C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANY drawbacks AT ALL using AMW catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 09:54 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Default ANY drawbacks AT ALL using AMW catch can?

I just installed it, but a few yrs back, when I had the Campbell Hausfeld jar separator, I had a performance drop off & removed it..

The AMW seems the way to go with higher compression & HP cars now..

Anyone have any issues since they installed it?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:58 AM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL
I just installed it, but a few yrs back, when I had the Campbell Hausfeld jar separator, I had a performance drop off & removed it..

Could you explain the performance drop-off? I'm curious.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:02 AM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArKay99
There was a popular thread a few years ago about people feeling or seeing strip performance reduced with CH inline. I was doing some dyno runs then so I ran with and without in subsequent runs with +1hp with CH -so no impact.
I run a big Ebay AMW style now and highly reccomend it.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:01 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Originally Posted by ArKay99
Alot of us felt performance was sluggish with the CH air separator jar..
The culprit was found to be the air stone type filter in the jar..
Most guys removed it & got much more oil in the jar, others drilled a hole in it...

However, the AMW catch can seems to be the way to go..
But, I haven't heard any negatives on it, so I wanted to make a post just to see if anyone had anything to say on it, and so far, the AMW is getting all thumbs up..
Old 02-03-2006, 12:31 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Alot of us felt performance was sluggish with the CH air separator jar..
The culprit was found to be the air stone type filter in the jar..
Most guys removed it & got much more oil in the jar, others drilled a hole in it...

However, the AMW catch can seems to be the way to go..
But, I haven't heard any negatives on it, so I wanted to make a post just to see if anyone had anything to say on it, and so far, the AMW is getting all thumbs up..
Hmm, I wonder if it could be attributed to a possible bottleneck in airflow created by the stone. The stone could reduce the amount of vacuum seen in the cranckcase from the PCV and create less ring seal. Of course this is just a proposal for an explaination, but I've read where positive crankcase pressure would reduce ring seal among other things and therefore performance.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:16 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

I have an AMW Catch Can on mine and it has worked without any issues. I also removed the oil filler cap and installed a chrome breather to assist and this has also helped
Old 02-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Same setup: AMW Catch Can and Chrome Oil Breather Filter Cap. Works great! No problem at all during road racing events. The AMW system collects a significant amount of oil, which would otherwise go into the intake manifold.

Originally Posted by peter pan
I have an AMW Catch Can on mine and it has worked without any issues. I also removed the oil filler cap and installed a chrome breather to assist and this has also helped

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 02-03-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:44 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I have the CH and just broke off the stone filter...you don't need it anyway. Your not filtering anything, just catching excess oil. I can't see how this is any different than the AMW except for capacity
Old 02-03-2006, 03:38 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, how about a little more info on the Chrome Oil Breather Cap, is it a direct 1/2 screw on cap like the stock cap or do you need some type of adapter? and where did you get it?

I have been running an AMW catch can for over a year but a breather would be a great addition.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is a link on the PFYC site to their Chrome Oil Breather Cap: http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...y_Code=VTUNDER
Old 02-03-2006, 04:34 PM
SteveDR425
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoHo
Hey guys, how about a little more info on the Chrome Oil Breather Cap, is it a direct 1/2 screw on cap like the stock cap or do you need some type of adapter? and where did you get it?

I have been running an AMW catch can for over a year but a breather would be a great addition.

I installed my breather a few days ago. However, while it did screw in where the stock oil cap was located, it would have crushed the breather when I closed the hood (I checked the clearance before closing the hood). So, what I did was to cut a circle in the insulator (I think that’s what it’s called) which shaved off enough space for the hood to close with no problems.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:39 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Here is a link on the PFYC site to their Chrome Oil Breather Cap: http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...y_Code=VTUNDER
Why is this used?
And wouldn't it affect fuel trims & require new tuning?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:16 PM
QKSLVR Z
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

changed over to AMW from the CH.. no problems so far

Old 02-03-2006, 10:55 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Is an oil catch can really necessary for the average street driver??

I've seen some posts that say it's great for those who run alot of WOT, but as I use my Vette for commuting, highway driving, but no track, do I really need an oil catch can?
Old 02-04-2006, 07:36 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gpotski

I've seen some posts that say it's great for those who run alot of WOT, but as I use my Vette for commuting, highway driving, but no track, do I really need an oil catch can?
I don't think I beat on my car excessively, but when I had the TB off I took a look inside and there was a decent puddle of oil in the manifold.

Chris
Old 02-04-2006, 11:24 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Necessary? Definitely not.

I got one because I wanted to keep my tune accurate without cooked oil bumping my compression and causing knock at the track.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:53 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I went from a CH filter installed in normal directional position to AMW, then back to CH filter installed in reverse. The result? A dry hose after the filter. The AMW does not, from my experience, filter the oil out of the crankcase vapors as well as the CH filter. (They do work well, though, just not AS well.) For example, the hose between the AMW and the intake was not nearly as wet as no catch-can, but ever since I installed the CH backwards, my hose to the intake is completely dry.

Oh, and for those who think the stone in not needed, it sure is for best results. I also ran a small bead of RV sealant inside the bowl about 1/4 of the way from the top to prevent the oil frokm creeping back up the bowl. Not sure if it did creep up the bowl, but I figured it might help.

And, for those that think the bowl is too small, you can just buy the larger CH filter for $30 or so.

For me, the little $14 CH filter is perfect. It's small, and works extremely well. I mounted mine in the battery compartment. Because I have that bead of RV sealant inside the bowl, I removed the valve on the bottom of the CH filter, and installed a small ball check valve from the plumbing department at Home Depot which enables me to drain the oil out the bottom of the filter, instead of having to pour oil out the top past the RV sealant bead.

I also like the fact that because the CH filter bowl is clear, I can easily see how much oil is being collected without having to remove the unit, as I had to do with the AMW.

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 02-05-2006 at 03:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ANY drawbacks AT ALL using AMW catch can?

Old 02-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Is anyone using the one LPE sells? From the pictures it looks like there is a fine mesh screen basket that fits inside the can. It seems to me, that the screen would do a better job of collecting the oil droplets, as the air passed through it.

Last edited by Greg_E; 02-05-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:21 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 311 Likes on 210 Posts

Mine is a daily driver (with a little WOT every now and then) and I have about 3/8 to 1/2" of oil in the AMW at every oil change.....so yes, I'd say its necessary....or at least it gives me some comfort knowing this oil isn't building up in the cylinders.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:51 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterC5
Mine is a daily driver (with a little WOT every now and then) and I have about 3/8 to 1/2" of oil in the AMW at every oil change.....so yes, I'd say its necessary....or at least it gives me some comfort knowing this oil isn't building up in the cylinders.
Everyone should have SOME sort of catch-can.

Quick Reply: ANY drawbacks AT ALL using AMW catch can?