that the sending unit issues are heat related. Mine got so bad for example that I couldn't drive for more than an hour or so without it dropping. Maybe your dealer luck will hold, but I would be ready for multiple trips just in case.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:23 PM
Speed-Racer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Gas Gauge Went to Empty - HELP!! (ToplessTexan)

Like was mentioned, dealer will fix this.

Old 08-03-2001, 01:33 PM
SoCal C5
Drifting

Default Re: Gas Gauge Went to Empty - HELP!! (MelloYellow)

Replace Left & Right Fuel Senders, Warranty :chevy
Ditto... It happened to me a few times so I took the car to the dealer and that is exactly what they did. I seems to be fine now.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:05 PM
4THTOY
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 98 that this is just starting to happen, does anyone know if GM will cover the charge as my car is over 3 years old?
Thanks
Ira
Old 08-03-2001, 02:22 PM
slogan_98
Instructor

Default Re: Gas Gauge Went to Empty - HELP!! (3rdtoy)

3rdtoy,
I am in the same boat. My 98 only has 23K miles but was titled over 36 months ago so the factory warranty has run out. So unless you have extended they won't fix it. If by some chance they did a recall down the road it would be covered but since this problem has been around since the '97 model year I doubt it will happen.
Steve

PS-The good news is that the parts are available at gmpartsdirect for under 200.00 and the tank(s) doent have to be pulled.

[Modified by slogan_98, 4:44 PM 8/3/2001]
Old 08-03-2001, 05:01 PM
chuck99
Heel & Toe

John,

It happened to my 99 convertible numerous times. I got stranded several times on the high way because of this problem.
I sent it in two times to two different dealers for the repairment. The first dealer did not fix it at all, because I got stranded just after I picked up my car and trusted the tank still had gas, and of course I was fooled by the guage again.

The second dealer replaced the part again. So far, I don't know if it has been fixed or not because I have not driven long enough to test it out.

The point is that no matter you send you car in to get it "fixed" or not, always display the mileage counter on the DIC when you drive the car. Never ever trust that damn fuel guage!!!

Chuck99
Old 08-03-2001, 05:54 PM
FireGuy
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

I had my 99 Coupe in for the same thing recently. They did not have the sending units in stock so now I have to wait for them to come in. But after my experience with this dealership I do not think I will be returning there. http://www.corvetteforum.cc:88/zerothread?id=381 :mad
Old 08-03-2001, 08:44 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

My 99 used to do it. It went to empty several times and ran out once with 1 red line still showing on the guage. I never got the sensors changed and it hasn't done it for over 10,000 miles, (now at 42,000). I guess the sensors wore themselves in!
Old 08-03-2001, 09:52 PM
John Nowak PE
Racer

Default Re: Gas Gauge Went to Empty - HELP!! (adamsocb)

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your help. This is the reason why I frequent this forum.

Update: My dealer was very helpful. They do not have the parts in stock, but have ordered them. The parts are expected to be here by the middle of next week and they assured me they will get it fixed and thouroughly check the car over. They also said that they have done one of these before. Hopefully, all this means I'll get my car fixed right the first time.

Thanks again!!! I'll keep you posted of my results.

John Nowak

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Gauge Went to Empty - HELP!!

Old 01-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Digby928
2nd Gear

Default Sticking gas gage

Has anyone tried Textron added to the fuel system. Works everytime.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:05 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Digby928
Has anyone tried Textron added to the fuel system. Works everytime.
Yes it helps You do realize how old this thread is right?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:16 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoken1
You do realize how old this thread is right?
I still had my C4 when this thread was started

Quick Reply: Gas Gauge Went to Empty - HELP!!