C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power window problem on c5 any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 07:11 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default power window problem on c5 any suggestions

today I drove my car to work the window on both sides were working fine. I parked the car after lunch and when i got in the car this afternoon the window on the drivers side will not go up or down. I dont hear a clicking sound it appears that the window is not getting power. No other problems just the window stopped working on the drivers side. My vette is a 2000 coupe that I bought new... Any suggestions on whatthe problem might be or what I can do to fix it?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:46 PM
jim49tx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know if this helps but my right side window quit on me the other day. Someone said to slam the door real hard. I did and nothing happened. The next day I hit the button and now it has worked fine for almost a week. Go FIGURE!!!! Oh, I did have the clicking noise in the motor and you said your makes no sound at all - but heck give it a try. Best to have someone hold down the button for the window on the opposite side from the door you are going to slam....

Jim
Old 03-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Get an assistant. Power the window button while pushing down on the window and then hit the door panel right in the middle behind the door pull. If this works, you are in good shape until next time. If it doesn't, go on Ebay and get a new regulator/motor from SMC performance.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron C!:
C.O. Jones (03-12-2018), Chevy666 (02-02-2018)
Old 03-14-2006, 11:48 PM
stsears1
Racer

Originally Posted by Ron C!
Get an assistant. Power the window button while pushing down on the window and then hit the door panel right in the middle behind the door pull. If this works, you are in good shape until next time. If it doesn't, go on Ebay and get a new regulator/motor from SMC performance.
this actually worked for me.....
The following users liked this post:
joelschl (07-01-2020)
Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 AM
TonyJr
Cruising

I know this is an old post, but thanks. Just tried this on my car. A slight rap on the inside of the door and the window started operating again.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:06 PM
2003 electronblue
Burning Brakes

Just had a smilar problem mine was the regulator...
Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 PM
rabnestic
Instructor

1997 c5with 106k and now I'm having the same issue. Neither window working intermittently. I'll try this fix tonight. Good for me it's in a garage.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Vulcan73
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Greeetings all...I joined this forum in 2005 but this is my first posting.

I had a stuck passenger window too and I'm happy to report that the trick of wapping the motor with a hammer worked for me. I read as much as I could find on the web and everything pointed to a sticky drive mechanism. The slamming of the door did not work but I used a small tack hammer and wacked the motor a few times with the button depressed and sure 'nuff she jumped alive.

I'll make it a point to cycle the passenger window from time to time. If it sticks again, then I'll pull the motor and lube the mechanism.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:31 PM
talon46
Instructor

Default infrequent common problem

Mine has had it several times,

simple need a torx head to remove the 2 bolts that hold your door panal on have the remove the plastic cover over that, first

Second - remove the door pull cover gently prying it out

Third - Then get a medium size screw driver or if your not a gorrilla and can remove the panal by pulling on the bottom without breaking it break it loose, when you remove the door panel the door window switch is the only electrical part that is connected to the door. becareful not to yank it out. It pops up if you pry on it from the front part that is facing the front of the car with door closed.

Next large speaker in the door, has about 6-8 screws holding it in, remove all of them, that will expose the inside of your door. there is a silver looking thing that is almost pointy, thats the window regulator, rap on that it may come back to life. If I am not driving my vette when its humid it seems to stick more often, exercise your window often.

This applies mostly when you can depress the button and hear the click, if your not hearing the clcik, do a search there was a post awhile back that talked about taking apart the black box that is also behind the door panel and doing some minor electrical work in it. Loose connections or bad ones.

I have done this about 8 times with my car I have it down to about 10 minutes now start to finish.

Good luck
Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Logansar
Pro

Default Just go ahead....

Order a regulator from GMPartsDirect and then put it in or pay a tech to do it. Other wise it will be a pain until you replace it.

Just my opinion from traveling that road.

