C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

572ci motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by turboc5
Are you going to drive this on the street? Those pro stock motors dont even have water jackets, at least not much of one. I believe they arn't even oem blocks. Arn't they dart blocks, and rebult after every couple of runs? If you do a bbc motor, it would look like your afraid of technolgy. Why would you want a 40 year old engine? I don't listen to a 40 year old radio. Dosen't make sence. Just do a turbo lsx motor. Over 1000 HP at the wheels on a stock looking/driving vette. http://www.lingenfelter.com/C620054271038hp.mpg

Its just a 573 not a pro stcok motor. A prostock car witht his motor whould be slow. A pro stock has way more horsepower.

Put a turbo on a 572 and see how it perfroms. It whould be way faster than a turbo'd lsx.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:16 PM
turboc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yellow73SB

Its just a 573 not a pro stcok motor. A prostock car witht his motor whould be slow. A pro stock has way more horsepower.

Put a turbo on a 572 and see how it perfroms. It whould be way faster than a turbo'd lsx.
Good luck getting 1200hp out of a daily drivable, fuel efficent bbc. It will get 5mpg do what you will to your c3. I love getting over 30mpg hw mpg with 400hp, with my ac,cruse and radio on and theirs no reason you couldn't do that with Lingenfelters turbo lsx, well maby hw mpg would drop to the mid to lower 20's
Old 01-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Big Block C5 by GM

The factory has already placed a BB in a C5. GM tech put an all aluminum BB the new "ZL1" style with twin turbos, and all under the hood. It was and or still is a very neat piece. This car {a yellow Vette coupe} was at the Detroit Autorama a couple of years ago in the all GM display. So they do fit!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Heretic
The 572 is a tall deck block. This block is basically the same one used in hundreds of garbage trucks and school busses through the years. Now ask yourself, do you want a Corvette engine in your Z06 or a garbage truck engine?
Last I remember Garbage Trucks ran on diesel

you're saying you WOULDNT want to see this beast wedged in a C5?
Old 01-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Heretic
Pro

Originally Posted by Ironcross
The factory has already placed a BB in a C5. GM tech put an all aluminum BB the new "ZL1" style with twin turbos, and all under the hood. It was and or still is a very neat piece. This car {a yellow Vette coupe} was at the Detroit Autorama a couple of years ago in the all GM display. So they do fit!

A short deck BBC might fit with the right intake. You'd have to have an LT1 style EFI manifold fabricated.

The tall deck blocks are .4" taller than a regular block (like the 454 and 502) that .4 might not sound like much until you try finding intake manifolds, distributors and headers. I know for a fact that hooker 2" primary headers that fit fine in a 69 Camaro with a 454 will not fit with a 572 tall deck.

With the right parts you can build a short deck block with 540cid. This is the motor I'm building for my 69 Camaro. It has a 4.5" bore bow-tie block and 4.25" crank. I don't knock BBCs they are awesome in cars that fit them, and are an inexpensive way to get huge HP and torque numbers. I just don't know why GM chose to build a tall deck crate motor, it makes no sense to me. There are serious fitment issues in the majority of the classics.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by turboc5
Good luck getting 1200hp out of a daily drivable, fuel efficent bbc. It will get 5mpg do what you will to your c3. I love getting over 30mpg hw mpg with 400hp, with my ac,cruse and radio on and theirs no reason you couldn't do that with Lingenfelters turbo lsx, well maby hw mpg would drop to the mid to lower 20's
Who cares about fuel efficency. You shouldn't be driving your corvette with 1000 plus horsepower as a daily driver anyways. It cost me over 100 dollars to fill my tank with cam 2 . I guess gas mileage is the only thing that you guys have. Do what you want your c5 Maybe clean your wheels they have major brake dust build up.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:49 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A short deck BBC might fit with the right intake. You'd have to have an LT1 style EFI manifold fabricated.

The tall deck blocks are .4" taller than a regular block (like the 454 and 502) that .4 might not sound like much until you try finding intake manifolds, distributors and headers. I know for a fact that hooker 2" primary headers that fit fine in a 69 Camaro with a 454 will not fit with a 572 tall deck.

With the right parts you can build a short deck block with 540cid. This is the motor I'm building for my 69 Camaro. It has a 4.5" bore bow-tie block and 4.25" crank. I don't knock BBCs they are awesome in cars that fit them, and are an inexpensive way to get huge HP and torque numbers. I just don't know why GM chose to build a tall deck crate motor, it makes no sense to me. There are serious fitment issues in the majority of the classics.
I would think a tall deck is for a longer stroke crank w/ long rods.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:59 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow03ZO6
will a 572ci crate motor fit in a 03 ZO6? anybody know? has it been done already?
Why just an old plain jane BBC for when you can have a chevy HEMI.

Now this is a motor.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2006, 04:22 PM
c-5-steve
Racer

Originally Posted by Yellow03ZO6
will a 572ci crate motor fit in a 03 ZO6? anybody know? has it been done already?
To answer your question, yes anything is possible.
But I would ask why? I can only think of 2 reasons a person would think of this.

1. for a show car. 2. To build a drag race car. The trouble with #2 is the drive train would never hold up to the tq of the 572. high hp vettes have a problem getting traction now as it is, and the extra weight in the front and combine it with the tq of the 572 and your going to get beat by "smaller" Ls motored vettes who get better traction. Also the Independent rear suspention on a vette is not the best set up for drag racing a straight axel is. are you going to change that also? You would have so much money into a project like this you could probably by a used pro stock car and race it instead. If you wanted to build a killer street car this wouldn't work well either, because you could never maintain traction. I can allmost break traction at will with my stock c5 a unbalanced high tq c5 would be very dangerous. IMO

p.s.

would you like to sell your LS6 cheap
Old 01-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

something like this would look really out of place eh??... who would want such a junk garbage truck engine in their car.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:18 AM
Heretic
Pro

Originally Posted by RED99
I would think a tall deck is for a longer stroke crank w/ long rods.
This I know, but the 32 extra cubes over a 540 is not worth the installation problems.

GM should have built a 540" crate instead, this is 95% of the displacement of the 572, but does not have the fitment issues of the tall deck block.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Heretic
Pro

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
something like this would look really out of place eh??... who would want such a junk garbage truck engine in their car.

Thats a short deck block. Look at the distance between the head gasket and the top of the water pump boss.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:40 PM
TXNC5
Racer

Your car might have to look something like this

SDPC will be selling the ERL 'Superdeck'. It will easily support 500". We had one on display at PRI. I can't find the pictures right now. It will be pricey though.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats a short deck block. Look at the distance between the head gasket and the top of the water pump boss.
no one said it was a 10.2 block, you can get more than 572 out of a 9.8 block.

Quick Reply: 572ci motor