Sarge
Old 07-29-2017, 02:16 PM
touring2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default drivers side clicks but doesnt operate

CF brothers rock. Finished hot day HPDE, and window wouldnt raise. This tip worked and saved me a whole lotta heartburn.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:36 PM
C.O. Jones
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

This tip is timeless. It just worked on my 2000 C5!
The following 2 users liked this post by C.O. Jones:
joelschl (07-01-2020), Ron C! (03-14-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:33 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

This may be a timeless tip, but it really belongs in the C5 Tech section. Moving it over there.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:50 AM
TorchCoupe97
Instructor

I had the same problem. I took the motor out and cleaned the internal brushes, and cleaned the corrosion off the connectors. There is a link somewhere on the process.
The following users liked this post:
joelschl (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 03:19 AM
joelschl
1st Gear

Originally Posted by stsears1
this actually worked for me.....
It worked like a charm for me too!
Old 08-09-2021, 09:11 PM
The Former
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 172 Posts

I took my door panel off, tapped the regulator mounting bolts w/ a hammer and "Voila!" Fixed! Thanks for this site. Otherwise I'd be at a GM dealership getting it unlubed in the can.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:22 PM
Bigcash1$
3rd Gear

Default Windows

Originally Posted by talon46
Mine has had it several times,

simple need a torx head to remove the 2 bolts that hold your door panal on have the remove the plastic cover over that, first

Second - remove the door pull cover gently prying it out

Third - Then get a medium size screw driver or if your not a gorrilla and can remove the panal by pulling on the bottom without breaking it break it loose, when you remove the door panel the door window switch is the only electrical part that is connected to the door. becareful not to yank it out. It pops up if you pry on it from the front part that is facing the front of the car with door closed.

Next large speaker in the door, has about 6-8 screws holding it in, remove all of them, that will expose the inside of your door. there is a silver looking thing that is almost pointy, thats the window regulator, rap on that it may come back to life. If I am not driving my vette when its humid it seems to stick more often, exercise your window often.

This applies mostly when you can depress the button and hear the click, if your not hearing the clcik, do a search there was a post awhile back that talked about taking apart the black box that is also behind the door panel and doing some minor electrical work in it. Loose connections or bad ones.

I have done this about 8 times with my car I have it down to about 10 minutes now start to finish.

Good luck
I have a similar problem. My driver side window won’t go up or down put I here some kind of ticking for a second. I replaced the switch and the regulator but still won’t work?? Does the black box on the door control all that?? Cause a guy said he could fix the box if it had locking problems?? I could really use some help please. Thanks for any help!!

Get notified of new replies

To power window problem on c5 any suggestions

Old 02-13-2022, 10:49 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcash1$
I have a similar problem. My driver side window won’t go up or down put I here some kind of ticking for a second. I replaced the switch and the regulator but still won’t work?? Does the black box on the door control all that?? Cause a guy said he could fix the box if it had locking problems?? I could really use some help please. Thanks for any help!!
Welcome to the Forum and it's always best to start a NEW thread...that way one doesn't have to scroll down pages of an old post...what year is the car ??...you should fill out your profile (not in the thread) with model year, mods, tune and your location...there are differences in wiring and components and their locations. Instead of firing parts at it if you're good with electrical troubleshooting try that first...you need to check for power to the switch and to the regulator...and yes, the driver door module "black box" controls the drivers window.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:41 PM
Bigcash1$
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
Welcome to the Forum and it's always best to start a NEW thread...that way one doesn't have to scroll down pages of an old post...what year is the car ??...you should fill out your profile (not in the thread) with model year, mods, tune and your location...there are differences in wiring and components and their locations. Instead of firing parts at it if you're good with electrical troubleshooting try that first...you need to check for power to the switch and to the regulator...and yes, the driver door module "black box" controls the drivers window.

I’m having a hard time getting to use this site??
how to fill out my profile? And start a new thread, how. I don’t understand how to move around in this site? Any instructions to help?? I have a 03 convertible.
Thanks
Old 02-13-2022, 12:52 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcash1$
I’m having a hard time getting to use this site??
how to fill out my profile? And start a new thread, how. I don’t understand how to move around in this site? Any instructions to help?? I have a 03 convertible.
Thanks
Click on “C5 Tech” and you’ll see “New Thread” as in the picture and if you click on your username in the upper right there is a drop down for “My Profile” !!

Quick Reply: power window problem on c5 any suggestions